Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.375 Ruger m77

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Default .375 Ruger m77

Anyone have the new ruger .375? Im considering getting this gun for africa. What are the pros/cons vs. the .375 h&h
thanks
-Deric
Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 AM

Default RE: .375 Ruger m77

The danger of new things like this is if you get to Africa and somehow your ammunition doesn't make it with you, you'll end up throwing rocks. Whereas if you had say the traditional 375HH, you can always buy ammo as needed and be assured from past experiences that it will work wonderfully well. I think ultimately this new cartridge will be received with a big yawn by the shooting world just as many similar cartridges before it.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

The danger of new things like this is if you get to Africa and somehow your ammunition doesn't make it with you, you'll end up throwing rocks. Whereas if you had say the traditional 375HH, you can always buy ammo as needed and be assured from past experiences that it will work wonderfully well. I think ultimately this new cartridge will be received with a big yawn by the shooting world just as many similar cartridges before it.

I agree with pavo on the ammunition side, but as far as how it will be received its acctually been received rather well. Initially, all the gun writers and big wigs scoffed at something listed as an "improvement" to the 375 H&H. Why mess with 100 years worth of damn near perfection? Craig Boddington said the same thing... he acctually wanted to see the 375 Ruger fall behind in testing and shoot poorly, just because he is such a fan of the H&H. But when he shot it, he changed his mind. And openly admitted his initial bias to boot.

Not that I think anyone should sell their collections to buy something Craig Boddington endorses... but the man has seen just about everything with rifles, and if I get to go to Africa hunt just 3% of the amount he gets to, I'll die a very happy man.

I've never been a big fan of Ruger rifles. I do like the No. 1s... but the Hawkeyes have started to change my opinion... controlled round feed, solid actions... standard length and equal or just a smidge over the power of a 375 H&H.... I gotta be honest I kinda like it.

There isn't a huge market for .375s in the US. Or anywhere for that matter. Huge is a relative term. There is certainly a market for it... but you won't see the .375 Ruger taking over the 30/06 as king of sporting rifles.... not by a long stretch. Market is definately there though. I think you'll end up seeing this one stick around, especially since it will be so easy to chamber a standard action receiver in the cartridge. If all a rifle maker has to do is ream out a barrel to offer another cartridge... its a lot more simple that retooling.

I'm not quite as sure about the 300 and 338 RCMs though.... I think those may have been better left to the wildcat crowd to play with.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check with your PH (guide) and see what he thinks. Also be good to check out some forums dealing specifically with such firearm/hunting needs for Africa. That said, the .375 Ruger is an outstanding cartridge but as said, if by some chance you get seperated from your ammo, you're less liekly to find this new cartridge where as the more tradtional cartridges would - I think - be quite available there.

Check here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/20/page/1
Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a big fan bob! yet to own one though, haha so all I can do is tell you what ive read, know etc...

Personally I love the idea of a .375 in a shorter action, and an extra 100fps or so compared to the H&H. Makes it in my sense more of a longe range weapon for such as moose, brown bear, big stuff, even elk, esp with 270gr or similar.

Some guys claim 2400fps is the magic speed for african big/dangerous game. On lion more speed I think is a good thing vs. heavy, thoug a combo of the two is ideal. I like that its a beltless cartridge too. Not crazy about any of the ruger rifles they have it in so far, but a custom or hopefully a ruger to come would be nice or other manufactuers.

People speak of lost ammo/availibility overseas, and certainly the h&h will be more accessible, but I think if you lose the gun/bag you lose your ammo, pack the 2 together. Though I think the ruger WILL become a success. Many guys are excited for it, and even more excited I am for a .416 ruger to come, no competition in this caliber if you ask me.

Also you can get a shorter rifle vs. the h&h then I would think. Really its something to consider. Can always get a .458 Lott and worry about a .375 later....once the masses have spoke.

btw that extra 100fps I really do like on those 300gr bullets for the dangerous stuff. gives that .375 a tad more energy, and a flatter shooting 270gr or 300gr on some other big stuff could be nice. eland etc...

Though you almost feel a need to own a .375 H&H, though I don't own a .30-06, I have the .270 and do quite find without it.

biggest so far is the .340 wby, though I'm certain to own a .458 lott in the future, not sure which .375 or .416 I'd get. maybe a .375h&h and a .416 ruger eventually.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing to consider with loss of ammunition is that your ammunition will likely be packed with all the rest of your luggage. If you lose your ammo, you've lost your luggage and effects as well. Personally, I'd be more concerned about my medication than my ammuntion. Any reputable safari firm is going to have a rifle you can borrow in a pinch... sure its not your own... but I'd rather use a borrowed rifle than a borrowed pair of underbritches and second hand boots my feet aren't used to.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

I am not sure it doesanything better than the 375 H&H. Without any track record to stand behind I would stay with the H&H. Hate to find out it does not feed well in the field, and your bullet selection will be limited. With the H&H you can get production loads from flat shooting 3100 FPS 235 Grain TSX bullets to 2450 FPS 350 grain Woodleigh Weldcore sledghammers. That is range of loads that you will probably not find in the Ruger.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I've got the 375 H&H and like it a lot, plenty of power, don't kick much, very nice.
That said....
If I was buying from scratch I would consider the 375 Ruger cartridge; however,
I would not want it in a Ruger Rifle, a nice M-70 maybebut not a Ruger.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm waiting for the .416 Ruger, I think I'll def buy that round! but ya the .375 ruger is going up against if not the most popular round ever, the 2nd most popular. It does give you a shorter action etc.....beltless, and as I recall an extra 100fps or so. IMO its a better round than the h&h but the h&h is almost 100yds old! and very popular, and the ruger is only slightly better, though I do like it, certainly its the new #2 .375 cartridge, shorter action....does give you some different qualities.....if the ruger came out first, there would have been no need for the h&h.....and the .378wby I think isnt raelly around anymore? also the .375 RUM gave you a 200fps more....but again same length etc...so all you gained was velocity....which is nice, but doesnt seperate it other than with velocity, the ruger is a tad faster and a shorter round.....

I think if any new .375 is here to stay its this one over the others.....

but get the .416 ruger if/when it comesout, it has to though, talk about no competition.....in a category. If we were talking .416 ruger vs......other .416's id say hands down, get it! not even a question!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the fact the 375 ruger can be built using a 3006 actioned rifle willhelp ensure its survival. Everything I have heard has been possitive, most say a little better ballistics can be obtained but no one I have seenclaims its better then the H&H.It compares well to the storied brother and better then some of the other 375 previous versions. However the fact it uses a standard long action it can be made lighter which has both good (lighter/shorter/quicker handling) and bad sides (more powder cap. coupled with the lighter setups on the good side of things = + recoil). Recoil at this level become moot anyway, expect it to push back! These aren't bench rifles they are tools and are best treated as such. I use to think I needed to be straddling a bench to be effective, which is fine with moderate recoilers but when the gun starts to hit stout levels, I split the time between bench and field positions. JMO but no need to punish yourself or develop flinches, load develop, fine tune your POI and boosting your confidence then get off the bench if the recoil level is higher then you find tolerable.

I'm not a ruger firearm fan either. Still must give Ruger cudosfor not leaving out the southpaws - LH avail.in the 375rugerafrican hawkeye model. I may have to check my previous thoughts at the door and give the Hawkeye/375 ruger a look?? Africa ready but until that day comes should work as a elk and moose rifle....hum.[8D]

Quick Reply: .375 Ruger m77

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.