Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.22 choice

Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Default .22 choice

I am looking to buy a new .22 because my current one wont hold groups smaller than 4 inches at 50 yds
I am stuck as to which to pick. I am looking for a gun around 5-6 lbs but is still very accurate (.5 to 1 in. groups at 50 yds) I have narrowed it down to the savage mark II, remington 504, or a cz 452. can anyone help me out. make reccomendations or give advice. anything is much appreciated. thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 choice

Have you tried to shoot different ammo? I have a little 10/22 that is not known for accuracy, I put a custom barrell, stock and trigger and I shoot 1 in. groups at 100 yds. given the wind is not bad. I also am shooting match grade ammo, it would not shoot good at all with regular old 22 bullets. You might want to try changing ammo first and then the gun if your not happy.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

But on the other hand it is always nice to have another gun in the rack. Any of the three you list should shoot good, the CZ has a great reputation, the Rem 504 should also be a good shooter and Savage has a reputation for accuracy as well. The CZ and Rem are much nicer finnished guns and a bit more expensive than the Savage. If it were me and money was not a factor I think I would go with the CZ or Remington. The Savage clips are not as good as the others, not that they don't feed, its the way they attach to the gun, the Savage has a protruding bar that the clip slides into, Marlin uses a similar system, just a little less refined than the others. Try looking around over at www.rimfirecentral.com
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a really nice rifle and can afford it-you'll NEVER get a better shooter and finely built bolt rifle than a browning T-bolt!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're mostly concerned about functionality and accuracy, I'd go with the Savage Mark II. I have one - an absolute tack driver with most loads. It's not the prettiest rifle, and goatbrother's comment about the clips is correct - they're kind of flimsy and not the best design. However, it's the most accurate .22 I've ever had (less than 1" groups at 50 yards with several different types of ammo) not to mention it is very reasonably priced.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Before I buy another 22, unless you really want another one and I see no problem with that, I'd give your old one a good cleaning. You may have some significant fouling in your bore.Buy yourself some copper/lead remover like Hoppe's Elite metal remover and a 22 cal bore brush and scrub that bore good then run some patches through it. Then by yourself several different brands of ammo, Win, Rem, Eley etc. and shoot it off a solid rest and see which ones shoot the best and if your groups tightened up from the cleaning.
If not, then you may consider trading it in on one of the rifles you have your eye on. Like the previous posts stated the CZ is probably the nicest. I have no experience with the accuracy of these rifles. The Savage's are usually good shooters. My Mark II shoots great. The Remington, I don't know about. I've been skeptical of Rems quality lately with their rifles. I know they have their following and I was one of them. All my rifles used to be Rems except for maybe one or two. Now, I only have 3 and these are old ones when they didn't seem to cut as many corners. My others have been replaced with Savage, Ruger and Browning rifles.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

The Remington looks like the same gun Charles Daily used to import, made by the same company that made the Mark X Mauser, I think, Checoslavokia maybe. A good gun from what I've read. Go over to www.rimfirecentral.com there is everything you ever wanted to know about rimfires over there.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 AM

Of the two you mentioned, the CZ is a higher quality and will most likely be more accurate.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the "guns" area here and you'll find more than enough current discussion on which .22lr long gun to buy. Seems its a major and tough decision trned at the moment.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 AM

All I ever used WAS A BOLT ACTION MARLIN AND IT ALWAYS GOT THE JOB DONE.

I ALSO HAD A SINGLE SHOT SAVAGE STEVENS .22 WHEN I WAS A KID WITH OPEN SIGHTS THAT WILL SHOOT 1/4 MOA AT 50 YARDS ALL DAY LONG.

NEW ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER AND YOU CAN'T SEND TO CHEKSLOVAKIA FOR YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY WHEN YOU GET OLD. ALWAYS BUY AMERICAN.

Quick Reply: .22 choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.