Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Which Weatherby Mark V is better? >

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Porche/Audi and VW are separate companies,but they do share interchangeable parts and manufacturing processes between all three brands.Parts for one brand may actually be made in one of the other companies factories.According to Kreiger.Criterion is a separate company,and uses an entirely different manufacturing process,even though they may be made in the same facility.
I'm sure those car companies share some things but they were still seperate companies before being bought by one another. Not so with Krieger/Criterion as I pointed out already. Krieger started the Criterion line and is still the sole owner.

Check out the Weatherby website.The name Kreiger used to be used often on the old website,but that is no longer the case.
And they no longer use the name Bell & Carlson for their stock either. I guess with your reasoning I must not have a Bell & Carlson stock on my gun.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/accumark
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

And they no longer use the name Bell & Carlson for their stock either. I guess with your reasoning I must not have a Bell & Carlson stock on my gun.
I am not suggesting that Weatherby no longer uses the Criterion barrels,I am just pointing out that they no longer refer to them as Kreiger Criterion barrels. Bell & Carlson may impress you,but it doesn't impress most other shooters,especially since Weatherby formerly used stocks by Mcmillan,and H-S Precision.That could explain why they don't brag about Bell&Carlson stocks.

The simple fact is that many people by a vanguard for no other reason than to be able to tell their buddies that they own a Weatherby,yet for some reason, they often don't mention that it's a Vanguard.Other people like to tell people that they have a Kreiger barrel,even though the Kreiger website doesn't consider it a Kreiger barrel.Other people tell everyone that their Camaro has a Corvette engine,even though several key engine components are not the same as those used in a Corvette.As for myself,I prefer to tell it like it is,and not try and impress people by misleading them,even if what is being used to mislead them has some basis in truth.I guess that is why I judge the Mark V and Vanguard on my actual experiences with both rifles,not on which rifle holds more status with some people.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

The simple fact is that many people by a vanguard for no other reason than to be able to tell their buddies that they own a Weatherby,yet for some reason, they often don't mention that it's a Vanguard.Other people like to tell people that they have a Kreiger barrel,even though the Kreiger website doesn't consider it a Kreiger barrel.
Maybe, I don't know as I can't speak for someone else. Futhremore I don't care why some one buys a particular gun and anything esle for that matter. I'm sure Krieger wants to create some separation since they built their reputation on customcut rifled barrels. The fact remains that Krieger owns and has always owned the Criterion barrel line. It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to have more than one line of products.

I prefer to tell it like it is,and not try and impress people by misleading them,even if what is being used to mislead them has some basis in truth.I guess that is why I judge the Mark V and Vanguard on my actual experiences with both rifles,not on which rifle holds more status with some people.
Misleading someone would have said that the Mark V barrels were custom cut Krieger barrels and I don't recall anyone stating that. I judge every gun by first hand experince and I could care less what anyone thinks of what I shoot. What works for me is the only thing that counts and may not be the right choice for the next guy. I'm always intrested in what everyone else shoots but, it has no bearing on what I choose.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to have more than one line of products.
It's very common.Zeiss has the lower priced Conquest line,but they still call them Zeiss Conquests.Leupold has the Riflemen line,but they sell them as the Leupold Rifleman.Swarovski has the AV line,and they sell them as the Swarovski AV.
On the other hand,Kreiger started an entirely separate company,and Kreiger refers to the barrels made by this company as Criterion barrels on their site.They don't refer to them as Kreiger barrels,or Kreiger Criterion barrels.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

It's very common.Zeiss has the lower priced Conquest line,but they still call them Zeiss Conquests.Leupold has the Riflemen line,but they sell them as the Leupold Rifleman.Swarovski has the AV line,and they sell them as the Swarovski AV.

Well, another similar example would be the Fusion brand ammo won’t be found on the Federal ammo web site as it has it’s own. This brand is produced in the same ATK/Federal plant and if you call the number on the Fusion web site it goes to right to ATK/Federal. If I were shooting the Fusion ammo and someone asked what I was shooting. I would more than likely tell them its Federal. That’s the name I associate it with even though it would be more accurate to say Fusion "made by ATK/Federal".

On the other hand,Kreiger started an entirely separate company,and Kreiger refers to the barrels made by this company as Criterion barrels on their site.They don't refer to them as Kreiger barrels,or Kreiger Criterion barrels.

We know the Mark V does not use a custom Krieger barrel with cut rifling but, rather the button rifled barrel that’s been given the Criterion brand to create some seperation, we know you don’t know how to spell Krieger, we know that Criterion was started by and is owned and operated by Krieger (maybe still in the same plant and by some of the same people), and we also know the horse has been long gone for a while on this one. If you feel you must, whip away though.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I just looked at my Mark V and it says made in USA, Stainless/synthetic 300 wthby. Great shooter. Listen to these guys about Muzzle brakes I had one and sold it, shot an elk an couldn't hear for 3 days. It does kick but I just use it for hunting.
I have a Vanguard SMOA in 270wsm, that my friends is a real shooter.
RC