HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Sako rifles - any good ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/241756-sako-rifles-any-good.html)

Sheridan 04-10-2008 01:10 PM

Sako rifles - any good ?

I am considering buying a Sako bolt action rifle in 7MM Rem.Mag, in particular the new A7 model.
What can you tell me about the quality of the Sako rifles as a whole and specifically the new A7?
I have a problem with this decision because I always prefer to buy American products.
Thank you in advance for all of your expertise and advise!!!

oldelkhunter 04-10-2008 01:58 PM

RE: Sako rifles - any good ?

I don't consider the A7 a Sako but it is still better then anything made here right now.

bugsNbows 04-10-2008 03:25 PM

Sako's are great, especially the 75's. There have been numerous (less than flattering) discussions on here regarding the A-7. I believe I'd take an 85 over the A-7. You can still find decently priced 75's around ...like on Gunbroker. With that said, you may wish to save up more and look at the Coopers. All I can say is holy cow. Puts my Kimber to shame. They are awesome. Made right here in the good ole' USA too. Good luck.

GRIZZLYMAN 04-11-2008 11:04 AM

I don't know about the current Sakos, but I have a L691 which was made in the early 90's. Good trigger, smooth action, rugged, and on a bad day can put 3 rounds inside .75" at 100 yards. On a good day, I have shot groups that were .25" center to center. It is the best rifle that I have owned in thirty five years and it would be the last gun I would give up/sell in my collection.

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-11-2008 01:32 PM

I have a SAKO Model "HUNTER" in .30-06, great rifle

Pioneer2 04-12-2008 07:33 AM

The Finn's are quality and accuracy nuts on a good day.HavingRussia for a neighbour keeps the general population interested in shooting.During the 105 day war between 750,000 - 1,000,000 Soviet's didn't make it home for a kill ratio of 40-1 in favour of the Finn's.One Finn sniper shot over 500 Russians with an iron sighted model 28 Mosin Nagant. Some out to 600 meters! Harold

Briman 04-12-2008 09:14 AM

One Finn sniper shot over 500 Russians with an iron sighted model 28 Mosin Nagant. Some out to 600 meters! Harold
And there's a very high probability that the riflewas made by Sako:D

Resqrick 04-13-2008 12:07 AM

Myself I would save a few bucks and get a Tikka. Sako are by far my favorate Rifles but I bought a new Tikka and WoW. Save few hundred and get better optics IMO. But all the guys that have responded above have good ideas. Just trying to help ya have more options. :)

oldelkhunter 04-13-2008 09:31 AM

After looking at 2 A7's yesterday at my dealer I am not impressed. They look worse in person.

My advice buy a 75 or an 85 if you can if not just buy a Tikka. The only difference between the A7 and the Tikka is the 75 receiver on the A7.

Pioneer2 04-13-2008 09:39 AM

Sako did rebarrel the Mosin Nagants and they are marked SKY......................Harold