Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby? >

Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby?

Well I've narrowed my list down to the Mossberg 100 ATR, the Weatherby Vanguard synthetic,or the Stevens 200. I have to say that Im leaning towards the Stevens. The reviews I've readmake it seem like the best of the three. Anybody own one of the three, or shot them?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby?

After seeing how the mossberg ATR pressed together bolt came apart,I would not buy one.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you checked out the marlin xl7? They're another low cost option,come pillar bedded,with their version of savage accutrigger,and come supplied with weaver style bases. I got 1 in for a buddy's gift and I was impressed with how good it shoots out of box for such an inexpensive rifle. Any of the rifles you listed should give you decent results.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Spike

i have the atr 100 in a 270 and love it. had it for 2 years now with no problems at all.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for sharing that with us stubblejumper-I hadn't yet encountered 1 but that sure makes a person think.

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

After seeing how the mossberg ATR pressed together bolt came apart,I would not buy one.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Vanguard is going to be my next gun. Its the only one with an accuracy promise and I haven't hear many complaints about it except for the trigger but that is user adjustable.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I have a stevens 30-06 and love it. After a good cleaning I fired four shots to sight it in. On opening day of our rifle season I fired it the fifth time and took a buck at about 70 yards.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have a low opinion of the Mossberg. The Stevens and Vanguard are better rifles in my opinion. I own a Vanguard in 25-06 & My Dad has one in 257 Weatherby Mag. Our only modifications were to install Timney triggers in both rifles. They shoot great mine with reloads & Dad's with 120 gr NPT in factory ammo. The Stevens is a good rifle. It is a Savage without the AccuTrigger. If you go this route look to see how well the stock fits the rifle. I have seen many of these with the barrel crowded hard to one side of the barrel channel. Uneven pressure on the barrel can cause accuracy to be inconsistent.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Spike

I love my 100ATR, but I bought the wood stock .308, if I was looking for a synthetic stock I may have went with a Stevens or the Weatherby. Of Course the weatherby is about $100 more right? My personal experience with my Mossberg is that it's been great, shoots great and looks great all for $315.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

You might want to look at the Remington 700 SPS also, about the same price and they have a factory rebate on them right now.

Quick Reply: Stevens/Mossberg/Weatherby?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.