Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rifle Advice?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Advice?

If he's only going to use it on deer-he don't need something as big as .308 diameter bullets. And YES,with proper controlled expansion bullets, the .308 is plenty for elk within reasonable range for it, but so is the 7mm08.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Well I'm torn between a .30-06 and a .270 of the Rem or a .308 Kimber...I've been given advg.s and disavgs of both but not sure what to do
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

All are fine guns but since you mentioned Winchester I have to say I've always really liked the Featherweight version.I'd go with either 7-08 or .270.Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: homers brother

I'd want to pick up all of them just for comparison first, but of those you list, I'd probably opt toward the Kimber or the Remington.

If deer are your primary quarry, you'll be fine with the .308. You could even hunt elk or moose with it some day,(though some will likely respond back now that I'm insane for recommending anything less than a .338 Magnum ).
I took my 308 elk hunting this year...165 gr sierra game kings loaded over 42.5 gr of imr4064...deadly accurate and the recoil was almost non existant..the more i shoot 308 the more i like it..but im not giving up my 06 or my 300wsm either..lol..never know when a kodiak might decide to migrate to kentucky and try to eat me...
Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Spike

the kimber is in all acuality, brand loyalty aside, a finer rifle...the remington 700 on the other hand is probably the most popular rifle in America today, therefore it will be much easier to dress it up if you decide to do it later....a rem 700 in 308 can wear many different hats..deer, elk, antelope, goats, hogs, and properly outfitted it makes a great varmint gun...and there is even proven load data out there for both reduced recoil ammo as well as subsonic loads..very handy for neighborhood pests...most importantly, any of the rifles and calibers you mentioned will be fine for just about any purpose..get the one you like the best..they are all great guns
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd definitely go .30-06. You can use it for anything in North America. A .270 will leave you under-gunned with certain animals. Better to have more of a multi-purpose gun than have to buy another one later.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:13 PM

i've read the following in numerous gun rags for the last15 years:

1. the best selling rifle (for the last 30 years) in the u.s. is the remington 700.

2. the top selling scope (magnification) in the u.s for at least the last 15 years is the 3x9x40

3. the most popular cartridge in the u.s is the 30-06. the cartridge by which all others are judged.

so, get a rem 700, in 30-06, and add a decent 3x9x40 scope and you are set for anything you are likely to hunt the rest of your days.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big fan of the 308 Win., but if it were "one rifle", I'd say 30.06 Spr. To echo others' opinions, the 30.06 Spr. is a proven cartridge. With a little hand loading work, this cartridge is capable of handling anything from 110 grain to 220 gr. bullets. Probably the 180 gr. is the optimum. If you do not hand load or care not to go that route, there are many, many great choices in quality factory ammo. And if any cartridge will pass the "Two Dot" test, it would be the 30.06 Spr.

As for rifle, your list is all good. Fit and feel are very important. If it fits, buy it. I know of no marked difference in quality. If I were choosing, it would be the Winchester 70. These are now being made by a high quality manufacturer for sure. Plus the controlled feed would be nice if I were in a panic trying to drop something that was trying to "drop" me !!!

In my opinion, good glass is worth every dollar you are able to spend. I have seen so many guys with great shooting rifles, and then go "Blue Light Special" on the scope. In glass, there are some real bargains, but in general the "top end", high dollar scopes are worth every penny. Realistically, not everybody can drop $1000 - $1800 on a scope. Fortunately, there are plenty of great scopes in the $350 - $600 range. My suggestion would be the Zeiss Conquest, No. 4 reticule, 3-9x50 mm.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Spike

Two years ago I purchased a Tikka and put a Leupold 2-9 40mm scope on it. This set up works great for me. The one thing that I really like about the Tikka is that it is very light, however if you are sensitive to recoil you probably don't want to get a light gun. As it was out of the box the Tikka shot around .75 in. groups at 100 yds. and the trigger was very good for a factory trigger. Overall I have been very impressed with Tikka.What ever you choose I hope you are happy with it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM

My.02, a Browning xbolt in synthetic and stainless (stainless stalker), in 30-06. Will last forever, most any gun will though, very wide range of ammo, not expensive. Have shot Brownings for 40 years and never had a problem. The Zeiss Conquest is a nice scope for the money. What ever you choose, don't skip on the optics. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rifle Advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.