HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Optics For Upland shotguns????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/234323-optics-upland-shotguns.html)

2footroper 02-24-2008 04:28 PM

Optics For Upland shotguns?????

Hey Ya'll
I have a 20ga Benelli M 1 w/ a 24" rifled barrel I use for deer hunting. It has a Weaver rail on it with a Nikon 4 to 12. This gun is awesome on whitetail. I also havea seperate 26" barrel with all the chokes for use on upland game. My problem is I hate taking the rail and scope off every year then scramble to get it sighted back in come deer season.
Has anyone put an optical lens type sight on a shotgun to use for upland game? I have looked at a bunch of them and I'm leaning tward an EOTeck 511 or something similar. The scope rings I am using are quick attach. I would like to be able to take it off and drop the other devise on and go. Any thoughts?

salukipv1 02-24-2008 04:53 PM

RE: Optics For Upland shotguns?????

ok, its official , everyone has gone optic crazy! it was bad enough when turkey guns started having scopes, but now upland shotguns with scopes? maybe one day when I'm "grandpa's crazy" for saying id never use a scope on a turkey gun or upland shotgun.

Seriously, you'll never talk me into a scope for either of these purposes. Barring some eye problem, but lets remember you point a shotgun, and you aim a rifle......we dont need crosshairs at 30yds on a turkey.

2footroper 02-24-2008 05:10 PM

Your missing the point. I use this gun for deer hunting and have dropped deer at 150 yards using this setup. I'm not using a scope for upland hunting! I am looking for a single lens optic so I don't have to remove the rail for bird hunting.

bigbulls 02-24-2008 05:24 PM

http://burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html

http://burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

2footroper 02-24-2008 07:51 PM

Bigbulls,
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I'm talking about.

SwampCollie 02-24-2008 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Seriously, you'll never talk me into a scope for either of these purposes. Barring some eye problem, but lets remember you point a shotgun, and you aim a rifle......we dont need crosshairs at 30yds on a turkey.

Your mad man! Sure you don't need them... but you don't point a shotgun when you shoot a turkey either.... you do in fact aim it. Most of the better turkey guns of today shoot patterns at 30 yards the size of a basketball. I'll put it this way, I've shot turkeys with beads, red dots, scopes, fiber optics and one with a holo-sight, and I am still using a 2-7x32 left on 2x for longbeards.

2foot, I've used holosights, which are a lot like those speed dots. I've messed around with them but never have shot anything other than two longbeards in Mississippi. I have heard of it being done, and remember some gun writer gabbing about it on TV when they first came out some 8 or 9 years ago now. I'd think that tip off/removable scope rings on your slug scope and nothing at all would be about as good. I would at least give it a try on some clays or if you have a white goose season (and were so inclined to try a 20 bore) to see just how much that rail gets in the way. Otherwise you might have a good excuse to buy another gun. thats probably why Benelli doesn't make a cantelievered barrel for it.

2footroper 02-25-2008 05:46 AM

Swamp,
I have a Benelli SBE II, a BPS 12ga 3-1/2, & a BPS 10ga.:D Also a 410 pump for varments in the barn.If I buy another long gun I'll need a bigger gun safe. I also have too many rifles to list. I just enjoy shooting this little 20 for doves quail and skeet. The rail sits just a little too high and blocks the rib and bead preventing proper cheek weld.

SwampCollie 02-25-2008 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 2footroper

Swamp,
I have a Benelli SBE II, a BPS 12ga 3-1/2, & a BPS 10ga.:D Also a 410 pump for varments in the barn.If I buy another long gun I'll need a bigger gun safe. I also have too many rifles to list. I just enjoy shooting this little 20 for doves quail and skeet. The rail sits just a little too high and blocks the rib and bead preventing proper cheek weld.

I figured that might be the problem. My turkey gun is the same way. Can't even see the FO sights with the rail on. FO sights on the 835 never would come down enough anyway... part of the reason I put the scope on in the 1st place. But its just a turkey gun anyhow.

How'd the waterfowl season end up for you?

2footroper 02-26-2008 07:31 AM

It was Slow for the most part until the end of the year. The floods we had in Aug. Wiped out all of our corn, beans, & millet so we weren't holding any birds. The last two weekends were good though for ducks. We did smack the Geese though.
I ended up getting an ATN sight for the 20ga. It looks like it will work fine. I should have it in a day or so.
How did your waterfowl season turn out?