HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Help a lefty (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/277771-help-lefty.html)

raptor5618 12-10-2008 07:44 AM

Help a lefty

I have the bug for a new gun and being left handed my choices are limited. At this point I am thinking that Tikka has the best left handed gun when considering price and accuracy as well as dependability. I was looking at their stainless model and was wondering what are the differences between the laminated stock and the graphite stock.

Also, are their other left handed choices that I may have missed. I want a stainless barrel and a stock that is durable.

ButchA 12-10-2008 08:16 AM

RE: Help a lefty

I'm a lefty and all my rifles/shotguns are righty. I just learned to compensate and adjust. I don't see the need in spending the extra $$$ for a lefty rifle, but that's just me. I did hear this though from some guys in the gun store: "Lefty? Sure, go ahead, buy one. When it comes time to try and sell it... Good luck."

The only thing I own that is true lefty is my compound bow (that has to be lefty - no way around it!). With a semi auto, like a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin model 60 .22, I learned over the years to hold my right forearm down a little more so it wouldn't get biffed by an ejecting shell.

Think of it this way... Jimi Hendrix played a mean guitar, flipped upside down, restrung, and played lefty! [8D] The same could be said for a lefty shooter shooting a righty rifle.

Edit: But if you really want a true lefty rifle, look at Savage. They make some great lefty rifles. Wickedly accurate too...

LeftyBuckmaster 12-10-2008 10:08 AM

If you are looking for a cheaper rifle in left hand Look at Savage. They are deadly accurate though. I'm a lefty as well I bought a Ruger m77 Mark II though. which is a little more expensive. Most manufacturers offer a rifle in left hand for a lot of their models you just need to get out there and look at them. and yes they will cost more than a right hand model. I do not suggest though that you switch to right hand unless you are fully confident that every time you pull that gun up to your eye you will have no problems looking through the scope.

raptor5618 12-10-2008 12:59 PM

I have both left hand and right hand guns. I shot a right hand muzzle loader for years and it was pretty exciting when the pan went off. I finally got a left handed one and I could actually see what went on with the shot but it was not as exciting to shoot. I also shot a right handed bow for most of my life, and only in the last few years switched to a left hand model.

But every time I switch I realized how much easier it is with a left handed gun or bow. I see there are several choices but with a laminated stock I only see that Ruger has one in stainless. If I go with synthetic then savage or Tikka have left hand models as does Remington but accuracy experience with Remington is that they are good enough but not great. My Weatherby is so much more accurate that the difference is very noticeable.

I seem to read much more about how good the Tikka gun is but that the stock is not so great. With the Savage it seems most positive comments are about the trigger. My real problem with savage is that a long time ago it was considered a junk gun. Kind of hard to put that image out of my head.

In rifles the difference is not all that much so I really would rather spend a bit more to get something built for a lefty. I never sell my guns or guitars so resale value is not much of an issue. Also this gun is for hunting so I do not think its value at resale is going to be much of an issue no matter what side you shoot from.

kelbro 12-11-2008 02:44 PM

I have 4 LH Savages and one LH SS Browning A-Bolt Stalker.Never paid more for a LH rifle (except for my 2 LH AR-15s) and never had a problem selling them. What may have been true about LH guns not selling in the brick and mortar gunshop doesn't hold up in the internet era.

Laminated, walnut, or plastic all work well for hunting rifles if finished properly. My laminated stock is nice looking but it sure gets heavy after a while.

raptor5618 12-12-2008 04:35 PM

I saw that Savage has a safety that allows you to leave it on while you unload so I guess my only issue is the clip. I think if I go for the 7mm wsm it uses a clip. If I am going to change to a different caliber I might go to 30.06. Does anyone know if Browning X bolt is planning a model for lefties?

153 12-17-2008 02:00 PM

I am a lefty also.I havea Lefty Tikka SS in 243.Most accurate gun I have ever shot.My Tikka will shot four types(all I have tried) under 3/4" groups at 100 yards.Best trigger also,only gun I have not carried to a gunsmith to get adjusted.I also own a Lefty Browning A-bolt in 270,with boss.The Browning will shoot 3/4 groups or smaller but you have to adjust the Boss with different ammo.Both are great guns,Browning wins in fit and finnish,Tikka has better trigger and smoother bolt.Value wise Tikka wins.Pick both up and shoulder see which fits better.

Father Forkhorn 12-18-2008 06:36 PM

Savage 110s and their variants have been a lefthander's best friend for decades. I have one of them in .30-06 and love it.

UncleNorby 12-19-2008 06:49 AM

Don't forget about pumps and autos. Remington, Browningand Winchester make Autos, Rem has a pump too.

bronko22000 12-23-2008 08:38 AM

Raptor - You should have been around 45 or so years ago when us leftys, if we wanted a bolt action, had to shoot either a Rem, Savage, (only in 270 or 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag.) or a Weatherby Mark V or shoot a right hand rifle.
Today you have a lot of options. The Tikka you mentioned, Savage (you can get the stainless in the model 116), Remington, Weatherby. I think you can also get Sako and if you can find a used one, even Winchester model 70.
I am sure there are a few more out there that I haven't listed.

The only stainless LH bolt I own is the Savage 116 in 30-06. With the Accutrigger, it is plenty accurate. Consistant sub MOA groups with 180 gr bullets. The stock is a bit flimsy at the forend tip but I understand that Savage has changed them and they are better. You might want to contact them and verify that.