HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Which holster for concealed Glock 30? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/255462-holster-concealed-glock-30-a.html)

game4lunch 07-31-2008 07:31 PM

Which holster for concealed Glock 30?

I've got the Glock 30 in .45 ACP and I'm wanting to get a holster that would allow me to conceal it. Yes, I have the permit.
One "obsticle" I have is . . . I'm 5'9" and 330lbs! So any belt or waistband type is very uncomfortable and it would take too long finding it! Besides, I rarely even wear a belt.
I'm not crazy about shoulder harnesses because of their bulk and you almost have to be wearing a jacket or something over it to conceal. And the ankle type is out cause it's too far to reach, (lol).
Any conceal holsters out there some of you "beefier" guys are happy with? Style, brand, material, etc.

Tuco 08-01-2008 02:33 PM

RE: Which holster for concealed Glock 30?

You have pretty much eliminated most of your choices. I would consider a high quality belt and maybe a cross draw holster. I really like Simply Rugged holsters, they have belt slots so you can wear it on your strong side or cross draw. Check them out at www.simplyrugged.com.

Ruger-Redhawk 08-04-2008 08:34 PM

Hmmm sounds like you have decided against most of the common ones for one reason or another.I carry a G-30 and I use a Bianchi#6 (IWB) inside the waist ban.I have love handles myself (5'11" 260lbs)and when sitting it is pretty uncomfortable.Walking or standing it's not bad.Have you considered a Fanny Pack? That might be your best option.I bought a Bianchi Fanny Pack several years ago.It wasverycomfortable using.My problem with that is, now days I think wearing a Fanny Pack pretty much advertises that you are packing something.I haven't worn it for a long time forthat reason.

Good luck finding what will work for you.

loghead53 08-05-2008 05:22 AM

I also have a Glock 30 that I carry. My problem is that I live in Florida and you can't wear a jacket most of the time. I carry mine in a side pocket of my backpack which I have with me every where I go. I will have to take a look at the Bianchi #6 and see if I can wear it with just a shirt over it.

cascadedad 08-05-2008 09:49 AM

I am 5'10" and have been up to about 235 lbs in the past. I have had a Glock 27 for a number of years and frankly, I just never carried it. I could not find a comfortable way to carry it and it was very difficult to conceal with the way I dress.

I recently bought a KelTec P-3AT. It isn't built like a Glock, but mine has been 100% flawless so far. IF you do have a problem with it, KelTec is said to have wonderful customer service. I know it isn't the gun that a Glock 30 or 27 is, but I can easily carry it in front pocket with a pocket holster.

Just an idea if you continue to have difficulties.

Ruger-Redhawk 08-05-2008 02:18 PM

I'll kill two birds with one stone here.

loghead53 I know what you are talking about living in FL and not wearing a jacket. I lived down in FL from 1958 until 2007.I carry my G-30 in this Bianchi #6 under a tee shirt most of the time.It conceals well. I have found it's much better wearing a dark colored shirt.A light colored shirt seems to make it show up more and the black gunseems to shows through a little.I carry everywhere l go and have never been questioned.The only down fall is the steel clip. It's to strong and very hard to get on and off. It has a ridge to stop it from sliding off your belt. It's just to high a ridge to make it pracitcal for taking it on and off. I had that plastic one off the Uncle Mike's sewn on and it made a world of difference. Something you might keep in mind.I think this holster which is all leather was around 17.50 I found on line at

http://www.bratemans.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HipHols ters this link will take you to the page
Bratemans was a flat 9.95 I think it was for shipping. Something you might look at other places.

After I had ordered these from these people I found the same holster a couple bucks cheaper. Ithink ?it was at www.cheaperthandirt.com

cascadedad I carried a G-27 until I got this G-30. I ordered this same holster except for the G-27.Iended up exchangingfor another G-30 holster. The one supposedly for the 27 was way to small.I think it was miscarded and was for a revolver or a smaller semi auto. It looked nothing like the G-30's holster.The barrel from the end of the holster was a good 3/4". The G-30 holster does fit it but it is a tad big for it.I switch back and forth. I always liked my G27 I just wanted a 45 ACP to carry.

Bulzeye 08-08-2008 09:36 AM

Good choice of gun.

I think you're left with Fanny Packs and Belly Bands.
Maybe an Appendix style carry with a more horizontal tilt?
Doesn't sound comfy to me, but it's one that rarely gets mentioned.

I'm on the thin side, so I haven't had to deal with this issue firsthand, but...
If you still want to try the waistband thing, maybe you could look into holsters made for women. Don't laugh. There are an increasing number of them that accomodate the waist-to-hip ratio that women have and position the gun so that it does not dig into one's side. Might work. Just my own out-of-the-blue idea though. If you decide to go that way, post it here. I'd like to know if it works.

Good luck.

Bulzeye 08-08-2008 09:40 AM

Although I'm a Glock fan myself, and love the 45 for defense, I have to say that downsizing the gun/caliber may be your best bet.

Kahrs are thinner and come in 45, thinner in 40.
Others too.