Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 New rifle...breaking-in the barrel? >

New rifle...breaking-in the barrel?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New rifle...breaking-in the barrel?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: New rifle...breaking-in the barrel?

I bet ya I know who that guy is. Thats Larry who used to post on accurate reloading. I have actually traded actions with that guy before. Its been almost 10 years ago.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM

Larry is good people.......
Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Larry is good people.......
I haven't seen him post on AR anymore. The guy liked rifles no doubt. He bought and sold quite a bit.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 AM

Anybody used the Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing System? I have read a couple of reviews on it and was thinking about using it to break in my new barrel but wondered if someone had used it and what results they had.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: vaughnm

Anybody used the Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing System? I have read a couple of reviews on it and was thinking about using it to break in my new barrel but wondered if someone had used it and what results they had.
I did and it destroyed a factory barrel. Viewed it with a hawkeye borescope before and after, and it rounded off the rifling. It was smoother. Gun went from a solid 0.5-1MOA gun to a 1.5-2MOA gun. It was just so rough and hard to clean before.

I still have set of the bullets if want to buy.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: vaughnm

I did and it destroyed a factory barrel. Viewed it with a hawkeye borescope before and after, and it rounded off the rifling. It was smoother. Gun went from a solid 0.5-1MOA gun to a 1.5-2MOA gun. It was just so rough and hard to clean before.

I still have set of the bullets if want to buy.
Thanks for the heads up. Think I will pass.Guess I'll go the old fashioned route.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm weird but since lower quality (factory) barrels are rougher,I go overboard on cleaning. My method is to clean between every shot for the 1st 10-20 rounds,and after that,I clean every 2-3 rounds for a box of ammo,depending on individual bore condition. This of course is after hand lapping the bore. It has proved the best way to break in barrels from MY experience as it burmishes the bore without embedding bullet jacket particules in the bore surface.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:27 PM
bigcountry

Hey Niel, when you hand lap, do you use a slug? I used a mop before just on the throat.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah-I use a lead slug. That way,I can feel the slightest burr or "tight" spot. NO WAY do I reccomend fire-lapping,I've seen too many barrels ruint due to firelapping. Most times it'll work ok but I clearly remember changing NEW barrels where someoneate out the throat and bore on an otherwise perfectly good barrel.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Preparring to get serious with a new barrel this weekend, and look forward to good results...

Having only shot the new barrel 9 rounds to confirm it's worth/potential it was expedited to my 'smith for an AI punch, then out to Ultra Coatings in Kansas for a coat of Matte Black Cerekote. Doug Burche was gracious enough to send a bottle of UBC, Ultra Bore Coat, back with my barreled action as I wanted to try coating this one myself. Previous work from Doug in the past, in the same manner, was top notch...but I wanted to see it donefor myself.

Knowing the tube is a good onestacks the odds in my favor, and the end result of a UBC treatment will provide a bore that willhold little if anyfouling, and as an end result it will maintain accuracy longer, with less cleaning needed, and shorter cleaning sessions.

So this is my mantra of breaking in a new barrel....

It starts with an absolute thorough cleaning. Since it was only fired a few times by me, and proofed by my 'smith, it will not be difficult to clean absolutely. Along with the UBC comes a preparatorycleaning regimen devised by Gun WriterJohn Barsness. This involves patching the bore outwith Rubbing Alcohol and Hoppe's #9. The next step is an intense cleaning with JB bore paste, followed up with anotherflushing of rubbing alcohol, and finallybeating it up pretty good with your choice of copper solvent.

The bore is then "degreased" with the included UBC bore degreaser and the UBC is applied per Doug's instructions.

The main function of UBC is toreduce and/or eliminate copper fouling. It will not make a bad bore shoot better, but it will make any bore clean easier and foul less...which will lend to better accuracy by default.

After the proper UBC bore treatment I expect my barrel to be "broken in"per my requirements and will engage in the first 100 rounds of fireforming loads, some of which will no doubt eventually put the hurt on some woodchucks with the 87 V Max's I'm going to use.

During that first100 rounds of fireforming I expect to swab the bore out a few times and per past experience with UBC, I don't expect to have any fouling issues. 'Twould suprise me much if I did.........

Quick Reply: New rifle...breaking-in the barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.