Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady SST slugs

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady SST slugs

Well this is my second year using the Hornady SST slugs and although they shot really well out of my slug gun the just do not perform upon impact with deer. Last year I had a slug fail after hitting a running deer which caused me to make a follow up shot. Since I had purchased a few boxes of these I used them again this year and the slug failed again this year. I had a broadside running shot on a buck around 30 yards =/- a few yards. I had a solid hit right in the front leg. The slug broke the bone but failed to penetrate. The copper jacket completely seperated from the lead. If the slug would have performed properly like other slugs would have the slug would have at least made it into the lungs and the deer would have not made it much further but instead I was forced to push the deer further and make a follow up running away shot in the back leg then yet another once the deer could not move anymore at close range. I will never shoot these slugs again due to poor performance for two years now.

Just wondering if anyone else has problems with this round failing upon impact.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST slugs

I haven't used the SST's but if you want something that you won't have to worry about try the Federal Vital Shocks. They use the Barnes MZ Expander bullet. I use the same bullet for my muzzleloader and they work great. Just the best deer bullet around in my opinion. Just hope your gun will shoot them well. Here's the bullet from my Illinois first season buck. You can't get any better than that.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure why you're saying the slug failed. Is it because you had to make a follow-up shot or because it didn't penatrate. I find it difficult to believe that a slug did not shoot completing thru a deer at 30 yards.

Because you've had two bad experiances with the SST's, I would suggest that you go back to shooting your previous ammo. When any hunter fails to have convidence in his ammo or gear, it's time for a change.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I am saying the slug failed because it did not penetrate also from inspection of the entry wound after skinning and retrieving the copper jacket which had completely separated from the lead core. The plating of the copper to the lead seems to be inferior to other bullet manufacturers.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I posted the same question...

for my dad mostly, he's shot 2-3 deer with them, rather close range, probably 50yds, and agreed, hit them well, but they just seemed to fragment.

He shot a doe a while back with barness expanders at 100yds, it fell over dead. All of his SST deer stood there like they weren't hit, all were found/killed, but kinda annoying to shoot a deer and have it just stand there looking at you, even if its dead and doesn't know it. His 1 buck he put 4-6 shots in it with those SST-s, 3 of them were in like a 2" circle near the deer's heart, how that buck stayed moving, alive for so long...

That particular deer, took I think 3 shots, eventually laid down, then got back up...

I'm pretty certain he's done with the SST's no matter how well they shoot out his slug.

I wonder if they're too light/fast? but they're not any lighter than a rifle bullet nor faster, just not sure...

But he's going back to those barnes expanders probably.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I had the exact opposite effect with the two deer I shot with the SST's. Shot a large doe in the vitals at 110 yards and had a complete pass through. Exit hole was the same size as the entrance hole. Shot a medium size buck in the shoulder at 30 yards, and again had a complete pass through. Entrance and exit hole was the same size. Now this was a 12 guage.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Spike

the guys i hunt with and I all shoot SST's in 12 guage we shot five deer with them all ranging from 10 to 198 yards the all were shot broad side and right behind the shoulder and they had the same holes in them little entrance holes and huge exit holes so no problems here
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

yeah I'm shooting a 12 gauge 870. I think I'm going back to Winchester platinum tips which worked well for me. produced a good group just not as good as the SST but the deer I took with the Winchesters hit in the back leg and almost went all the way back to front through the deer at over 100 yards with perfect expansion and a larger entry wound
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to try and shoot at a deer that is standing still
Old 12-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Spike

I shot them this year for the first time,20ga encore drop a 10pt about 85yards no problem.

Quick Reply: Hornady SST slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.