Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Savage Rifle questions. >

Savage Rifle questions.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage Rifle questions.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Savage Rifle questions.

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I don't think Arrows meant what he said - just a poor choice of words. My first bolt action rifle was a Savage 110 many moons ago in .243. That rifle had a stock like a club but was very accurate. It accounted to dozens of deer and countless groundhogs and crows. And the trigger was adjustable. I had it down to just a couple pounds with no creep. It was nice and crisp. I think the Stevens linestill uses this trigger on their models as did Savage just prior to the introduction of the Accutrigger.
So for $140 savings, I would go with the non accutrigger one and if you don't have experience adjusting a trigger, take it to a gunsmith who will do it for you.
Agreed
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

forget the accu trigger then you have an extra 140 bucks to spend towards a good scope,you can get a lower price nikon,leupold or burris for just a few more dollars,your rifle cannot shoot no better than your scope will let it!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 AM

I bought the combo with the scope and gun when I got my savage and the gun is great but like everyone said the the scope is junk. My scope is maxed out at about 175 yrds which I can do without a scope. As far as the accu trigger mine has it but I have never noticed a difference in my shooting without one. I never knew they got a extra $140 bucks for it. I would have saved my money if I knew.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I don't think Arrows meant what he said - just a poor choice of words. My first bolt action rifle was a Savage 110 many moons ago in .243. That rifle had a stock like a club but was very accurate. It accounted to dozens of deer and countless groundhogs and crows. And the trigger was adjustable. I had it down to just a couple pounds with no creep. It was nice and crisp. I think the Stevens linestill uses this trigger on their models as did Savage just prior to the introduction of the Accutrigger.
So for $140 savings, I would go with the non accutrigger one and if you don't have experience adjusting a trigger, take it to a gunsmith who will do it for you.
Agreed
No, I did use a poor choice of words. Im just jealous of the incredible accuracy that they produce.

I agree with these guys, you do not need the accutrigger. My cousin has the 110 and it shoots great without it. Im personally thinking of getting a Timney for my Ruger M77 MKII because I can not stand how heavy the trigger pull is..

BTW, the Savage rifle comes free floated with a bedded action if Im not mistaken?I wish my Ruger had all that stuff, even the barrel on it is too thin I think and heats up too quickly. I have to wait a good two to three minutes in between shots after about my first 5 and it irritates me but other than that it does the job forhunting rifle. I have a 7 mag and that helps the accuracy out tremendously but Ipaid $475 for mine and I am stuck with having to find a Timney trigger for around $109. With the 111 you won't have to worry about any upgrades to the gun.

Savage - well made, extremely accurate, and very affordable
Ruger - built like a tank and a good shooterbut needs some work
Remington - A happy medium

I think the 111 looks like a good choice w/o the accutrigger.