Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300 ultra mag

Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default 300 ultra mag

seen on a commercial ammo for 300 ultra mag w/ different power levels

Level one - 30-06 power
2- 300 win mag
3- 300 ultra mag

anyone know much about this???? just curious from commercial...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300 ultra mag

Its remington's power level ammo.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Basically, if you already own a RUM it is a way to shoot it with lower recoil (and also lower performance).

I would not buy a gun planning to use this ammo, if you want 30-06 performance buy a 30-06. But if all you own is a 300 RUM and your wife or kid needs to use the gun you can tone it down without getting a new gun.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I don’t like them do it all calibers if you want a high performance caliber but one like a 300 wby.mag or a 30-378 wby.mag and if you want a 30-06 buy a 30-06.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

thats wat i tought when i seen the commercial is somone want the power level of that gun just get that gun
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Well guys I have a different take on the power level ammo.
Many so called hunters run out and buy the newest superduperkilleverything magnum that hits the market and then find that they can't handle the muzzle blast and recoil! This happened to a friend of mine and now he's trying to locate the reduced power ammo in hopes he might be able to hit a target. We actually hand loaded some for him before Remington started producing it themselves. We were although quiet limited as to how far we could reduce a charge in that hugh case without getting into trouble. Thankfully now we don't have to worry about it.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Put a muzzle break on it. Why would you ever buy a gun that has the capabilitysof a RUM and not use it to the fullest extent. A 300 RUM loaded the way it should be is not a comfortable gun to shoot. Break it and enjoy it!!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some people may hunt out west for elk, moose, bears, etc... where they may want the extra umph that a full power RUM cartridge will provide but they live back east where a long shot on a 200 pound white tail is 150 yards. No sense in puting up with the recoil of the full power loads while hunting deer.

The reduced loads will allow a person like this to stay familiar with his one hunt a year moose rifle with out dealing with the recoil and muzzle blase associated with full power loads.

A person may also want to get a person that has little hunting experience, such as a child or neighbor kid,into hunting but does not want to dump a load of cash into a rifle, scope, and ammountil they ae sure that this person will enjoy rifle hunting. They can start them out with reduced loads and allow them to hunt with out scaring the crap out of them with a RUM cartridge.

A person may also want to purchase a rifle like this for an upcoming huntbut would prefer to work their way up the the recoil of full power RUM loads instead of jumping right into it and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

There are a bunch of reasons someone would opt for shooting and hunting withreduced loads and still own a 300RUM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Bigbulls I have to disagree. If you want to start a youth orthe inexperienced out into hunting, the RUM even with reduced loads is not the way to go. If you are planning a hunt out West and live in the East you should be shooting the load you are going to hunt with. Be familiar with the gun in the way you plan to hunt with it. The bottom line is the RUM is over powered for North American big game unless you plan on taking animals at extended distance. In which case you probably have more than one rifle anyhow. If you want to shoot something with less power use a different rifle. I have a 300 RUM Improved and even when shooting fire forming rounds it is not intended for a beginner. I guess the argument could go on forever and to each his own.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people buy the bigger guns to make up for poor shot placement. I know one guy who could not get kill a deer with his his '06 because he was a terrible shot. He went out and got a 338 Win Mag. Now he developed a flinch and shoots even worse than before.

Quick Reply: 300 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.