Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Mossberg 500 20ga. Rifled Barrel...Which Slugs? >

Mossberg 500 20ga. Rifled Barrel...Which Slugs?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 500 20ga. Rifled Barrel...Which Slugs?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mossberg 500 20ga. Rifled Barrel...Which Slugs?

My friend just purchased this shotgun with the rifled/cantilever barrel, we know shotguns are iffy with slugs, just want to know from those that have this set up which slugs seem to work best for you? My other friend has this set up as well and he likes the 2-3/4" Lightfields
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

I have nearly the same setup and have been using Remington slugs. I guess it all depends on the pattern you can produce or just flat out personal preference.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the reasonable price for a 5 shot box of slugs. Buy a few boxes of different brands. Since the barrel is rifled, make sure that the ones you get are not already rifled.

Shoot until you find one that is doing a good job of delivering consistent groups. A side benefit of shooting this much is learning the gun, and becoming comfortable and proficient with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
At the reasonable price for a 5 shot box of slugs. Buy a few boxes of different brands. Since the barrel is rifled, make sure that the ones you get are not already rifled.

Shoot until you find one that is doing a good job of delivering consistent groups. A side benefit of shooting this much is learning the gun, and becoming comfortable and proficient with it.
I feel that you are referring to saboted slugs? You should not shoot ful bore rifled slugs out of a rifled bore for it will lead up the lands and any accuracy you may have just went out the barrel, literally!!!

I have this same set up in the Mossberg Trophy Slugster in both 12 and 20 and the 20 REALLY shines with Federal Premium Barnes Expanders in 3". The 12 really like them as well, but in 2-3/4".

As said before, they are not going to be cheap, but buy as many boxes as you can afford in the sabotted slugs, Federal, Remington and Winchester in 2-3/4" and 3" and go from there.I would try the Lighfields as well.
Are you using a red dot scope or a traditional cross hair scope for this adventure? It will reflect on your results. What type of yardage are you looking for your style of hunting? Sight in at 50yds and it will give you a hint of what you may expect at 100yds with out wasting so much ammo, for if they don't group at 50 worth a crap, rule out 100. Don't forget to use a solid rest for your testing as well. Good shooting!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default slugs

Which remington slugs do you use?

Originally Posted by PoorHunter99
I have nearly the same setup and have been using Remington slugs. I guess it all depends on the pattern you can produce or just flat out personal preference.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sighted my friends 20ga Mossberg with Accu-Tip 3", they flew great I will try them in mine, not to say mine will like them
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Todays rifled/cantilever barrels are far from iffy.They're very accurate with most slugs.My Mberg 835 shoot's all the slugs I've tried both sabot and Forester type very well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

my bros 20 guage mossy likes-the 2 3/4 federal barnes in 1 oz.. they work great but the winchester partion golds are wicked accurate at 100 yards. side by side holes.