Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Which Weatherby Mark V is better? >

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

It does not have an actual Kreiger barrel,it has a barrel made by Criterion,which is a company owned by Kreiger.Weatherby used the Kreiger name in it's advertising in the hope that people would assume that their rifles used actual Kreiger barrels.
Correct in that they are not the same as the custom barrels that Krieger is well know for. Weatherby advertises their barrels correctly as a Krieger Criterion button rifled. The Criterion barrel is still a Krieger barrel. A comparison would be saying that you have a Chevy but not a GM.

One of my brother in laws has a Krieger custom barrel on a gun he had made for him. I don’t think the Criterion barrels are made in the same plant any longer. I spoke to a tech at Krieger a few months ago when I was injuring about a barrel for my new Sako 75 and I thought he said they were in a different building. Never the less, the Mark V barrels benefit from Krieger’s barrel manufacturing expertise even though their rifling processes are different.

The name of the Mark V action manufacturer slips me now but, I think I have it written down somewhere.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Criterion or not, I'm still guessing that it's a darn fine barrel. Just because it's button rifled doesn't mean it's crap. If I'm not mistaken, Shilen, Hart and Lilja all button rifle their barrels, and I don't think anyone can make a rational case that they aren't top notch barrels. I seriously doubt that Krieger would put their name on them if they were sub-standard in any way.

Mike

Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seriously doubt that Krieger would put their name on them if they were sub-standard in any way.
How many Weatherby rifles have you seen that have Kreiger stamped on the barrel?.Kreiger is very concerned about having people confuse Criterion barrels with Kreiger barrels,hence the information posted on the Kreiger web site.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/FAQ-c1246-wp3352.htm

Be assured that when you order a Krieger Barrel, you are getting a single-point cut-rifled Krieger Barrel.
If Kreiger thinks that only single-point cut-rifled barrels are Kreiger barrels,Then I will take their word for it.

A comparison would be saying that you have a Chevy but not a GM.
Like calling a Jetta a Porsche,just because Porsche owns majority shares in VW.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 AM
bigcountry

Guys, I have had Kriegers(the real deals) and I can't say they have been as good as Dan Lilja's I have had. I loved the selling point of single point cut over button rifled, but they copper fouled fairly quick.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Criterion or not, I'm still guessing that it's a darn fine barrel. Just because its button rifled doesn't mean it's crap. If I'm not mistaken, Shilen, Hart and Lilja all button rifle their barrels, and I don't think anyone can make a rational case that they aren't top notch barrels. I seriously doubt that Krieger would put their name on them if they were sub-standard in any way.

Yes, most aftermarket custom barrels are button rifled. There are only a handful that have cut rifling barrels.

Kreiger puts the Criterion name on the barrels supplied to Weatherby.Kreiger is very concerned about having people confuse Criterion barrels with Kreiger barrels,hence the information posted on the Kreiger web site.

Neither of my Mark V barrels had any name on them. My Accumark barrel only has .300 wby mag only. Yes, Krieger gave their button barrel a name to help define their products. Krieger isstillthe manufacturer/owner of the Criterion barrel line.

Like calling a neon a Benz because it was built when Daimler Benz owned Chrysler.

Not really since they were just one company buying another. Krieger made all of their barrels in the same plant at on time even though they used different methods for the rifling. I don’t think Neon’s and Benz’s were made in the same plant and sharedany resources.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

The Mark V's action, trigger, and floor plate are all made by Atech out of Minnesota.

The out sourcing list for theAccumark would be the following.

Action,trigger, and floor plate: Atech

Barrel: Krieger/Criterion

Stock: Bell & Carlson

Recoil pad: Pachmayr

Not sure who makes the injection-molded or wood stocks.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just curious as to why you used the word Kreiger,instead of Criterion when you made the statement below.

My factory Accumark (.300 wby) comes with a heavy contour stainless fluted Krieger barrel,
Could it be because you thought that Kreiger might impress more people than Criterion?

And why do you suppose that Weatherby no longer constantly mentions Kreiger in it's advertising for the Mark V rifles,like they did in the past?Could it be because Kreiger did not want people to assume that the factory rifles had real Kreiger barrels?The quote from the Kreiger website appears to support that theory.
[align=left] Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling? [/align] [align=left] A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public. Recently there have been some magazine articles written regarding this company which has caused some confusion. Be assured that when you order a Krieger Barrel, you are getting a single-point cut-rifled Krieger Barrel. [/align]
If Kreiger only considers single-point cut-rifles barrels to be Kreiger barrels,I am certainly going to take their word for it.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Like calling a Jetta a Porche,just because Porche owns majority shares in VW.
Not the same as both were already separate and established companies. Krieger formed the brand Criterion from the begining.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Could it be because you thought that Kreiger might impress more people than Criterion?
Did I say it was a custom Krieger barrel with cut rifling? I was just listing out some of the names of the parts manufacturers.

And why do you suppose that Weatherby no longer constantly mentions Kreiger in it's advertising for the Mark V rifles,like they did in the past?Could it be because Kreiger did not want people to assume that the factory rifles had real Kreiger barrels?The quote from the Kreiger website appears to support that theory.
I Don't have a new Weathreby catalog but my 2006 has it in there. They don't list all of their vendors either just some of them.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not the same as both were already separate and established companies. Krieger formed the brand Criterion from the begining.
Porche/Audi and VW are separate companies,but they do share interchangeable parts and manufacturing processes between all three brands.Parts for one brand may actually be made in one of the other companies factories.According to Kreiger.Criterion is a separate company,and uses an entirely different manufacturing process,even though they may be made in the same facility.

I Don't have a new Weathreby catalog but my 2006 has it in there. They don't list all of their vendors either just some of them.
Check out the Weatherby website.The name Kreiger used to be used often on the old website,but that is no longer the case.

Quick Reply: Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.