Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

I would go to a reputable gun shop and buy a used rem. 700 for about $400 or so,if the bore is good and it is mechanically functional,you should have no problems.You could buy some other new rifles for about the same or less if you are not set on a remington.Savage,stevens model 200,marlin xl-7,or mossberg atr.I myself would get a used rem. model 700 adl,bdl,cdl or mountain rifle any would be better than a 770 from what I have saw of them.But thats just my opinion I like a rifle that will last for my lifetime and my childrens also with proper care and maintenance,and you can do some good trigger work on the 700's.An old rem. 788 like I still use could be bought for about 250-300 dollars at a gun shop and mine still shoots like it did in 1969 when it was made (I guess i was only a year old),but it would be hard for it to shot any better,this was the economic answer to the 700 back when remington still made good ones.Good Luck!!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:59 AM

I just got a new rifle and I looked at the 770 combo @ Ganderbut I thought it felt cheap. So I went up a few steps and ended up with a 700 SPS 300WMwith a Nikon 4-14 scope. Very nice gun.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok i'm fairly new to the site here, i've browsed the forums and information here for about 3 years now and i've come to conclusion that you guys can't take some one not accepting your point of view.... (ie. calling another MANS rifle choice a POS) this general question has turned into a monday mourning soap opera of who is right. To the orig. poster the real choice is up to YOU, these guys have posted the pro's and cons from both sides as a owner who sayed it fits its purpose and has never let him downfor the price and from others (gunsmiths and enthusist) who say that the quality,accuracy, and overall usefulness is well under par. the point i'm trying to make is NO ONE PERSON is right these are all personal opinions and the posters should stop jacking peoples threads to stroke there " i know more than you" mentalities and just state your opinions and experiences and stop tring to push yours off on other people. to the orig. poster good luck with your choice.
Of course you are right that the choice of what equipment to buy is up to the individual.If that individual chooses to buy sub standard equipment,that is entirely his business.But if that person later posts about problems with that sub standard equipment,he can expect to be reminded that he was warned about buying that sub standard equipment.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Spike

And........If he doesn't have any problems with his sub standard equipment he also has the right to post it here also.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Narc213

Ok i'm fairly new to the site here, i've browsed the forums and information here for about 3 years now and i've come to conclusion that you guys can't take some one not accepting your point of view.... (ie. calling another MANS rifle choice a POS) this general question has turned into a monday mourning soap opera of who is right. To the orig. poster the real choice is up to YOU, these guys have posted the pro's and cons from both sides as a owner who sayed it fits its purpose and has never let him downfor the price and from others (gunsmiths and enthusist) who say that the quality,accuracy, and overall usefulness is well under par. the point i'm trying to make is NO ONE PERSON is right these are all personal opinions and the posters should stop jacking peoples threads to stroke there " i know more than you" mentalities and just state your opinions and experiences and stop tring to push yours off on other people. to the orig. poster good luck with your choice.

i agree 100% with that. my buddys has been shooting a "budget" 770 for 2 years now with no problems. i myself shoot a "budget" mossberg atr100 and had no problems with it. and thats all i hear is "why would you buy a cheap mossberg blah blah blah"
because i like it and it looked better and feels better then some of the other guns i looked at. shoots and kills just as good as thier rifles. plus it was CHEAPER then most of the other guns.
i think why most people call another gun junk, is just because it was cheap and kills/shoots just as good or better then their $700+ gun and they get upset.

the choice is yours buy what you like and feels goods to you and if you "would" have a problem thats why they comewith warrentys.

plus every gun companyhas lemons that make it through to the consumer. you cant make a perfect gun every day, someone along the line is gonna have a bad day and not care how the gunis finished before it gets shipped.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:44 PM

Well guys, it looks like XD9 and BigEarl may have won this round!
I get the same flack because I'm a Savage fan, hell I don't like the 710 either but my Brother in law has one from their early days, and it kills his deer just fine.
Why go out and try to destroy someones confidence in a firearm that has aparrently given them no reason to hold it in contempt?
I do understand your not wanting to encourage others to buy what you believe to be an inferior rifle, but please go back and read this posting in its entireity, all 6 pages and see the error of your ways.
No where did you guys get the best of XD9, he had a field day with you, you aren't going to beat him, you might as well bring him into your fold, he isn't stupid, hell he's brilliant.
This is someone who needs to learn about guns, he may help us all one day!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, it looks like XD9 and BigEarl may have won this round!
Of course that is only your opinion.

I get the same flack because I'm a Savage fan, hell I don't like the 710 either but my Brother in law has one from their early days, and it kills his deer just fine.
The original post in this thread did not specify a deer only rifle.I personally hunt elk,moose and deer in bear country,as well as hunting the bears themselves.The last thing that I want to happen is to have that rough action cause me to have to take the rifle from my shoulder to cycle the action if I really need a second shot in a hurry.That few seconds lost can result in an animal getting into a miserable location,or worse yet a hunter being injured or killed in a bear attack.And for the record,I personally have been charged by a grizzly that I had to fire a second shot into to stop the charge.I doubt that I could have cycled a 710 /770 bolt quickly enough to get off that second shot.

As far as buying an entry level rifle and then rebarreling it,I have done it many times.Several of my custom rifles were built on 700 sps rifles purchased only for the action.Friends of mine have rebarreled Savages on several occasions as well.And not all rifle barrels last 10,000 rounds,many of the higher velocity bottleneck cartridges only get around 2500 rounds out of a barrel before the accuracy begins to fall off significantly.

The point is that a Savage or Stevens rifle cost about as much as a 710/770,and they can be rebarreled if one chooses to do so.They also offer much smoother actions that don't bind like the 710/770s.

Why do you think that Remington changed the model number of the 710?Could it be because they wanted people to think that the 770 was an entirely different rifle than the 710?By the time that some people figure out that they are virtually the same rifle,Remington will have sold even more of these rifles.

Can a 710/770 be used to kill game?Absolutely they can,but for the same price,there are better choices available such as Savage and Stevens.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My nephiew just got the 770 package and brought it over here to zero it in.

Good things;
It's accurate. Feels pretty solid. Two position safety is easy for youngsters to work and allows the gun to be unloaded/loaded while still in the "safe" position. Standard Bushnell scope isn't pure junk. Trigger isn't the worst.

Bad things;
Sticky, gritty bolt. Locked up tight during a function check and took forever to get back cycling again. Plastic "squared off" trigger guard looks and feels cheap. All the weight is at the front of the gun (a little is ok, but this is way more than a little). The sling studs are moulded into the stock and makes mounting a bipod nearly impossible. The contours of the stock are kind of odd and simple checkering would have been more effective and looked better.

In short, it's not a bad gun, just not great for the price. There are so many other guns that actually will last a lifetime in the same price range or cheaper.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sticky, gritty bolt. Locked up tight during a function check and took forever to get back cycling again.
So the problem has not been greatly reduced or eliminated with the 770 as some people would have us believe?

There are so many other guns that actually will last a lifetime in the same price range or cheaper.
The point that several of us have been making all along.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM

STUBBLEJUMPER, my point isn't to defend the Remington cheepo rifles!
My point is to stop stirring the pot, these guys have no reason to accept your openion, they have no problem with their rifle, so far it has served them well. You can't counter that, it is what it is.
I have been a member here for a few years and I do believe that xd has some of the longest post and replies that I can recall that make scense and misspelled words don't jump out at you. He very well may not know guns as well as some of us, but we owe it to him to be a help instead of a hindrance!
thanks Glenn.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.