Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7MM Remington Magnum

Old 06-28-2008, 08:46 AM
DM

Default RE: 7MM Remington Magnum

I heardsome "stories" ofdeer running off with two well placedlung shots,never to be found.
Glad you called it a "story" cause, if you don't find the animialthere's NO WAY you know exactly where or how it was hit.

Match the bullet to the game, and the 7 Rem. Mag. will get-R-done.

DM
Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM

If I could only have one rifle it would be the 7MM.There are so many bullets that can be hand loaded for groundhogs to bears.The 7MM will take any of the game, with one shot kills.My dad has been shooting a remington 7MM made in the late 60's.For whitetails in the thick timber he uses a 139gr. round nose.For field shooting he shoots a 139gr. boattail.I shoot a TC encore in the 7MM.We have killed bear,elk,mule deer,whitetail,pronghorn,coyotes and groundhogs all with one shot kills.My TC is sighted in for 400 yds and is soda can deadly at that range.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a fan of 140 TSX's at around 3300 in the 7. They shoot flatter and penetrate deeper then my buddy's 180 NP's out of the 300 mags. I'm loading the TTSX now and they've been even more accurate in my rigs.

Brett
Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

"My TC is sighted in for 400 yds and is soda can deadly at that range."

Wow, you'll be runnin 9" or 10" high at 200-225yds with a 400yd zero. I guess to each his own.

Brett
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

Thanks guys for the votes of confidence; as I have thought long and hard about this decision.

I heardsome "stories" ofdeer running off with two well placedlung shots,never to be found.
One guy I trust/know very well said he lost the bestmulie of his life using his H&R 7MM.
BTW -this guyloves to shoot groung squirrels(aim small, miss small)and is a VERY good shot (andnot a bull****er).

What about that 7MM RM in the new Sako A7 ????

I appreciate it.
Goodness, I kill most deer with a bow, and a very slow one at that, and I am frightened to know there are deer in the woods somewhere that take a a bullet (140gr most likely kicking at 3000fps) thru the vitals and never be found. I have hunted Ky, WV, MD,Oh, Va, Pa, TN, Newfoundland, and others, and glad to know that these indestructable deer, boarand moosedo not live in these states.

Serously, however, there will always be stories. Always. But if anyone hits a deer thru the vitals with a corelok even, there is no excuse not to find them with anything from a 243-30-06 to your more powerful 7mm rem mag.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed LOTS of deer with the 7mm Mag. It's just really hard for me to swallow a story about a deer...and I don't care how large......... soaking up two lung shots and not being found IMMEDIATELY....the laws of shock and suffocation in a case like this simply have to prevail.....Just my opinion...
Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

+1
Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

You could do a lot worse than the 7mm RM as a long range big game cartridge. I personally do not own one and I could suggest something else which I would consider better - but the margin of difference would be minimal if you consider power, recoil, etc.
If this is your cartridge of choice - I don't think you will be disappointed with its performance.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

Thanks guys for the votes of confidence; as I have thought long and hard about this decision.

One guy I trust/know very well said he lost the bestmulie of his life using his H&R 7MM.
BTW -this guyloves to shoot groung squirrels(aim small, miss small)and is a VERY good shot (andnot a bull****er).

What about that 7MM RM in the new Sako A7 ????

I appreciate it.
What does the guy shoot those ground squirrels with? He probably shoots with his eyes open when he's using his .223 varmint rifle, but closes them up tight as a drum when he brings out the heavy heat... There's no way on God's green Earth that a deer with two in the boiler room from a 7 Mag is going to go very far. So, I'm guessing that pretty much every guy who says he hit a deer in the lungs with a 7 Mag, but lost it, went through the following procedure: He aimed, he anticipated the recoil, he shut his eyes, he squeezed the trigger, and... he missed.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I've hunted with the o'l 7mm for a few years now. there is no deer on earth that could walk very far with a double lung shot. I took a bad shot on a doe a few years back and dropped her. A 35 pound bow would drop a deer after several yards if it hit the lungs....But I do love hunting storys

Quick Reply: 7MM Remington Magnum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.