Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

First of all, if you buy a rifle it should be an investment that you can hand down to your kids and / orgrandkids not some cheap knock off that you would be embarrassed to buy. I want my grandsons to have my rifles and keep them as if they were still mine. Yes, rifles are rebarrelled every day in this US of A and not always by choice, this is why there are gunsmiths. Most of my guns are rifles and milsurp calibers that can be commonly found in even Mom & Pop hardware stores too. OK you say? Well, I'll put it this way, a lot of the guns that are part of this world's history are far better made than the stuff they make today IMHO.

Gunsmiths are not just born, they are bred into their field and they knowa rifle better than anyone in any commercial production line gun makers lot. Anyone can slap together a 710 but it is the true artisan that makes a rifle do what it was meant to do and make it sing a sweet note that any other commercially produced rifle cannot do. I've had people TELL me that I HAD to get rid of my OLD M-1917 for a NEWERandBETTER rifle. I then challenged them to a shoot, they wanted to offer me $300 US Dollars plus any two rifles in their collections after we got done. I laughed and packed my gear and left the range. As far as the 710, I'd not lay a plug nickle on one.

Budget rifles are OK for the once a year shooter / hunterwho has to leave the city to go a state that is mostly or all country / rural setting to kill one deer a year. But when you live in a state where I am surrounded by woods 24 / 7 you want a good dependable rifle that if the need arises can be rebarrelled in the same chambering and used in short notice and not pay the cost of a NEW Weatherby .416 Mag. which I see no viable use for in the ower 48, you can do it and not have to break your wallet. Where I live your rifle is part of your arm and you need to depend on it 24 / 7. I cannot depend on a 710 to do that, nor will try to depend on one either.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM

You can buy the rifle, but you cannot buy the accuracy that the shooter you see shooting it can do either.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Spike

"First of all, if you buy a rifle it should be an investment that you can hand down to your kids and / orgrandkids not some cheap knock off that you would be embarrassed to buy. "

That said it all right there. Who is embarrased here? XD isn't embarrased. I wasn't embarassed by the 710 I owned. Your opinions just don't make sense stalking bear, I mean shurshot.... What if a man doesn't have the money to drop on a $700plus on an"investment" to hand down to his kids? He shouldn't have a place in YOUR woods? Enjoying hunting and the outdoors? Your clearly the guy who has an issue with somebody spending less than you and having the same results. Like the guy who says you aren't welcome in my camp with a 710, or a Tasco bargain scope. This topic isn't even about the gun anymore, it's about bragging rights. XD has proven your comments silly time and time again and you are accusing him of thinking HE knows everything????? Are you for real ?? This post has become so silly that YOU are arguing with XD about who knows more, simply because he doesn't share your opinion. That is the bottom line. Look at it this way. With guys like myself and XD buying budget throw away rifles, you can sit by the campfire and make fun of us and brag about your vast knowledge. We are infact doing you a favor. Heck if your a gunsmith, we are what you could call job security. Keep rebarelling these guns, it puts money in your pocket.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: shur_shott30cal

You missed the entire point XD, I'm not just talking about a "bargain rifle" here. You'd be surprised as to how many commercial rifles have been re-barreled and old milsurps too, but I see you are one of those "Monday Morning Armchair Gunsmiths" that THINKS he knows everything. Well, like an old man once told me, there is a DIFFERENCE between thinking and knowing. "You think you read"? See case in point, you READ too much and don't KNOW the facts my friend. I've studied guns for 30 years and re-barreled quite a lot due to shot out bores or the customer wants a different caliber plus I served my time in the military too. So your "weak" facts don't serve you well Sir. I don't need a Rolex either, my Casio does just fine. You would do right by "sprucing up" your M-1903 too. I got a sporterized M-1917 .30-06 that was done up before I was born and it is better than any 710 or 770 you can show it. It may not look like much but dang it will do better than any out of the box rifle you can muster mister.
Point missed? I don't see it that way. Most of you are the ignorant ones.
No, I didn't miss the point. We're talking about rebarrelling in the context of a 710 or budget rifles, not how many rifles are rebarrelled. I'm sure there are many that are rebarrelled, but compared to the total number of rifles out there, it's quite small. Again, you mention shot out bores. Just what fraction/percentage of people EVER shoot out a rifle's barrel compared to the number of firearms that are owned in this country? You may have done 500 rebarrellings in your life, but compared to the millions of rifles out there, that's a minuscule amount. So I stand by my statement that taking rebarrelling into consideration is not even a worthy consideration when purchasing a rifle unless you do a whole lot of shooting.

I disagree about my 1903. A lot of folks think it heresy to "sporterize" a piece of military history. While I won't go that far, I certainly don't want to do anything that permanently alters it's military configuration. I bought it to own a piece of American military history and even though it's made a trip to Greece and back, I'm not going to "sporterize" it if I can't readily put it back into military configuration.

First of all, if you buy a rifle it should be an investment that you can hand down to your kids and / or grandkids not some cheap knock off that you would be embarrassed to buy.
Why should it be that way? It's only a rifle. It most certainly is a very poor investment if you're talking monetary value. I rather teach my kids to spend their money wisely and not buy something they won't get their money's worth out of instead of getting carried away with a bunch of sentimentality about passing down a high-dollar firearm for 2 or 3 generations. For all I know, they may turn around and sell that investment if they don't care to hunt or don't care anything about guns. I had a uncle who died when I was young and he was a big hunter and had two daughters. Just a year or two before my son and I took up hunting, my aunt sold off his collection of firearms that I used to eye whenever I was over at her house. That collection sat in a gun cabinet for close to 30 years and I never got up the nerve to ask her if I could look them over. $%^&*(!@# I'm almost sure one of the shotguns was a Browning A5 and I'm sure the others were high quality firearms, but if he bought them with the idea of passing them down the family line and not because he actually had a need for them, then he wasted his money.

Yes, rifles are rebarrelled every day in this US of A and not always by choice, this is why there are gunsmiths.
Gunsmiths are not just born, they are bred into their field and they know a rifle better than anyone in any commercial production line gun makers lot
Again, I'm not saying they aren't nor am I saying there's not a need for it. This isn't an argument about gunsmithing. It's a great profession and most certainly a good bit of artistry and skill is involved in it.

Budget rifles are OK for the once a year shooter / hunter who has to leave the city to go a state that is mostly or all country / rural setting to kill one deer a year. But when you live in a state where I am surrounded by woods 24 / 7 you want a good dependable rifle that if the need arises can be rebarrelled in the same chambering and used in short notice and not pay the cost of a NEW Weatherby .416 Mag. which I see no viable use for in the ower 48, you can do it and not have to break your wallet. Where I live your rifle is part of your arm and you need to depend on it 24 / 7. I cannot depend on a 710 to do that, nor will try to depend on one either.
Then we can agree. The 710 is - and was designed to be - a budget rifle for those who, like myself, don't get a large amount of time in the woods to hunt. I've stated at least once here that I may get to hunt 10-12 times a year at most, and that includes if you split going in the morning, coming home for lunch and doing a few tasks and then going back in the afternoon as 2 occasions. (I am fortunate enough to be able to get to my hunting area within 45 minutes.)

I don't have a need for a .416 magnum nor is it realistic I'll ever need to have a rifle rebarrelled. If I needed to depend on a rifle 24/7, I wouldn't have bought a 710 either. It wouldn't meet my needs in that case.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Who said anything about spending $700 on a new rifle? I didn't, nor did I say anything about anyone having a place in my woods if they didn't spend that kind of money. You can buy all the guns you want, but the point I also wanted to make before you guys put a bunch of words in my mouth is that there are gunshops out there that offer plenty of good used guns that won't break your wallet and that are better than those 710's. Simple statement is all. I'm not making fun of anyone nor have I have ever. There are lot's of people out there that have good used guns in their collections and they feel embarrassed that all of them are used, but they bought what they could afford at the time. Yes they great guns, great shooters and will be handed down. Thank you for your time. And have a marvelous day.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

If you know enough about firearms to know what you're buying, then that may be a viable option. A local gun range here sells used firearms on consignment, but that leaves it up to the individual to know what he's buying. Then there's knowing what's a reasonable price for whatever firearm you're shopping for. You also need to have some idea of what to look for and inspect on a rifle. If you've got an associate that knows firearms and can help you out in a search, then that may be the way to go. For me, it was easier to just buy a new 710 and avoid all that hassle as my needs in a deer rifle are and were about as basic as you can get.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Ok i'm fairly new to the site here, i've browsed the forums and information here for about 3 years now and i've come to conclusion that you guys can't take some one not accepting your point of view.... (ie. calling another MANS rifle choice a POS) this general question has turned into a monday mourning soap opera of who is right. To the orig. poster the real choice is up to YOU, these guys have posted the pro's and cons from both sides as a owner who sayed it fits its purpose and has never let him downfor the price and from others (gunsmiths and enthusist) who say that the quality,accuracy, and overall usefulness is well under par. the point i'm trying to make is NO ONE PERSON is right these are all personal opinions and the posters should stop jacking peoples threads to stroke there " i know more than you" mentalities and just state your opinions and experiences and stop tring to push yours off on other people. to the orig. poster good luck with your choice.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Narc213

Ok i'm fairly new to the site here, i've browsed the forums and information here for about 3 years now and i've come to conclusion that you guys can't take some one not accepting your point of view.... (ie. calling another MANS rifle choice a POS) this general question has turned into a monday mourning soap opera of who is right. To the orig. poster the real choice is up to YOU, these guys have posted the pro's and cons from both sides as a owner who sayed it fits its purpose and has never let him downfor the price and from others (gunsmiths and enthusist) who say that the quality,accuracy, and overall usefulness is well under par. the point i'm trying to make is NO ONE PERSON is right these are all personal opinions and the posters should stop jacking peoples threads to stroke there " i know more than you" mentalities and just state your opinions and experiences and stop tring to push yours off on other people. to the orig. poster good luck with your choice.
+1

I shot a 770 this past sunday in .270, I was impressed, and I am not a Rem. fan.
We knocked the bulls eye full of holes, not a 1/2" group 2'' high and 2'' left. But the bulls eye.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Mine loves 150gr Sierra Game King BTSP. Picture below is from a group I shot right before the range shut down. I didn't have time to adjust the scope and try to put another group in the center, but it shows that my 710 has plenty enough accuracy for someone who hunts where shots beyond 100 yards would not be the norm.Other holes at top of target are from other ammo testing and shooting at bullseyes at the left and right corners.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ggwash21

You would be better off throwing your ammo at the game your hunting before buying one of these.... LOL

thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.