HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Mossberg 817 .17 HMR (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/284387-mossberg-817-17-hmr.html)

Sentiax 01-27-2009 10:40 AM

Mossberg 817 .17 HMR

I decided to write a review about an HMR I just bought too. Dick's had this one on sale for 130 down from 180 I believe, and I couldn't pass it up. It is a bolt action, and comes with a 5 round magazine. I purchases a Simmons 3-9x scope from Dick's as well and had it placed on here. Over all the gun was a great deal, but I did have a few problems with it.

One thing that I don't like about the gun is that it's EXTREMELY particular about ammo, to the point of where I actually had to adjust the scope when switching types or brands of ammo. I've only tried a few, those being Horandy V-Max .17 grain polymer tipped, Federal Premium Polymer Tip, Winchester Hollowpoint, and Winchester polymer tip. Before I get started on the accuracy problems, I also want to state that the gun has a hard time chambering Hollowpoints. It works with the polymer tips fine, but when trying to load the hollow points, the bolt wouldn't push them forward. I had to actually push the magazine up before it would chamber the rounds. Anyway, moving on. I sighted the scope with the Horandy V-Max, and they worked AMAZINGLY well. They were extremely consistent and accurate at 100 yds. I was getting 1/2" groups or less at 100yds. After the Horandy's I shot the Hollowpoints, and they were all over the place. I couldn't seem to get very consistent groups. The next day I shot the Federal's and they shot basically as well as the horandy round, but the Winchester's again were very difficult. I dont' know whether this was because it was a bit windy, or just bad ammunition, but even in the wind I had much better luck with the Federal and Horandy Rounds. I wish I could have shot it more, but ammunition is a bit more expensive than I would like to be shooting it all the time. Overall it's a great gun, very sturdy yet light, and extremely accurate when using the appropriate ammo. I would buy it again and would reccomend it to someone else.

RugerM77.270 01-28-2009 07:15 AM

RE: Mossberg 817 .17 HMR

You have to remember every gun is different and every gun likes its own choice of ammo. What you have encountered is very common with most guns.

Sentiax 01-28-2009 11:23 AM

Yeah, I know most guns tend to favor different types of ammo, and I've shot quite a few, but this is the first one I've shot that had such a huge difference and variation between ammo.

rshunter32 02-18-2009 03:49 PM

I shoot a Marlin 917V and I find it likes the Winchester 20 gr. ammo and Hornady v-max 17 gr. I have tried them all but I am sticking with the Winchester because of accuracy and a bit more weight behind the shot.