Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 7MM-08 VS 7MM REMINGTON MAG >

7MM-08 VS 7MM REMINGTON MAG

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7MM-08 VS 7MM REMINGTON MAG

Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gil7247
Ive had several magnums over the years and a couple years back I was looking for something just for deer and Antelope. On some good advice I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in 7-08. I couldn't be happier I have a couple other Vanguards so I knew it would be accutateand it was. I have shot 3 Whitetails 1 Large 5x4 Mulie and a nice Antelope. Nothing went more then a couple steps and 1 deer and the antelope fell right in the tracks he was standing in. I use the 140 Nosler ballistic tips in federal premium. An added bonus is the recoil is minimal. After shooting about everything out there, I'm over proving how macho I am. Don't get me wrong the 7-08 would be too light for Elk sized game, but if you already have that covered. Treat yourself to the 7-08 you won't be disappointed. Just my 2cents Gil
I know this is an old post but that aint an old comment and it is one I would like to address so hush up Mercy

7mm-08 too light for Elk sized game? What makes you think that horse pucky? May want to tell that to the several Elk over the years I have dropped quite easily with mine! I'd bet you are one of those folks that think the .30-30 is too light for Elk and larger game as well? News flash, a rifle doesn't have to have "magnum" in it's cartridge listing to be capable of taking Elk and larger. I've taken everything from Whitetail, Black Bear, Caribou, Hogs (from 40 pound to 400 pound), and Elk with my 7mm-08's and everything from Whitetail up to Moose with several various .30-30's over the many long years of hunting.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Pa. hunter too. I would get the 7mm-08 for deer and bear. the 7mm mag is not the best woods or brush gun. plus the 7mm-08 wont beat the stuffing out of you.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

My son has a 7mm-08. Currently he (13y.0) shoots Hornady Custom Lite loads (120 gr). I'm really impressed with the caliber and in particular these loads. Recoil is about the same as a .25-06/.257 Roberts. Accuracy has been excellent and he is 2 for 2 on whitetail buck and a doe both one-shot-and-drop, not far shots (138 and 77 yards) but I've seen much bigger guns not put them down, so the accuracy part is key.

My younger son will be hunting next year. Of all the great calibers out there, I won't hesitate to get another 7mm-08. If my .270 ever wears out, I might purchase a third one for myself.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going to add another post to this 7mm.08 thread, my son (13) just killed his third deer in 3 years with it. Unlike the other two times, this deer did take more than one step and dropped, he managed to go about 60 yards.

The shot was quartering away at almost exactly 200 yards. Hornady Custom Lite with the 120gr bullet did their job again. The shot entered by the third rib, went through both lungs and out the other shoulder. We found the casing with the petals flowered out just inside the hide on the opposite (right) side shoulder, the lead continued through the hide making a 50 cent piece hole.

Great caliber, and again, I'm super impressed with the Hornady Custom Lites as a low recoil option for anyone who needs or prefers low recoil.
Attached Thumbnails  7MM-08 VS 7MM REMINGTON MAG-img_20161126_124923595.jpg  
Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
I'm a Pa. hunter too. I would get the 7mm-08 for deer and bear. the 7mm mag is not the best woods or brush gun. plus the 7mm-08 wont beat the stuffing out of you.
IDK, my 7 mag doesn't kick any harder then a 12g shot gun (2 3/4).
Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WYtRansplant93
IDK, my 7 mag doesn't kick any harder then a 12g shot gun (2 3/4).

God forbit someone would shoot a 3" slug out of a 12 gauge shotgun; they might end up needing shoulder surgery !?!?

This gun shooting stuff is rough - LOL
Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
God forbit someone would shoot a 3" slug out of a 12 gauge shotgun; they might end up needing shoulder surgery !?!?

That's why I downsized to a .243
Deer still die, it's amazing.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

LOL...get your shoulder broken a few times and dislocated several times and you might just change that tune. I own several shoulder busters that have made grown men sit down and cry. Recoil can be nasty from several magnum cartridges depending on the weight of the rifle and stock design. Take my .300WM barrel on my TC... If it weren't for the limbsaver tech in that sucker, I surely wouldn't want to shoot it because the platform is light. And it STILL isn't a enjoyable rifle to sit at the bench with. The problem with heavy recoil magnums, in my opinion anyway, is that very few people will sit at the bench and practice anywhere NEAR as much as they SHOULD. If they do, they tend to develop a flinch.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Spike

I've never owned either but I thought I'd add a couple of observations: people that own a 7mm-08 seem to love them and look for excuses to shoot them. Observation 2: 7mag is one of the most common rifles I seem to see on the "pre-owned" gun racks in western Montana. Which might be telling.

7-08 is probably on the lighter end for elk, but if you shoot it accurately and are familiar with what it will do, you could haul down an elk with it. A 7mm bullet isn't exactly small, it just doesn't have a great deal of down range energy in the -08. It's more a stilleto than a Bowie knife, but a stilleto will certainly kill stuff, just ask the mafia. 😀
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you with absolute assurance Sage, the 7mm.08 is just fine for an Elk cartridge. Been a few Elk find their way to my freezer by way of the 7mm.08. Now granted I wouldn't want to push the range past 250 yards. Maybe 300 on a perfect broadside rib presentation. But in my many many many years of huntin critters, there have only been a VERY FEW shots taken by me that were over 300. I'd say my average is well under 200 yards on Elk. Whitetail probably 90% of my shots are under 150.

Quick Reply: 7MM-08 VS 7MM REMINGTON MAG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.