Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Just a little to the left. >

Just a little to the left.

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Just a little to the left.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just a little to the left.

I bought my 9 year old his first .22. I got him a JC Higgins Single Shot Bolt Action. Took it out and it shoots about 6' to the left. The front sight is fixed and the rear sight can only be adjusted up and down & not left to right. The guy at the gun shop said to "bend the barrel" just a wisker to help it out. I figured I would scope it. I have never bent a rifle barrel and sure would hate to screw it up. What do you think.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just a little to the left.

DO NOT BEND THE BARREL. The "guy" at the gun shop is an idiot and to suggest such a dangerous action to an amateur should receive a beating. Post a picture of your sights and I assure you there is a way to adjust them whether its DIY, reqs a gunsmith or requires a new adj peep sights etc. There are always options.

edit: Also include at what range it is six feet off. 6 inches at 20 yds is alot different than 6 inches at 100.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guy at the gunshop is a dumb ass. Depending on how far you are trying to shoot 6' is either really bad or marginally better than throwing rocks. Find someone who knows guns and have them look at it, the problem should be obvious.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Dont try to bend your barrel, that takes a barrel press and a geart deal of experience and if not done correctly is maximum dangerous![:-]
Just how far is it off at what range as the other guys asked? Try bending your front sight a tad. Yep... just a tad, do you know howbig a tad is? me neither!hehehe
Bend a very small... 5 thousands/inch at a time and try er' out.
This of course, if after close examination by a qualified gunsmith, nothing can be found wrong with the gun.
The sight base may have been soldiered on crooked, you can remove that and put it back on straight. But you'll have to reblue and all that.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't want to put a scope on it (everybody should learn how to use rifle sights, IMO), you could also check into putting a Williams receiver (peep) sight on it. They make both a standard dovetailed adjustable version, and a micrometer adjustable version (which would be my choice). The Williams sights are great sights, and would be just the ticket for your boy's .22.

Mike

Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I basically agree with most of the previous diagnoses....but have you considered just selling or trading it on something else that won't require a bunch of corrective measures that may or may not work? If that barrel is not in plane with the receiver, a receiver-mounted scope will not be in plane with the barrel. Could lead to some severe cussing past the point it was sighted in for....
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Due to my ignorance, I did not know how to adjust the rear sight. Now I do. I now have it sighted in (without bending the barrel) and it shoots good. Its just a starter rifle for my 9 year old. He has a 410 and a .22 revolver but this is his first rifle. Once heout growshis guns, he willget a betterones with bells and whistles.But for now, just like the 410....single shot, he has to make them count and I load the rifle for him at the rangeso he doesnt know if its a live round or a dud. He doesnt flich any more. I did this with his 410 and he is turning into quite a good shot. God I love this sport!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good and a great way to discourage flinching. I hope he continues to have a good time and enjoy this "stuff". The future generations are the key to survival. Congrats.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. He also has his first compound bow. Its just a little cheapy but he is learning all the fundamentals and is learning how to shoot it accuratly. His b-day is in August and im pretty sure he is getting a nice new bow. I cant wait for the day he starts to out shoot me, then I will be one proud papa!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well - I am glad you figured out your problem with the rifle. And even more pleased that you are getting your son involved with shooting and possibly hunting. I believe that I am going to purchase a Cricket rifle for my grandson in a little bit. He will be 5 next month and I think its time he begins to learn gun safety. IMO that is the problem with a lot of kids today. They are not trained properly in safe gun handling and the dangers of them. Then they find a gun lying around through an adult's stupidity and injure or kill someone with it. Then the gun is to blame. I blame the parents for their own ignorance.

Quick Reply: Just a little to the left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.