HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Browning BAR lightweight stalker vs. shorttrac stalker (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/248086-browning-bar-lightweight-stalker-vs-shorttrac-stalker.html)

2006HighSierra 06-02-2008 05:24 PM

Browning BAR lightweight stalker vs. shorttrac stalker

Just wonderiing what you think of these two in comparison and why some people consider the lightweight to be a better rifle. I think the ergonomics of the shorttrac are very nice but is there any problems with it vs. the lightweight.

bigcountry 06-03-2008 05:58 AM

RE: Browning BAR lightweight stalker vs. shorttrac stalker

I think you can only get the lightwieght in tupperware stock. For me, there is only one BAR, and thats the safari steel reciever version. I won't own a short or longtrac myself.

oldelkhunter 06-03-2008 08:46 AM

I think you can only get the lightwieght in tupperware stock. For me, there is only one BAR, and thats the safari steel reciever version. I won't own a short or longtrac myself.
it's actually a little better then tupperware but I agree on the steel receiver part. Lets not forget that the triggerguard on the short/long is plastic as opposed to metal as well. The gun was a halfwit rusheddesign so they could have something modern looking like the Benelli r1.

bigcountry 06-03-2008 10:02 AM

I don't know what browning was thinking with this one. Really I don't. If they discontinue the safari version, they are just dumb.

I look back at the auto-5's in the 90's and wish I bought up 25 of em. Wonder if I should be buying more safaris? And while I am at it, buy up every freakin A-Bolt sluggun I can get my hands on.

Everything really nice, they seem to discontinue???

And while I am wishing, I wished I bought up a few hundred acres in Baltimore/DC corredoor and sold it two years ago. Oh yea, last one, don't marry that girl in 1994.

oldelkhunter 06-03-2008 02:13 PM

I wish I had bought up Florida real estate in the 80's and sold it off in 2005 . I would probably typing this from my remote lodge deep in the Rockies?

ANyway I would take a bad Lightweight STalker over any short/long trac POS any day any way.

salukipv1 06-03-2008 07:02 PM

I think back when I bought my BAR there was only 1(least at the time it seemed that way to me).....now I rechecked and I think the safari is the closest to what I have, but now there are like 9 versions or something, what's the original BAR?

MagnumMan308 06-03-2008 08:49 PM

The original BAR is the BAR Mark 1. I've got one in .30-06. They have steel recievers, and are very similar to the current safaris with 2 major differences that I can think of. There was no bolt release, you must drop the floorplate to close the bolt on an empty magazine. Also, the trigger group did not use drift pins, it was dovetailed into the reciever. It made for a very slick looking package, and I like mine, but I think the MkII safaris are more practical.

As for the longtracs and shorttracs, dont get me started. I cannot stand their eurotrash styling, talk about ruining a classic. I too wonder if right not isnt for the BAR safari what 1995 was for the A-5. Maybe it is the time to get one or 2 just for an investment, the shorttrac writing is on the wall.