Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Spray painting a gun

Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spray painting a gun

I have a .22 that unfortunatly got a little rusty. Now this .22 is used pretty only for coon hunting its a savage that I bought brand new last year for $115. I took some Flitz and fine steel wool and got all the rust off but because i dont need it show off I was wondering if I could spray paint it black and it would stick and hold on. Or do I have to spend the money and get that blue in the blueing kit for guns like I should. But has anyone tried just spray painting it and it lasting a couple years? Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spray painting a gun

you can certainly krylon spray paint a gun . it may not last that long but it should give you some rust protection and its cheap enough you could always touch up the bad areas down the road. you can also get a duracoat spray kit which is some tough stuff made for firearms. check out this forum. http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=19
Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

you could try spray paint made for car headers, brake calipers, or bbq grills. since they hold up to the heat. if you shoot the quick enough to get the barrel to heat up it could "burn" regular spray paint off.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I use the cheepest spray paint I can find on my Duck gun, it lasts for years!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have done a couple with good results.

I found the Krylon with Fusion works great on the synthetic stocks and I have not had any issues with it on metal either.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

AC, the 2nd and 3rd from the bottom look really cool. Did you use some kind of pattern on the 3rd one from bottom? 2nd from bottom almost looks like granite.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I used some weeds from behind the house as a stencil. I started with a base of tan and held the weeds up and sprayed with olive drab. I did my E-Caller in the same fashion.

The stone look came out of the can as you see it. I don't remember the name of the stuff, but found it at Home Depot. It did not hold up as well as I would have liked but looked cool for a few months of hard use in the field.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I just might try that. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a buddy painted his gun and barrel this year. Said he used high temp paint for a grill on the barrel.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I hope my barrel never gets that hot.

If you can afford it Duracoat or similar is about the best you can get. It is a two part epoxy that is extremely tough stuff.

Quick Reply: Spray painting a gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.