HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   7MM Remington Magnum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/250574-7mm-remington-magnum.html)

Sheridan 06-25-2008 09:53 PM

7MM Remington Magnum

I understand there is always pros and cons to consider in every decision.
I am looking at a 7MM Remington Magnum for a long range big game rifle.
Offer opinions on the down sides of this caliber/cartridge.
Please refrain from suggesting another caliber/cartridge as a substitute.
Thanks in advance for offering your expertise and experiences.

salukipv1 06-25-2008 10:31 PM

RE: 7MM Remington Magnum

I think few would say somethings wrong with this cartridge, the problems of the cartridge come when its compared to other cartridges, of which many think are better than this one. I think the problem extends from it being right inbetween the .270win and .300 win mag, may claim either of these are better for one reason or another....kinda the middle child syndrome.

But its certainly a round that can get the job done, I think for hunting, 160grs is the way to go with this round, the 175gr loses its flatness, can go down as well, 140grs....something in the 140-160grs I'd choose, but when it comes to magnums I feel like it should be flinging some lead.....so 140 feels too light to me, 175 too heavy/not flat, 160grs ideal. Someone posted a while back that I believe his 7mm with 140gr barnes TSX was his pefect load....

So again no inherit problems with the 7mm rem mag, but its always going to be a comparison negative....do i want the extra kick? extra weight w/ 26" barrel needed over a .270? or If I'm going to shoot a magnum, shouldn't i get a magnum, ie .300mag guys saying if you're gonna haul the weight etc, might as well be launching a bigger bullet faster.....

So if you like the round/and rifle its going in, I wouldn't worry about it, but if wondering....the comparison questions...then thats something to consider.

HEAD0001 06-25-2008 10:37 PM

I have been loading and shooting a 7mm RM, and a 7mm WM for over 20 years. I have a friend that hunts with the RM. I have a EuroMark in the WM. I never did care much for either cartridge until I started loading the 175 grain bullet. For us the 175 grain pill shot very accurate, andhad great long range characteristics. The bullet has a great BC. And the bullet is devastating on game(Sierra's). I recommend the heavy weight bullet for the 7mm if you are going to buy one. There is minimal drop difference at short range(under 250 yards). And when shooting long range the heavy weight pills will do better(past 400 yards). Tom.

vaughnm 06-26-2008 07:17 AM

7mm RM is a great all round cartridge. I have two. Wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything in North American other than the big bears but then I wouldn't really want anything smaller than a .338 WM for those.I like the 139-160gr loads personally, depending on what I am hunting, but the 175 does carry well and packs a punch when it gets there.One of my hunting buddies took one to Africa and he said it did fantastic over there on all the plains game. Cost him a fortune for all the head mounts. The felt recoil isn't bad (and not close to the .300 WM) plus it shoots flat and packs a punch when it gets there. Ammo is available almost anywhere in the US (and most of the world) as it is almost always one of the top 4 sellers in the US every year.

Frank in the Laurels 06-26-2008 07:36 AM

I agree with all of the above, been using one for 35 years and don't have a bad word or experience to tell you about..great cartridge, more than capable of handling anything in the lower 48 and 99% of everything else. I use 140 Nosler Partition for everything..secind place and if I wanted more penetration would be X-bullets... I've shot it to 500 yards and have never had a hit animal escape..

Mr. Longbeard 06-26-2008 08:04 AM

My very first rifle that I bought with my own money was a Remington Model 700 7mm Mag... Best Damn shootinrifle I ever owned!!! Didn't like the shinny stock so I traded it for a Remington XCR 300 WM... Gun looked good but shot like !@#$... Traded that rifle for a Browning A-Bolt 7mm Mag (BOSS) BEST SHOTIN RIFLER I EVER SHOT!!! Gun will shoot factory 150gr ammo at .50 MOA all day long... Gun shoots so good sometimes I think I cant make a bad shot... Anyhow what I'm getting at... I was told that the 7mm is a very accurate round... And I'm a believer!!! If I was to by another gun it would prob be the 7mm-08;)

Get the 7mm Mag:D

Pawildman 06-26-2008 08:06 AM

I shot a 7mm RM for 20 yrs. Killed lots of deer with it. After I discovered a smaller 7mm (not supposed to recommend other cartridges) that didn't have as much recoil and was actually pleasant to shoot and very accurate, the 7 Mag stays home.

Rammer 06-26-2008 09:29 AM

The 7mm Rem Mag is probably one of the best magnums ever made. The recoil is very minimal compared to the other mags, it shoots flat, and hits with authority. I have a buddy that shoots elk at some pretty long ranges with his, and he loads 140gr Barnes TSXs up.

So far I've never found a load that my Browning A-Bolt hasn't shot very well. Last year I loaded some very very hot Barnes 120gr TSXs for deer/antelope. The most accurate load I ever made up was a 160gr Nosler Accu-Bond for an elk hunt. That load would shoot 1.25" 3 shot groups at 300 yards off my backpack.

c j 06-26-2008 10:11 AM

Don't see how you can really go wrong with a 7 mag. Plenty enough 'oomph' for just about everything without excessive recoil. Great round.

thommon 06-26-2008 01:32 PM

I've used the 7 mm rem mag since 1967. Hunted with it through out Alaska Canada and the Western United States. Deer, Bear, and Elk. 160's and primarily 175's. Very accurate and good at long range.