Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tikka Review.....

Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Tikka Review.....

Wonderin', as I've been offered one in a trade to settle a debt...

Can't think I want it real bad over the money, but hell, mebbe I can turn it around to someone else.

Can't recall pickin' one up so all I got is what I've heard, and some ofthat ain't all good.

Heard there's a bunch of plastic on 'em....

We're talking a T3 Hunter wood/blue.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Tikka Review.....

I have went back and forth. Most I have seen will shoot around 1MOA and some better, some worse. But its just put together so cheap. I would rather have a savage myself. They are decent gun for the crowd they were intended to sell too. Cheap accurate for sub500 dollar rifle crowd.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Thought maybe too,it'd be worth lettin' the Boy take it and play rough with it....

Somethin' that'd I'd not miss much if it puked on him.

It's got a Leupy on top and that'd help cover the coin somewhat, as I've never felt Ihad too many of them kickin' around.............
Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some folks love 'em, some don't. I think bigcountry nailed it. I think they are a good truck gun, or for somebody more inclined to be less than careful (in other words...beat it up with use).
Old 07-26-2008, 09:28 AM

My kid is pretty hard on stuff, it'd be a testament to their tuffness if it holds up more than a single season with him.....grins.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

Good point there. I remember back when I first started deer hunting. I had no business with a nice gun. I was so rough on everything. Falling down hills, banging my gun. I remember the first few deer I shot. I was so excited, I had my tree stand on and dragging my deer, that I was banging the stock against the stand and didn't even realize it until I cleaned it. All I could think about, was getting my prized possession deer back to the truck. Later I realized my stupidity.

Youngun idea is a good one. And they are relatively accurate with careful reloading.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Spike

I recently purchased a Tikka T3 25-06 and a Sako 85 300wsm. The Tikka is sub 1MOA, so is the 85, but I can't get use to all of the cheap plastic. Its a great gun for the rough and the elements but if I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased the laminated version. My future plans will be to restock it when possible.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd take a Tikka over a Savage any day of the week. What other $500 rifle comes with a 1moa three shot guarantee? The hunter version is a very very nice rifle for the money. I am not too fond of the synthetic stocked T3 lites but the hunter (and laminated versions as Dominick pointed out)is quite a rifle IMO. Of course I am not exactly too fond of any of the factory synthetic stocks with few exceptions.

The bolt is a solid two piece (body and dove tailed handle) that operates slick as greased owl poop. You have the famed Sako extractor, Bores are smooth and brite with hardly a hint of a tool mark in them, very nice trigger right out of the box that is consumer adjustable. For what they cost it would be real hard for a company to produce a better rifle that shoots as good.

There are two thingsI don't like. #1 is the one size fits all receiver length and the plastic trigger guard and magazine. But by doing this they are able to keep the costs down and still produce a rifle that will outshootmost every otherrifles in its price range. I don't know of any one having problems with the magazines or trigger guards.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike

My tikka in 338 federal is a really great shooting gun. Now I don't care for the straight throw of the stocks so the synthetic stock has been replaced with a richards. Yes the bolt is pieces put together, the trigger guard and mag are plastic (won't rust that way) but the thing will do 1/2" @ 100 if I do my part right, The other I have is a 6.5 x 55 and the verdic is still out on that one, I've just replaced the scope to see if that is where the problem is at. If that fixes it then the factory wood stock will be replaced with one from richards that's in the closet waiting. I've had my hands on a 270 that someone had really misused, the barrel on the outside was slightly pitted, bore was good but it still did the sub 1 moa all day long, the boss had been looking for a 270 and the price on the thing was good, so I let it go.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM

At 51 I have owned many rifles over the years. My T3 300 win mag is the most accurate rifle I have owned. Regardless of its pitfalls, because it is so accurate and reliable it will be a keeper!

Quick Reply: Tikka Review.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.