Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

The next big thing!!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: The next big thing!!

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

So a whole 7 thousandths of an inch makes the 280 a real performer over the .270huh?

but sooner or later were gonna have to get out of the box and make something even more adaptable...people
Like what. What would be more adaptable?
We already have every conceivable bullet diameter and velocity covered that can be shot from a portableshoulder fired gun.
Pushing a bulletat "X" velocity from case design "A" is the same as pushing that same bullet at the same velocity from case desigh "B". What is there to adapt? You said so yourself about the 30TC essentially being a .308 Win. with different powders. Oh, except that it is suppose to achieve the velocity of the 30-06.I guess they adapted their powders huh?
Actually they did adapt their powder. You can't buy the stuff they load with. Call and ask.Furthermore, I haven't been able to find any data that even comes close to the factory loads. In a few years, maybe it will come to market, but for now that piggy is home. And yes, 7 thousands of an inchcan make a difference, especially when you consider the other factors that go into cartridge developement, like case design. Consider the wsm's, wssm's, and the saum's...they didnt even change caliber, just case design.

Look, im not looking to pick fights on here or stir up the pot, but poke me and i'll not sit idly by.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: popeye

As much as I love my 280 I can't honestly say that there is enough difference between it and a 270 that anyone would ever notice.

If you want more energy at longer ranges with similar recoil , you need to increase the caliber and weight of the bullet. For instance, a 338-06 shoots a 200gr bullet at similar velocity and tragectory as a 30-06 shoots a 180gr bullet and with simliar recoil but the 338 bullet will hit harder when it gets there.
This is what im talking about in what i would like to see in the future popeye, increasing downrange energy and decreasing arc without the added recoil. I mean really, we can put a man on the moon with less than 30 years of research, but we cant make a better bullet? The military is doing research now on caseless ammo, and so far it looks pretty promising, but it only addresses the concerns of weight and component cost. Will it bring us hunters and shooters added benefits? Sure it will. But not the benefits some of us are looking for. Hornady and some of the other bullet manufacturers have started doing this by increasing the BC of some of their bullets by adding the polymer tips, but nothing radical has happened in bullet design in a long, long time. When it comes down to it, does it bother me so much to use my 300wsm for those long shots on thick skin game? No. But wouldn't beit cool if i could do the same with something that kicked like my daughters 243....
Old 11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not poking you. Meerly having a conversation about this stuff and trying to understand your reasoning behind your statements.

I know they adapted their powder... that's why I said they did.

And yes, 7 thousands of an inchcan make a difference, especially when you consider the other factors that go into cartridge developement, like case design. Consider the wsm's, wssm's, and the saum's...they didnt even change caliber, just case design.
So going to back to your first post you said that a 280 is real performance over a .270. They are both based on the same 30-06 case and the difference is .007" in bullet diameter and bullet weight. Both firing the same weight bullet you are talking about a 40 - 60fps advantage for the .280 over the .270. I don't see the "real performance" factor here.

What you are wanting isn't possible. You can't fire a 180 grain, 30 caliberbullet at 3000 fps and expect it to recoil like a .243. Aside from the powder charge weightbeing a very very minor factor in recoil, the physics is a simple as it gets. Fire a given weight bullet at a given velocity and you will have a specific ammount of recoil. Change the design of the case all you want, orget rid ofit all together, but it isn't going to change the recoil of the rifle assuming the use of the same rifle.

The 338-06 firing a 200 grain bullet at the same velocity as a 30-06 firing a 180 grain bullet WILL have more recoil than the 30-06.

I think that bullet design has come quite a long ways in the recent years. Bullets like the Barnes, North Fork, TBBCT, XP3, etc... have allowed hunters to shoot lighter weight bullets than previous and expect the same or evenbetter performance as the much heavier lead bullets of years past.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I am not poking you. Meerly having a conversation about this stuff and trying to understand your reasoning behind your statements.

I know they adapted their powder... that's why I said they did.

And yes, 7 thousands of an inchcan make a difference, especially when you consider the other factors that go into cartridge developement, like case design. Consider the wsm's, wssm's, and the saum's...they didnt even change caliber, just case design.
So going to back to your first post you said that a 280 is real performance over a .270. They are both based on the same 30-06 case and the difference is .007" in bullet diameter and bullet weight. Both firing the same weight bullet you are talking about a 40 - 60fps advantage for the .280 over the .270. I don't see the "real performance" factor here.

What you are wanting isn't possible. You can't fire a 180 grain, 30 caliberbullet at 3000 fps and expect it to recoil like a .243. Aside from the powder charge weightbeing a very very minor factor in recoil, the physics is a simple as it gets. Fire a given weight bullet at a given velocity and you will have a specific ammount of recoil. Change the design of the case all you want, orget rid ofit all together, but it isn't going to change the recoil of the rifle assuming the use of the same rifle.

The 338-06 firing a 200 grain bullet at the same velocity as a 30-06 firing a 180 grain bullet WILL have more recoil than the 30-06.

I think that bullet design has come quite a long ways in the recent years. Bullets like the Barnes, North Fork, TBBCT, XP3, etc... have allowed hunters to shoot lighter weight bullets than previous and expect the same or evenbetter performance as the much heavier lead bullets of years past.

Okay, on the 270 vs 280...in essence, we are talking minutia..i know this, actually now that i think about it, i excell at this whole false dicotomy thing..nature vs nurture, ford vs chevy, boxers vs briefs...basically opinion backed up by as much bs as you canmuster....handloading, you do get a bigger better selection of bullets cause its a 7mm, whereas the .277 bullets are limited comparatively. On the other hand, ammofor the 270 can be found anywhere...CDI factor for the 280 is much greaterthan the 270 though...

I know what i want doesn't seem to be possible...physics and all, whichwill never really be simple, but by the same token, many things that are possible today were not possible even 10 years ago...its not that we change the laws of physics, we just learn how to better manipulate them...that was my point when with my original post..that I would like to see something like this as the next big thing vs laundry detergent that makes camoflage not glow or gumoflage 2.0 or treestands with built in flashlight....
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Maybe Barret will design a 50 cal hunting rifle with wheels to carry it's 35 lb weight. This way it will be possible to shoot elk at 1500 yds and no one will have to hunt anymore! Just drive around untill you spot one and roll it out and shoot, But the hunting bullets will need to be filled with salt just to prevent the carcass from spoiling while you attempt to reach it.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Who knows. And I don't know what they are doing to this new propellant to give these 'small' cases the same MV as the old reliables like the 338 Win Mag. and 300 Win Mag with similar pressures.
I think if they made this propellant available to the public you could probably get pertty close to these same ballistics out of your bolt action 308. Can you imagine something like a bolt action 358 win with this new powder. With - say - 25% increase in MV/Eng without any increase in pressure? That would be one heck of a round.
It has nothing to do with the powder. Let's take the 300WM vs 300 WSM for example. The 300WM loaded to SAAMI specs is usually loaded weak in factory loads. The rounds must work in any gun so the bullets are loaded deep into the case and use up powder capacity. I wring a lot more velocity from my 300WM than any factory load (nearly 3000 fps with a 200gr bullet) but my rounds would not fit in the chamber or mag of some guns.

Some of it has to do with the shorter geometry of the cases, they are slightly more efficient. Nothing you do to a 308 will make it into a 300 WSM. And few people are truly able to get the 300 WSM up to exactly the velocity of a regular 300WM, it's usually about 100 fps short.