HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Savage Classic 14/114 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/281046-savage-classic-14-114-a.html)

NH306 01-02-2009 07:18 PM

Savage Classic 14/114

Hey was comparing the Savage to the Ruger M77 MarkII any thoughts on the Savage? I never hear anything about them. I am purchasing 30-06 Thanks in advance

Scott Gags 01-02-2009 08:38 PM

RE: Savage Classic 14/114

I am biased toward Savage in generalbut I really like the look of the Classic. They havereplaced the barrel nut with a smooth finished version that looks much better now IMHO. Savages seem to shoot very accuratly and both are very reliable.

Savage has been listening to its customers and is actually addressing many of the complaints. For instance many shooters disliked the trigger and they developed the accutrigger. The look of the barrel nut is oftenbashed and Savage starting in 09 is offering a smooth version that looks like part of the action. The main complaint with Savage is the flimsy Tupperware feel of their synthetic stocks. For 09 they are releasing the Accustock which has a full length bedding spine moulded into the stock and it seems like a major improvementthat allegedly will make it the stiffest factory stock available.

Hurricanespg 01-03-2009 08:30 AM

I think scott gags pretty much covered everything there so I will just add that Savage's accuracy has always impressed me, and I really like the looks of theClassic also.

bronko22000 01-09-2009 11:20 AM

As much as I like the Savage rifles I also like the 'feel' of the Rugers. The only thing I don't like on the Rugers is the 3 position safety. I much preferred the older tang safety like on the Savage. Also, the triggers on the Rugers were really tough. But they changed to a new design which from what I've heard is a vast improvement. The Savage's Accutrigger is great. But it takes some getting used to (picking up the slack).
All in all, both are good rifles. So IMO, you can't go wrong with either. Pick the one that feels best to you.

stalkingbear 01-09-2009 01:02 PM

The Savage classic is fine looking and accurate too but I lean more toward the Mauser design of the Ruger between the 2.

kilotanker19 02-05-2009 08:38 PM

i just bought one of the savages. great gun!

Folically Challenged 02-06-2009 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: NH306

Hey was comparing the Savage to the Ruger M77 MarkII any thoughts on the Savage? I never hear anything about them. I am purchasing 30-06 Thanks in advance
I think either one will shoot as well, & last as long, as the other. Shoulder them both, & see which one separates itself as the "winner".

FC

thndrchiken 02-06-2009 05:18 AM

The Savage is definitely a nice gun, all that I have seen have had some really nice wood, fit and finish is definitely up there. The price tag has also gone up with the higher quality standard. Like Stalkingbear stated, my taste also goes to the tried and true mauser action. Personally I would lean toward the Ruger, with the new lc6 trigger.

RugerM77.270 02-06-2009 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

As much as I like the Savage rifles I also like the 'feel' of the Rugers. The only thing I don't like on the Rugers is the 3 position safety. I much preferred the older tang safety like on the Savage. Also, the triggers on the Rugers were really tough. But they changed to a new design which from what I've heard is a vast improvement. The Savage's Accutrigger is great. But it takes some getting used to (picking up the slack).
All in all, both are good rifles. So IMO, you can't go wrong with either. Pick the one that feels best to you.
X2 I have tried the new Ruger trigger and it is a vast improvement to my old Mark II trigger before I had it tuned. YOu should shoulder a few and see whick one feels better. Savage does have a reputation for out of the box accuracy but the Ruger ain't bad either just last weekend I shot a 1/2'' group out of my Ruger 270.

wjyarkiell 02-06-2009 11:49 AM

As long as you do your job, both guns will do their job. I have one of each and i prefer the Ruger, but i also love the accutrigger. For me its a tossup, really. See which gun feels the best in your hands.