HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Best Whitetail bullet (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/264006-best-whitetail-bullet.html)

tbuck300wsm 09-19-2008 07:21 PM

Best Whitetail bullet

If your were to choose just one bullet to use on whitetail from 0 to 300yds, what would that be??? I shot a 270win just for the sake of augerment and was told that a rapiad expanding bullet such as a ballsitic tip was thebest choice, what do u THINK ???? Thanks......

scott26 09-19-2008 07:35 PM

RE: Best Whitetail bullet

You will probably get plenty of opinions, but in all honesty just about any bullet you choose in that cartridge will work fine on deer. (Excluding varmint loads or FMJ.) Ballistic tips sometimes get a bad rap but they have worked well for me in my 308.So have cor-lokts and winchester power-points What ever is most accurate out of your gun is what I would go with.

Scott

Rebel Hog 09-19-2008 08:23 PM

For years I shot FED 130gr NP..............In 1995 I switched to Norma 6.5mmSwede 156gr "Alaska"...................When I use the .243 it's Sierra 100gr "Game King"........

Mojotex 09-19-2008 08:32 PM

Like already mentioned, opinions and experiences will run all over the board. I am an older dude. Hand load most of my hunting ammo. Everything from 6.5x55SE to 444 Marlin, and lots in between. Have tried many different designs of bullets. Use Nosler Partitions for about every thing. Also use the Game King. Both of these have been around for a long, long time. have done fine on white tail, mule deer and wild hogs. Have not tried any of the newer "bonded" stuff, but plan to. The polymer tipped bonded designs are intriguing.

If I had to stick with one for white tail only, Game King. Like I said, I am an older due. If it works well, I am not changing it !!

valkrider8 09-19-2008 10:52 PM

I had two bad experiences with ballistic tip bullets. Dropped two deer in their tracks with them, but the bullet seem to just explode on impact. There were no exit wounds on either of them. The problem was visible when they were skinned out, the shoulder meat (entry hole) was just pulverized (blue/purple in color) and had to be discarded. I haven't used ballistic tips since, to explosive for me IMHO. As mentioned before, power point, and cor-lokts are good choices. FYI, both deer were shot with a 270 at 80-90 yards. Just my .02

RugerM77.270 09-21-2008 04:16 PM

You can kill a deer with any lead cast, soft point, controlled expantion, or bonded bullet out there. The key to kill a deer at 0 - 300 yards it to hit it right and to do that yo have to be able to shoot straight and your rifle has to be able to shoot straight. Let your rifle pick the bullet it likes best every rifle is different.

TJEN 09-22-2008 01:55 PM

140gr Partition hands down. But out to 300 yards the 150gr corelokt RN would be just fine and from 20-150 yards hard to beat. Two others would be the hornady 140gr interlock BT and the 150gr spire point.

kelbro 09-23-2008 09:25 AM

Whitetails do not, contrary to popular belief, wear kevlar. I think that any decent bullet will work out to 300 if your load is developed properly and you are practiced enough to be able to hit consistently at that range.

I prefer not to use ballistic tips because most often, my shots are far less than 300 and the BTs seem to devastate a lot of good meat at close range.

popeye 09-23-2008 01:59 PM

My number 1 choice for whitetails is a Nosler BT. Doesn't matter is I what I shoot them in, I get acceptable hunting accuracy and they have ALWAYS worked as advertised. I've shot them since they hit the market, before they became available in factory loaded ammo, and have kills dozens of deer with everything from 25 cal to 338's.

firstshot 09-23-2008 05:02 PM

Like others have already said, just about anything will do in a whitetail. I use Speer 145 Grn Hot-Cor's(openareas)and Hornady 154 Grn RN (woods)in both of my 7mm-08's.

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!