Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7MM Remington Magnum

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7MM Remington Magnum

I heardsome "stories" ofdeer running off with two well placedlung shots,never to be found.
One guy I trust/know very well said he lost the bestmulie of his life using his H&R 7MM.
In my experience the 7 Rem mag kills as well as a 300 win mag on big gameand on deer it is even more effective. I once shot a 6 point cull deer on the property in Alabama and hit him a little farther back with a 7 WSM , I think I had some brush deflection because I had a small hole to shoot thru to kill him, might be that the bullet keyholed. Bullet hit him ..not in the guts but just ahead of the diaphragm. Using a 150 grain powerpoint that sucker ran 200 yards. The autopsy confirmed that the lungs were jelly .Prior to that any hit with any 7mm mag and the deer went zero yards DRT. I think there was a poor trailing job on the deer mentioned above.. If one bullet never mind 2 were placed thru the lungs with that round it is dead within a very small distance.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a 7mm RM on and off formore then a fewyears now. It's a great cartridge.When I know there could or willbe a long distance shot that's my go to gun.The 7mm mag will handle anygame animal on this continent.Thereare other cartridgesas we know that will do just as well . Bottom line the 7mm mag is here to stay.It's a very popular catridge in my hunting club.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

i personaly think a 7mm wsm is your best bet,since you want a 7mm, and use winchester exp3 or accubond 150 grain.i personaly shoot a 300 wsm with winchester xp3 150 grain. awesome performance and very accurate.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7mmRM in a Sako Finnlite and have taken bull moose, caribou,pronghorn with it at ranges from 100 yds to over 400 yds. All game so far has dropped to a single shot right in thier tracks. I used a .338 win mag for years on moose and now that I carry the 7mm don't miss the big gun at all.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those that like stories, here's 7 mm mag story for you. A few years back shot a buck (dressed at 258 lbs) broadside at 180 yards with my 7 mm mag. When I dressed him out their was no heart and the top of the lungs were like burger. Here's the kicker. He ran 75-80 yards after being hit. Big deer+in rut+ shot shock= 75-80 yard run dead on his feet

Not being able to find a double lung shot deer that has been hit by a 7 mm mag does not speak to the effectiveness of the gun but to the lack of tracking ability of the hunter. If this ever happenned to me, (thoughIknow it never will), the last thing I would do is post it on Huntingnet. After the ridicule, I would have to go somewhere else to conversate about hunting and if I found somewhere as informative, I would never tell that story again. Just a perspective.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

The Downside is the 7WSM owns it.
How do you figure it 'OWNS' the Rem Mag? 125 FPS Difference?

7MM Ballistics Comparison

7mm WSM
140 grains
2.860"
3,225 fps

7mm Rem. Mag.
140 grains
3.290"
3,100 fps

300 Ballistics Comparison
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Can't go wrong with the 7 mag. It is my favorite gun I own.

As far as the Sako goes...I feel you can't go wong. I have not seen the A7 yet but I have played with the 75 and the 597 and wished they were mine. If it is anything like the other guns they build you will have a winning combo.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Antelopeto Canadian Moose I have never had a problem with my 7mm rem mag. Hits hard, lots of bullet choices to match the usage and shoots plenty flat enough for me out to 500 yards. Sure their are others that can be considered for the task but for everything in NA short of the big bears I think the 7mm rem mag is well equipped to handle the task.

As far as the deer stories my 7mm rem mags have dropped every one they have struck with a single shot, of which many dropped within sight. In fact all but 2 bull moose had more then single hits from my rem mags.In both cases the first was sufficent but where I hunt we shoot to minimize the effort required to get the moose out so the rule is keep shooting!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pahntr760

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

The Downside is the 7WSM owns it.
How do you figure it 'OWNS' the Rem Mag? 125 FPS Difference?

7MM Ballistics Comparison

7mm WSM
140 grains
2.860"
3,225 fps

7mm Rem. Mag.
140 grains
3.290"
3,100 fps

300 Ballistics Comparison
These ballistic figures are flawed, a 7mm rem mag can push a 140 gr bullet over 3300 fps.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not being able to find a double lung shot deer that has been hit by a 7 mm mag does not speak to the effectiveness of the gun but to the lack of tracking ability of the hunter.
Or it simply means that the deer was not double lunged.I have helped out on a few long tracking jobs where the shooter assured me that the shot was right through the lungs.The funny thing is ,that in every single case,the animal was not shot through both lungs.The simple fact is,that if you don't recover the animal,you can never be sure exactly where the bullet struck,or what path it took in the animal.

Quick Reply: 7MM Remington Magnum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.