HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Leupold Scope concerns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/252014-leupold-scope-concerns.html)

Rifle Loony 07-12-2008 05:02 AM

RE: Leupold Scope concerns

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

Rifle Loony,

Have you ever heard this phrase before;

"New opinions are always suspect, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common." -John Locke

Or perhaps this one;

"Practice what you preach"...........I was surprised coming from you, try to keep an open mind.

No offense ment or intended!!!!

I'm simply saying that I've no use for an $800 to $1300 sales gimmick despite being a diehard fan of the manufacturer...

Got no reason to go down that road, and can't think of any coming up in the future.

If buying/using such a thing coddles your senses then have at it and rock on. I'd rather put the money elsewhere in the rig and think myself greatful for havingjust as muchfor much less...

And of course you did intend offense, else you'd kept your keyboard quiet, or at least would have added your views or experience on the subject without the purely non-scope-related pontification............

Roseaukaine 07-12-2008 09:04 AM

I have one...used in in all kinds of nasty weather. No problems so far.

I also have several VX series...I have noticed no differences in light transmission.

Seems like a typical Leupy....lifetime warranty, so I am not concerned.

johnnybravoo77 07-12-2008 09:13 AM

And of course you did intend offense, else you'd kept your keyboard quiet, or at least would have added your views or experience on the subject without the purely non-scope-related pontification...........
If you would pay attention, Sheridan is the one who started this post. Dont be a jack@ss.

bigcountry 07-12-2008 01:21 PM

Only thing the VX-L gets you , is maybe more FOV. Taking the hunk of glass out to make it lower, is lowering your surface area of the glass, and making it expensive to manufacture, especially the housing. And lowering the surface area of the objective, you might as well by a 40mm and mount it low anyway.

I like it but can't see much advantage too it.

Pawildman 07-12-2008 06:08 PM

I am basically a Leupold guy. I own a bunch of them. But I just can't see myself ever owning one of those engineering/repairing nightmares. I also think it's just an expensive gimmick. I ain't bitin'........Sorry......

bigbulls 07-13-2008 12:54 AM

Here is a shining example of what I was talking about earlier in this thread about longer main tubes on Leupold scopes.

On the cover of this months RIFLE magazine.

Here is a Leupold 2.5-8X36, VX-III mounted on a Cooper .280. Because the scopes tube is so short they were forced to use extension rings and completely ruin the rifles asthetics with this crappy eye sore. They also had to use higher than normal rings to get the scopes bell to clear the mounts. And their still isn't any room to move the scope foward or rearward to get perfect eye relief.

Now, before any one says that this scope is a compact scope meant for use on a compact rifle....... the VX-III, 3.5-10X50 has the exact same tube measurements as this scope.

For compariston purposes the Burris Signature select line of scopes all have 5.5" for the 1.75-5X32to 7.3" for the 8-32X44long main tubes allowing you many more mounting options.

bugsNbows 07-13-2008 08:30 AM

I agree with bigbulls. That Leupy 2.5-8 is not the right scope for that Cooper. Also, I'd lose the Leupy mounts and go with Talley's or Conetrols (along with a longer body scope).I recently put a Swaro AV 3-10 X 42 on my Cooper 52 in Talley's, and I consider it about perfect...looking and shooting.

Rifle Loony 07-16-2008 06:09 AM

Food for thought...........

It appears that Leupold will shortly discontinue the VXIII and VXL line of scopes! At least one supplier has corroborated the rumor by informing us that our last day to take orders for these lines is August 14.

We have no firm word on what will be replacing the venerable VXIII line, but we can only assume it's going to be better.

No more VXIIIs !!!

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.

bigcountry 07-16-2008 09:58 AM

If they are smart, they will go back to the one piece tube design on the Vari-X III and keep the top quality lense and index matching of the VX.

oldelkhunter 07-16-2008 12:02 PM

VX-III and VX-L are to be discontinued by Leupold. AM interested to see what takes their place