Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Leupold Scope concerns

Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Leupold Scope concerns

I am looking to buy the “new” Leupold VX-L (4.5 – 14X 50MM) but I have heard some MIXED reviews, in particular the performance in inclement weather.

Some of the comments came from cold and rainy conditions causing the scope to fog-up and a dark edge due to the crescent shape bell.

Okay, I know the great reputation of Leupold and I know there are plenty of you who swear by them, so I am looking for those who have personal experience with this specific model (VX-L).

Thanks to all in advance!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold Scope concerns

try the "optics" forum
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

whats happening id its getting knocked out of sight because of it being mounted so closed to the barrell
Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bubba holley

whats happening id its getting knocked out of sight because of it being mounted so closed to the barrell

Wow........
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM

I'm a Leupy diehard......

I've enough personal experience with other things Leupold to know I've no use for that stupid VX-L thing.

It do apparently appeal to some though.........
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless a scope is actually touching the barrel that isn't possible.

You couldn't give me a VXL or VX7 with that stupid lense system on those.

First,you don't actually have the amount of glass that a normal 50 or 56mm would have due to the cut out so you are loosing low light performance compared to al full lense of the same diameter. I don't know the calculations to figure it out but I would suspect that if someone measured and did the calculations ofthe actual surface area of the two styles of lenses I beta 56mm VXL has close to the same glass surface as a 50mm round lense and very near the same performance with out the added weight.

Second, they have to make the scope tube larger and heavier in order to secure the objective lense in the tube. They can't simplythread the lense retaining ring into the end of the tube and tighten itlike they can on a round lense. They must make the tube large enough for several screws to pass between the glass and tube to secure the lense retaining ring. Compare them side by side to a scope of equal mm next time you are in a store and you will see how they have to make the tube bigger to accomodate the screws.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

An ugly sales gimmick as well. Wouldn't have one.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

An ugly sales gimmick as well. Wouldn't have one.
An ugly EXPENSIVE sales gimmick!

I'm gladI read this, I was really wanting to get one. I'll just be happy with the scopes I have!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take a regular old vx-iii 4.5-14x50 is cheaper too than the VX-L version...

The whole VX-L gimmic is to give you 50mm performance on a 40mm height.....so ya comparing 50mm to 50mm vxL doesn't work but 50mm VXL vs 40mm VX-III is how they marketed it, even with the cutout the 50mm has more area than a 40mm, but of course not a 50mm, and the 56mm will give you a 50mm height mount I believe, that's the whole concept.

I don't think I'd own a scope over 50mm, such as a 56mm, so up to 50mm I'd just use the standard vx-iii.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What salukipv1 said. I don't see the need for large bell objectives on regular hunting rifles. All mine (and the wife's too are between 33 and 42 mm. Nothing larger and no adjustable objectives either.

Quick Reply: Leupold Scope concerns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.