Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Which Weatherby Mark V is better? >

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

I am looking into buying a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherly Magnum. I know it will have a heavy recoil. I plan on getting some type of muxxle break put on it if I buy it. Thebarrel saysit was made in West Germany but the receiver says Southgate California.My question is their a time frame or a places where the Mark V was made that are better than others? Is it possible that the barrel was replaced? Any information about this gun would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

I'm not a huge Weatherby fan, but there are many who are. The Mark V are pricey... most people I know go for the Vanguard (Howa) line. Perhaps you can do a serial number check? I'm pretty sure the Weatherby's are not made here. Likely Japan imports (my guess only). Mussel brake... LOL try muzzle brake. Not a fan of them... they will kill your (and by-standers) hearing. Mandatory ear protection (even in the field) would be required. Hopefully, some of our more knowledgeble Weatherby folks on here will chime in.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

The Vanguard Model is the cheap model and I herd they are a junk gun. The Mark V is much better. I am not new to muzzle break systems. I have had guns in the past with them. I can not handle the recoil of a 300 mag without one. I live close to Mag-Na-Port and Williams gun and sight company that can put one on for around $200.00. I am not afraid to spend money on guns. So the price don't bather me. I am going to sell my like new Sauer Model 200 in .308 to pay for it.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, the Vanguard (Howa) is not a junk gun. They are reliable, accurate and moderately priced. If you want the Mark V go for it. BTW, I've always been of the opinion that if the recoil is too severe: a) get something that has less b). ensure proper fit and stock design (change as required) c). Put a good recoil pad on it (or other recoil decreasing devices such as Knox stocks, mercury reducers, etc) d). practice proper shooting technique. I'd do all these before I used a muzzle brake. Just my $.02. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's the barrel is marked "West Germany" that would mean that it's several years old (1990 or before, since Germany reunified in 1990 and "West" Germany ceased to exist), and probably a used rifle. If so, I'd say if the price is good, go for it. Weatherby Mk V's are good rifles. As for your choice of .300 Wby, well, if you can't take the recoil, you can certainly have a brake installed. Just make SURE you ALWAYS use hearing protection, even while hunting. A braked rifle, especially one that burns as much powder as the Wby, will be EXTREMELY LOUD. Loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage with one unprotected shot. I've lost some of my hearing already, likely because of gunfire without hearing protection, and I'm only 33 years old. As a result I have a hard time understanding speech in a moderately noisy room, especially higher (female) voices.

The Southgate, CA stamp is on there because that's where Weatherby is headquartered, but the guns have historically always been made by a contractor. Weatherby's have been made in Germany, Japan and now by an American contractor. They were make by SAKO Defense (not the same as Sako Finland) on the east coast, but when they got bought out the Weatherby Mk V is made by another American contractor now.

As for the Vanguard, I don't know who told you they were junk rifles, but whoever it was, don't listen to them about guns again, ever. The Vanguard, which is made by Howa of Japan, are one of the best values for the price out there these days. Very well made and usually extremely accurate. You wouldn't go wrong with a Howa, and if you want a Weatherby cartridge without it beating the snot out of you, get one in 257 Wby.

Mike

Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Vanguard Model is the cheap model and I herd they are a junk gun. The Mark V is much better.
I have owned both,and I prefer the vanguard.Weatherby does not manufacture their own rifles,contractors built the Weatherby rifles.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Vanguard Model is the cheap model and I herd they are a junk gun. The Mark V is much better.
I agree with Stubblejumper and driftrider, you definetly heard wrong concerning the vanguard.

I would rather have one Vanguard thenthree Mark V's.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with the Vanguard as it’s made well and they are fairly accurate. They have adjustable triggers to boot. The Sub-MOA models are hand picked from the factory that shoot to that designation. They also have a better stock than the plain injected molded ones.

The Mark V has better quality yet and a shorter bolt throw. My factory Accumark (.300 wby) comes with a heavy contour stainless fluted Krieger barrel, Bell & Carlson hand laminated stock with bedding plate, and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. It too has an adjustable trigger and tight tolerances in the action. My first Mark V was a deluxe model also in .300 wby. Both produce less than 1-inch groups at 100 yards.

The German models tend to bring a little more money on the used market. This is due to that they are no longer made there but, not any better.

For large game, there is no better combination for me than the Mark V in .300 wby mag. Both the Weatherby Mark V and .300 wby cartridge have a track record on game world wide equaled by few others.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

My factory Accumark (.300 wby) comes with a heavy contour stainless fluted Krieger barrel,
It does not have an actual Kreiger barrel,it has a barrel made by Criterion,which is a company owned by Kreiger.Weatherby used the Kreiger name in it's advertising in the hope that people would assume that their rifles used actual Kreiger barrels.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/krieger_criterion_tour.htm
Krieger barrels and Criterion barrels share floor space and personnel, but the clear difference between the two processes is cut rifling versus button rifling. Krieger barrels use steel (raw blanks) that has been cryogenically treated and then re heat-treated, whereas Criterion barrel material is not cryogenically treated.
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/FAQ-c1246-wp3352.htm

[align=left] Q: Why is there some confusion that we might do button rifling? [/align] [align=left] A: In 1999, we started another barrel company Criterion Barrels that manufactures button rifled barrels for the O.E.M. market. These barrels are not directly for sale to the general public. Recently there have been some magazine articles written regarding this company which has caused some confusion. Be assured that when you order a Krieger Barrel, you are getting a single-point cut-rifled Krieger Barrel. [/align]
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Northernforest

The Vanguard Model is the cheap model and I herd they are a junk gun.
Its not cheap is inexpensive. I have one and its tough as nail and shoot one hole at 100 yards. The actions are strong and reliable, I recently made a mistake reloading and shot a load in my 300 wbythat was way over pressure it blow the primer out (never found it), left brass shards all over the place, and I had Hornady imprinted into the bolt face. Once I stopped shaking I loaded a different load into the rifle and shot eight rounds back to back, the first five of which went 3/4'' and four of those were in the same hole. Inexpensive not cheap there is a difference.

Quick Reply: Which Weatherby Mark V is better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.