Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

I GIVE UP! it's like trying to talk to a turnip. If you guys like YOUR rifles,fine. Just don't try to convince others how good they are until you have more experience with rifles OR several examples of these junk rifles like we have.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Spike

I hope people quit buying all Remingtons. If they could sleep at night after letting such a lemon out of thier factory, they have some serious issues as a company.

Is that better? sincerly, B.E Turnip
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I GIVE UP! it's like trying to talk to a turnip. If you guys like YOUR rifles,fine. Just don't try to convince others how good they are until you have more experience with rifles OR several examples of these junk rifles like we have.
Turnip or not, I never said that my 710 was better than another rifle nor was I trying to convince anyone how good it was, only that it worked well and was accurate -- it does what it's supposed to do. You may think there are better options out there to consider, but that doesn't mean the 710/770 won't do the job.

You apparently were not aware that the later model 710s and the newer 770s no longer have the plastic bolt sleeve, so forgive me if I find some of your statements against the two rifles questionable, particularly this notion that they are "junk".

So I give up, too. I've stated my experience with the 710 and find it not to be junk and to do what I need it to do.

Everybody have a Happy Thanksgiving. I'll be in the field tomorrow morning with my trusty 710 by my side.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

EXACTLY what I siad in different words. To xd9x19-When you get the experience of not only hunting with and using,but also knowing them from inside out from working on/building them by the hundreds and over 27 years worth-come back and then MAYBE you can hold an intelligent discussion with me about rifles.
Wow, if that isn't a self proclamation of knowing everything, I'm not sure what is. Enough said.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BigEarl

Wow, if that isn't a self proclamation of knowing everything, I'm not sure what is. Enough said.
Oh, that isn't anything, BigEarl. I once had someone tell me in another discussion about the 710 that if I showed up in their deer camp with a 710, they run me off. Some times it's fun to say something good about the 710 if for no other reason than to see what silliness someone ends up posting.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xd9x19

ORIGINAL: BigEarl

Oh, that isn't anything, BigEarl. I once had someone tell me in another discussion about the 710 that if I showed up in their deer camp with a 710, they run me off. Some times it's fun to say something good about the 710 if for no other reason than to see what silliness someone ends up posting.
Tell you what, if it comes down to listen to your glowing recomendation of a pos or the knowledgeable and experienced opinion of a qualified gunsmith with 27 years of experience. You know which trail your taking a hike down.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Spike

My opinion is still one that the 770 is a decent gun to drag through the woods and will give most people years of trouble free service as long as it is used as intended. It is a low cost hunting rifle that most people will only shoot a box of ammo through anually. It is not a target practice gun that one wants to shoot 5,000 rounds through between seasons, that is not it's design. The plastic bolt issue was addressed in early 710's,the ugly stock was replaced and the magizine latch is claimed to be more durable so the only "down fall" is the action is not that of a$900 gun although still very functionable.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on a 710, try rebarrelling one once, it cannot be done. and the 770 is not much better. I'd go for a 798 or 700 BDL or CDL. Or sporterize an old Mauser or Springfield. All the 710 is is a throw away rifle too.

And I know stalkingbear personally and he is a full fledged gunsmith too, he is a man of his word.

Your mileage may vary just like opinions do.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

Tell you what, if it comes down to listen to your glowing recomendation of a pos or the knowledgeable and experienced opinion of a qualified gunsmith with 27 years of experience. You know which trail your taking a hike down.
Geez, the only "pos" around here is some of the useless opinions expressed. No one has given a "glowing recommendation", but only stated that the rifles meets the basic needs of an economy rifle. Plenty of rants against the 710/770, but very little information that would do anybody any good. Without any explanation, saying that it's got a pressed barrel or formerly had a plastic bolt sleeve doesn't mean a whole lot unless you're going to say why that's a bad thing.

Well, even the knowledge and experience of 27 years of gunsmithing doesn't make one infallible, as is shown by the previous statement that the 770 had a plastic bolt sleeve when that was discontinued in the last couple of years of 710 production. Whether you agree with my statements about the 710 or not, at least I explained why I made my choice vs the Savage 110/111 package.

ORIGINAL: shur_shott30cal

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on a 710, try rebarrelling one once, it cannot be done. and the 770 is not much better. I'd go for a 798 or 700 BDL or CDL. Or sporterize an old Mauser or Springfield. All the 710 is is a throw away rifle too.

And I know stalkingbear personally and he is a full fledged gunsmith too, he is a man of his word.

Your mileage may vary just like opinions do.
Who buys a budget rifle with the intention of rebarrelling it? It doesn't make economic sense. Just how many commercial rifles ever produced have been rebarrelled anyway? Probably in the single digits if not even a fraction of a percentage point. Weak, very weak. I think I read a general rule was that it takes about 10,000 rounds to "shoot out a barrel". If one shoots 40 rounds a month, that means it will take almost 20 years to wear out the barrel. I might shoot 40 rounds a year at most, so I don't think I need to take rebarrelling into consideration. Others may, but for the vast majority of hunters it's a non-issue.

You call it a "throwaway rifle". So? I've got a $6 watch I got at Walmart. Keeps just as good a time as my Seiko. When the battery dies or the plastic wristband breaks, I just buy a new one. Doesn't mean the cheapo watch doesn't keep good time and serve a purpose. People spend thousands of dollars on Rolexes that keep no better time a $6 one, but it sure impresses their buddies, just like some people's rifle purchases.

Throwaway watches have their place.....and so do so-called "throwaway rifles". I've got a Springfield 1903. A new stock for it would be at least $80-100. A scope another $50-100 minimum. Add on a bit of other work and you'll easily blow by the cost of a 710.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 PM

"Who buys a budget rifle with the intention of rebarrelling it? It doesn't make economic sense. Just how many commercial rifles ever produced have been rebarrelled anyway? Probably in the single digits if not even a fraction of a percentage point. Weak, very weak. I think I read a general rule was that it takes about 10,000 rounds to "shoot out a barrel". If one shoots 40 rounds a month, that means it will take almost 20 years to wear out the barrel. I might shoot 40 rounds a year at most, so I don't think I need to take rebarrelling into consideration. Others may, but for the vast majority of hunters it's a non-issue.

You call it a "throwaway rifle". So? I've got a $6 watch I got at Walmart. Keeps just as good a time as my Seiko. When the battery dies or the plastic wristband breaks, I just buy a new one. Doesn't mean the cheapo watch doesn't keep good time and serve a purpose. People spend thousands of dollars on Rolexes that keep no better time a $6 one, but it sure impresses their buddies, just like some people's rifle purchases.

Throwaway watches have their place.....and so do so-called "throwaway rifles". I've got a Springfield 1903. A new stock for it would be at least $80-100. A scope another $50-100 minimum. Add on a bit of other work and you'll easily blow by the cost of a 710."

You missed the entire point XD, I'm not just talking about a "bargain rifle" here. You'd be surprised as to how many commercial rifles have been re-barreled and old milsurps too, but I see you are one of those "Monday Morning Armchair Gunsmiths" that THINKS he knows everything. Well, like an old man once told me, there is a DIFFERENCE between thinking and knowing. "You think you read"? See case in point, you READ too much and don't KNOW the facts my friend. I've studied guns for 30 years and re-barreled quite a lot due to shot out bores or the customer wants a different caliber plus I served my time in the military too. So your "weak" facts don't serve you well Sir. I don't need a Rolex either, my Casio does just fine. You would do right by "sprucing up" your M-1903 too. I got a sporterized M-1917 .30-06 that was done upbefore I was born and it is better than any 710 or 770 you can show it. It may not look like much but dang it will do better than any out of the box rifle you can muster mister.
Point missed? I don't see it that way. Most of you are the ignorant ones.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.