Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Remington and Savage Accuracy >

Remington and Savage Accuracy

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington and Savage Accuracy

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Remington and Savage Accuracy

Hey guys, sorry But I have been gone. My bad on the " unmodified" word. What I ment to say was factory unmodified rifles.... but with aftermarket triggers if you must.
What happens is when you get to comparing rifles on these forumsthe posts tend to gravitate to "Oh yea... well I have a german built meatzeeblastin that shoots .01" at 700 yards and my friends friend has a holezeezblozin boltflaction that will do even better.[:-]
Just wanted to keep the thread leaning towards "factory" oem shootin' irons.
I am suprised that no one could read my mind to what I ment, after all my wife expects me to do that with the grocery list.lol
Thanks a bunch guys... This is a great forum!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Don't go to too much trouble... I mean pictures are way cool, but can be a pain to post sometimes.
I too have been a Remington fan for a great many years. I have a small gun shop and can honestly say that as far as customers are concerned, Remingtons(read the new Remingtons) fall way short in quality compaired to the Remingtons of yesterday. That being said, we sell 2 to one more Savages than any other brand o' rifle.
It is hard to beat a rifle that will consistantly shoot sub moa right out of the box, and without an accuracy guarantee! I love some of those accuracy guarantees... yep, our rifle will shoot sub moa. Then you read the fine print... with only the best ammo,cold barrel and it has to only do it once.... oops, there I go again.
Anyway, I like Savages...and they are made in the good ol' U.S.of A.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 AM

I know what you mean ... For years I too was all Green, that is to say, I was a firm Remington fan.
But after years in the biz, numerous shoots and just listening to the customer chatter I came to relize that big green aint all that.
I have been shooting Savages for a few years now and can say that I am totally pleased with their preformance, qualityand price point.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there is merit to both brands. I've found that both Rem 700's and Savage 1X/1XX series rifles can be very accurate. My new Rem 700 LSS Limited is amazingly accurate. So much so that I was very (pleasantly) surprised, since I expected much less from it. My Savage is also very accurate, and in its case it has all been with factory ammo. I've also seen excellent accuracy from Ruger M77's too (after a MANDATORY trigger job).

I think that Savages are a little more consistant in their accuracy potential than Remingtons, but Remingtons are still very fine rifles. I like my Savage 111, and I like my Rem 700 LSS Limited. It boils down to features. Savage has consistently good accuracy with the occasional remarkable specimen, Remington has consistantly adequate (hunting) accuracy, with a few really amazing specimens like my latest one.

I like Savage's three position safety with bolt lock, but I like the shape, position and ease of use of the Remington safety better (the Savage is a PITA to use with gloves on).

I like the jeweled bolt on my Remington (of course, not standard on all models), and really dislike the laser engraved "Savage" logo on the Savage bolt.

I like the general asthetics of the Remington a little better (like no barrel nut and the bolt shroud shape), but I like the ease of barrel changing that the barrel nut on my Savage provides.

M-700's all come with very good (Limbsaver/R3) to excellent (Supercell) recoil pads from the factor, Savages come with hard rubber "pads" that I feel really need to be upgraded on any rifle that kicks as hard as a .270 Win or greater.

Savage's have excellent factory triggers if you don't mind the Glock/XD style safety lever (I don't mind it, others very much do), Remington makes a good trigger (X-Mark Pro) that can be fairly easily adjusted to a great trigger, but lacks the older style ribbed trigger face so it feels too slippery for a hunting trigger.

If you ever desire to build a full custom rifle, or if you ever really wear the barrel out, the Remington is THE standard action upon 90%+ of truly phenomenal custom rifles are built, but the work needs to be done by a qualified gunsmith with the necessary tools to do it right. The Savage allows the "shade tree" gunsmith the opportunity to build a custom rifle himself without many special tools or machines and allows the flexibility of a "switch barrel" rifle, but it'll never make a truly great custom rifle platform (some would debate this, I'm sure).

Remingtons cost a little more than Savage for similar features, but Remington offers more higher-end featured guns than Savage (like fluted barrels, jeweled bolts and better overall stocks).

Overall, rifles from both are very good choices for factory mass produced rifles. I like both very well and would not hesitate to buy either brand if the factors were right.

Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Yup... It's hard to beat a Savage!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about this;

Put either one in a snipers hands and the other one in your hands.

Then switch and you shoot the one the sniper was shooting and let the sniper shoot the one you were shooting.

To make it interesting; shoot at 200, 400 and 600 yards.

Lastly, if this seems impractical; be honest with yourself (either gun is more accurate than you are).

Sorry if I offended anyone who is actually better than the sniper in this exercise.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have one very accurate Rem700 from the early 70's and several very accurate Savages. If the Remington wasn't my dad's that I am passing down to my son, I would probably have all Savages (except for that one A-Bolt that blows them both away)
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a bunch of different brand of rifles. They all shoot better than I do, even my Rossi!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own more Remingtons than Savages, but the Savage rifles do shoot better than my Remingtons. I just have a hard time looking at the final fit & finish of a Savage rifle. The Savage rifles shoot great but I wish they would take more pride in the way there final produce looks. They look cheap & I have had a few issues that gunsmiths have had to fix on my savages. I have not had any issues witha Remington.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

My ADL 700 shot 1/2 its first 4 shots after sight in. Seems pretty good for a hunting rifle.

Quick Reply: Remington and Savage Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.