Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best bang for the buck ??? >

Best bang for the buck ???

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best bang for the buck ???

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Best bang for the buck ???

Looking to get a new automatic pistol .
Mostly for plunking , practice and defence .
Looking at either a 22 cal. most economical to shoot or possibly a heavier cal. like a 40 cal..
Any ideas on a nice gun at a reasonable price .
Whats a litely used XD 40 cal, kit worth ???
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best bang for the buck ???

i have a 40
USP compact
got a great deal on it outside the post, Fort Polk
the thing with 40 is it's kind of an odd ball round if ya ask me
if i had to do it all over again i would have got the 9mm
just my 2 cents though

as far as model i have fired quite a few manuf. models and to tell you the truth i have yet to shoot a really bad automatic
i know what i am capable of doing with one at 15 yrds and to me there is really no big difference between say a ruger or S&W or H&K
every pistol like a specific ammo better then the rest so find out what that is and your golden
only difference i see usually between most brands is the price to be honest
Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a Ruger Mark III 22lr for plinking this weekend for $260. Its a classic pistol and well made. For the money its one of the best 22's out there.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best bang for the buck is exactly what rugerM77 got. Unless you can find a used ruger mk2 target pistol, the 22/45 is the best possible economy accurate handgun you'll find-both purchase price AND cost of shooting. They're more accurate than you'll be able to shoot them. The only mod I would suggest is to have a trigger job or aftermarket trigger installed. I HIGHLY recommend you start out shooting a .22 to get the basics down such as trigger control & sight picture without sinking a LOAD of money into ammo costs. Then after you get to be an accomplished shooter, move up to a centerfire handgun.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I took a look at the Sig Mosquito 22 lr pistol .
Nice looking gun .
I ve read old reveiws and they didnt seam to prays the gun any .
Has Sig made any changes or mods to the newest sig Mosquito ????
Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TRACKER

I took a look at the Sig Mosquito 22 lr pistol .
Nice looking gun .
I ve read old reveiws and they didnt seam to prays the gun any .
Has Sig made any changes or mods to the newest sig Mosquito ????
You might try going over to the Sig forum, registering and posting this question there. I'm a big fan ofSigpistols butas you stated, there are a lot of reports of problems with the Mosquitos.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I just picked up a Sig p220 .45 and I love it. It was pre owned but it shoots great and is loved muchmore now than it was before....boy was it dirty when I got it. Its not as plinker but I will agree that Sig make a good pistol.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

I just picked up a Sig p220 .45 and I love it. It was pre owned but it shoots great and is loved muchmore now than it was before....boy was it dirty when I got it. Its not as plinker but I will agree that Sig make a good pistol.

If I ever get another .45 ACP, the P220 will probably be the one.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand the original questioning. You say economical and I assume you mean ammo wise. There is adifference in ammo for a .40 vs. .22LR - BIG difference.

So I will go the .22 route and the Rugers semi-auto offerings are nice but I am also a big fan of their wheel guns. The Browning semis are good too.

Now this is just me but I really like the Walther P22.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002& amp;categoryId=43804&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43326&top_category=43 326&training=
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The best bang for the buck is exactly what rugerM77 got. Unless you can find a used ruger mk2 target pistol, the 22/45 is the best possible economy accurate handgun you'll find-both purchase price AND cost of shooting. They're more accurate than you'll be able to shoot them. The only mod I would suggest is to have a trigger job or aftermarket trigger installed. I HIGHLY recommend you start out shooting a .22 to get the basics down such as trigger control & sight picture without sinking a LOAD of money into ammo costs. Then after you get to be an accomplished shooter, move up to a centerfire handgun.
I have a SS Target MKII with a 4X scope and I can tell you it will out shoot my capabilities and I can actually hold "one ragged hole groups at 50 yards on a good day. First time out squirrel hunting a got and seen 4 squirrels and 3 were bug eyes at 30+ yards. One awesome 22 pistol. I have an old original Ruger Bearcat that has taken moresmall game and birds than most hunters have ever seen, ButI can tell you it is jellious everytime when I reach for the MKII!

Quick Reply: Best bang for the buck ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.