HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Leupold Scope concerns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/252014-leupold-scope-concerns.html)

Sheridan 07-08-2008 12:52 PM

Leupold Scope concerns

I am looking to buy the “new” Leupold VX-L (4.5 – 14X 50MM) but I have heard some MIXED reviews, in particular the performance in inclement weather.

Some of the comments came from cold and rainy conditions causing the scope to fog-up and a dark edge due to the crescent shape bell.

Okay, I know the great reputation of Leupold and I know there are plenty of you who swear by them, so I am looking for those who have personal experience with this specific model (VX-L).

Thanks to all in advance!!!

CamoCop 07-08-2008 02:04 PM

RE: Leupold Scope concerns

try the "optics" forum

bubba holley 07-08-2008 06:09 PM

whats happening id its getting knocked out of sight because of it being mounted so closed to the barrell

Pawildman 07-08-2008 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bubba holley

whats happening id its getting knocked out of sight because of it being mounted so closed to the barrell

Wow........

Rifle Loony 07-08-2008 07:56 PM

I'm a Leupy diehard......

I've enough personal experience with other things Leupold to know I've no use for that stupid VX-L thing.

It do apparently appeal to some though.........

bigbulls 07-08-2008 08:47 PM

Unless a scope is actually touching the barrel that isn't possible.

You couldn't give me a VXL or VX7 with that stupid lense system on those.

First,you don't actually have the amount of glass that a normal 50 or 56mm would have due to the cut out so you are loosing low light performance compared to al full lense of the same diameter. I don't know the calculations to figure it out but I would suspect that if someone measured and did the calculations ofthe actual surface area of the two styles of lenses I beta 56mm VXL has close to the same glass surface as a 50mm round lense and very near the same performance with out the added weight.

Second, they have to make the scope tube larger and heavier in order to secure the objective lense in the tube. They can't simplythread the lense retaining ring into the end of the tube and tighten itlike they can on a round lense. They must make the tube large enough for several screws to pass between the glass and tube to secure the lense retaining ring. Compare them side by side to a scope of equal mm next time you are in a store and you will see how they have to make the tube bigger to accomodate the screws.

bugsNbows 07-09-2008 05:14 AM

An ugly sales gimmick as well. Wouldn't have one.

Colorado Luckydog 07-09-2008 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

An ugly sales gimmick as well. Wouldn't have one.
An ugly EXPENSIVE sales gimmick!:D

I'm gladI read this, I was really wanting to get one. I'll just be happy with the scopes I have!

salukipv1 07-09-2008 03:47 PM

I'd take a regular old vx-iii 4.5-14x50 is cheaper too than the VX-L version...

The whole VX-L gimmic is to give you 50mm performance on a 40mm height.....so ya comparing 50mm to 50mm vxL doesn't work but 50mm VXL vs 40mm VX-III is how they marketed it, even with the cutout the 50mm has more area than a 40mm, but of course not a 50mm, and the 56mm will give you a 50mm height mount I believe, that's the whole concept.

I don't think I'd own a scope over 50mm, such as a 56mm, so up to 50mm I'd just use the standard vx-iii.

bugsNbows 07-10-2008 05:21 AM

What salukipv1 said. I don't see the need for large bell objectives on regular hunting rifles. All mine (and the wife's too are between 33 and 42 mm. Nothing larger and no adjustable objectives either.

Rifle Loony 07-10-2008 07:35 AM

MUCH can be done with a fixed six.......

CZ2506 07-10-2008 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

MUCH can be done with a fixed six.......
+1. I'm running an IOR Valdada 6x42mm Tacticle on my A-Bolt 25-06. Plenty of power out to as far as I can shoot.

bigbulls 07-10-2008 02:55 PM

What leupold should do is concentrate on makeing their scopes long enough so that you don't have to use extension rings or reversed bases to mount them. Most of ther scopes barely fit on a short action much less a long action.

gunnermhr 07-10-2008 08:46 PM

What leupold should do is concentrate on makeing their scopes long enough so that you don't have to use extension rings or reversed bases to mount them. Most of ther scopes barely fit on a short action much less a long action.
What? I own several and don't seem to have a problem. Do you want one as long as a Unertl?

Rifle Loony 07-11-2008 04:03 AM

Never had a mounting issue on any of my short actions, or my long actions, with Leupy scopes...

Not understanding that gripe at all.............

bigbulls 07-11-2008 07:15 AM

The gripe is that they are short enough (not all of them) that in order to mount them to fit a variety of sizes of people you must use either extension rings or reverse front or rear bases that extend over the ejection portof the rifleto give the shooter proper eye relief. Remember that not every one is built the same nor do they shoot the gun the same.

Leupold isn't the only offender of this though. IMO there are a lot of scopes that are too short.

Rifle Loony 07-11-2008 07:45 AM

Between me at 6'4", my son 5'8", and my wife 5'1" we've no suchproblems with the Leupies we shoot.

Have seen a wide range of other size folks too suffer no issues with 'em.......

Sorry, can't feel your pain...........

johnnybravoo77 07-11-2008 09:05 AM

No problems with the vx-L. Great scope, superb in low light. I respect most of your opinions, but does anyone actually have any experience with these scopes?

Rifle Loony 07-11-2008 10:11 AM

I'll step up and say I don't want to........

Sheridan 07-11-2008 12:54 PM

Rifle Loony,

Have you ever heard this phrase before;

"New opinions are always suspect, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common." -John Locke

Or perhaps this one;

"Practice what you preach"...........I was surprised coming from you, try to keep an open mind.

No offense ment or intended!!!!

Rifle Loony 07-12-2008 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

Rifle Loony,

Have you ever heard this phrase before;

"New opinions are always suspect, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common." -John Locke

Or perhaps this one;

"Practice what you preach"...........I was surprised coming from you, try to keep an open mind.

No offense ment or intended!!!!

I'm simply saying that I've no use for an $800 to $1300 sales gimmick despite being a diehard fan of the manufacturer...

Got no reason to go down that road, and can't think of any coming up in the future.

If buying/using such a thing coddles your senses then have at it and rock on. I'd rather put the money elsewhere in the rig and think myself greatful for havingjust as muchfor much less...

And of course you did intend offense, else you'd kept your keyboard quiet, or at least would have added your views or experience on the subject without the purely non-scope-related pontification............

Roseaukaine 07-12-2008 09:04 AM

I have one...used in in all kinds of nasty weather. No problems so far.

I also have several VX series...I have noticed no differences in light transmission.

Seems like a typical Leupy....lifetime warranty, so I am not concerned.

johnnybravoo77 07-12-2008 09:13 AM

And of course you did intend offense, else you'd kept your keyboard quiet, or at least would have added your views or experience on the subject without the purely non-scope-related pontification...........
If you would pay attention, Sheridan is the one who started this post. Dont be a jack@ss.

bigcountry 07-12-2008 01:21 PM

Only thing the VX-L gets you , is maybe more FOV. Taking the hunk of glass out to make it lower, is lowering your surface area of the glass, and making it expensive to manufacture, especially the housing. And lowering the surface area of the objective, you might as well by a 40mm and mount it low anyway.

I like it but can't see much advantage too it.

Pawildman 07-12-2008 06:08 PM

I am basically a Leupold guy. I own a bunch of them. But I just can't see myself ever owning one of those engineering/repairing nightmares. I also think it's just an expensive gimmick. I ain't bitin'........Sorry......

bigbulls 07-13-2008 12:54 AM

Here is a shining example of what I was talking about earlier in this thread about longer main tubes on Leupold scopes.

On the cover of this months RIFLE magazine.

Here is a Leupold 2.5-8X36, VX-III mounted on a Cooper .280. Because the scopes tube is so short they were forced to use extension rings and completely ruin the rifles asthetics with this crappy eye sore. They also had to use higher than normal rings to get the scopes bell to clear the mounts. And their still isn't any room to move the scope foward or rearward to get perfect eye relief.

Now, before any one says that this scope is a compact scope meant for use on a compact rifle....... the VX-III, 3.5-10X50 has the exact same tube measurements as this scope.

For compariston purposes the Burris Signature select line of scopes all have 5.5" for the 1.75-5X32to 7.3" for the 8-32X44long main tubes allowing you many more mounting options.

bugsNbows 07-13-2008 08:30 AM

I agree with bigbulls. That Leupy 2.5-8 is not the right scope for that Cooper. Also, I'd lose the Leupy mounts and go with Talley's or Conetrols (along with a longer body scope).I recently put a Swaro AV 3-10 X 42 on my Cooper 52 in Talley's, and I consider it about perfect...looking and shooting.

Rifle Loony 07-16-2008 06:09 AM

Food for thought...........

It appears that Leupold will shortly discontinue the VXIII and VXL line of scopes! At least one supplier has corroborated the rumor by informing us that our last day to take orders for these lines is August 14.

We have no firm word on what will be replacing the venerable VXIII line, but we can only assume it's going to be better.

No more VXIIIs !!!

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.

bigcountry 07-16-2008 09:58 AM

If they are smart, they will go back to the one piece tube design on the Vari-X III and keep the top quality lense and index matching of the VX.

oldelkhunter 07-16-2008 12:02 PM

VX-III and VX-L are to be discontinued by Leupold. AM interested to see what takes their place