HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Breaking in a new rifle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/231915-breaking-new-rifle.html)

Sheridan 02-11-2008 12:04 PM

Breaking in a new rifle?

Is there a "right" way to break in a new rifle barrel?

FA 02-11-2008 12:26 PM

RE: Breaking in a new rifle?

Clean the barrel before you shoot it, then about every 25 rounds or so, clean the barrel again. I would say around a rounds it should be starting to break-in.

Enjoy

okgobbler 02-11-2008 12:44 PM

Some will recommend to clean every shot for the 1st ten. then every 3rd shot for about 30 shots. then every 5th shot for a while. On my last barrel break in I cleaned it every shot for about 5-6 shots (sighting in), then I cleaned it every 3rd, when I was testing 3 shot groups of different loads. Seemed to work out ok for me, but can be quite tedious.

Rammer 02-11-2008 01:16 PM

I clean the bore thoroughly before I fire it for the first time. Then I don't clean it until the groups start to open up. This can be in 100rds or 1000rds. :D

JeffS 02-11-2008 02:26 PM

Clean it when you get the rifle then g out and shoot it and enjoy it. It is not nescessary to clean them every 3rd shot or anything if you are not doing benchrest competition.

Retaks 02-11-2008 02:35 PM

I dont break mine in any special way. I just clean it when i get it then whowever many rounds i shoot at the range i will clean it after that. My 300 WSM has 5 rouds through it and has been cleaned 3 times. My 204 Ruger has had anywhere from 3 rounds to 60+ rounds between cleaning. AS long as accuracy dosnt open up to much i dont worry about it.

maineac 02-11-2008 02:58 PM

Any one try the "Tubb final finish bullets"? From the looks in the catalog the bullets have different grits (for lack of a better term) to sooth out any impregections fromteh rifling process.

SwampCollie 02-11-2008 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: maineac

Any one try the "Tubb final finish bullets"? From the looks in the catalog the bullets have different grits (for lack of a better term) to sooth out any impregections fromteh rifling process.

Snake oil.

Benchrest shooters tend to be the biggest fans of breaking in a barrel. To be honest, I have tried everything from 1x5, 3x5, 5x3... to 1x15, 3x5, 1x3.... and even nothing at all.... I have never noticed accuracy get better in a rifle until I find a load that it likes.... that takes some time and some shooting. But in my experience, anything less than 100 rounds isn't going to do much unless you shoot it with a super hot barrel. I don't fool with breaking in barrels anymore. Ammunition is too expensive, my time is worth more than that to me, and I don't think it does anything except give you an excuse to shoot.

Rammer 02-11-2008 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: maineac

Snake oil.

Benchrest shooters tend to be the biggest fans of breaking in a barrel. To be honest, I have tried everything from 1x5, 3x5, 5x3... to 1x15, 3x5, 1x3.... and even nothing at all.... I have never noticed accuracy get better in a rifle until I find a load that it likes.... that takes some time and some shooting. But in my experience, anything less than 100 rounds isn't going to do much unless you shoot it with a super hot barrel. I don't fool with breaking in barrels anymore. Ammunition is too expensive, my time is worth more than that to me, and I don't think it does anything except give you an excuse to shoot.
I'm with ya all the way! These ammo/reloading prices have gotten nuts the last few years. I find myself doing alot less shooting than I have ever done.

Sheridan 02-11-2008 05:36 PM

"Breaking-in" a barrel is bull.......?
Sotry different (for me factory) ammountil you find anaccurate load??
What you are telling me is either you got a "shooter" or not???

One of you please reply with a short list of recommended factory loads(hopefully from past experience).
I have a Remington Model 700 SPS DM .243 Win 26" barrel.
I already had a trigger job done and the barrel lapped.

Retaks 02-11-2008 05:53 PM

Ive used Winchester Ballistic Silvetips with good groups but the coated bullets are a pain to clean up after shooting. I forget what grain they were. I used them for deer. I think they were 110gr.

bronko22000 02-11-2008 06:43 PM

This has been posted several times. There are those that say it isn't necessary and some, me included, say you should 'break in' a new barrel/rifle. There are different methods including the clean after each shot for the first 10 rounds, then after each 3 shots for the next 30 or so. Now for the why. Most people believe that this is done to improve accuracy. Not true - at least not immediately. The purpose of breaking in is to remove the minute burrs in the rifling and allow for easier cleaning in the future due to less fouling accumulation. That is where the accuracy factor comes in. After years of shooting (normal shooter shooting a box of ammo a year), even after cleaning after each session, fouling can build up which can deteriorate accuracy. This would be especially true for those old timers who think that running a patch of Hoppes #9, a couple dry patches and then an oiled patch down the bore is all that is required to clean it.
So its your investment - if you don't want to go through the trouble of breaking in your new barrel so be it. IMO the hassle in the beginning is worth it in the long run.

Retaks 02-11-2008 07:18 PM

I clean mine good after each time its shot. I keep running patches of hoppes no9 down the bore until they come out clean then i use some copper remover if i have she a bunch of rounds.

jeepkid 02-11-2008 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Sheridan

"Breaking-in" a barrel is bull.......?
Sotry different (for me factory) ammountil you find anaccurate load??
What you are telling me is either you got a "shooter" or not???

One of you please reply with a short list of recommended factory loads(hopefully from past experience).
I have a Remington Model 700 SPS DM .243 Win 26" barrel.
I already had a trigger job done and the barrel lapped.

Since you already had the barrel lapped, there is really no reason to do a "break-in", they do the same thing. Just shoot it, make sure it doesn't get hot and then clean it every time after you shoot it. ;)

Sheridan 02-11-2008 08:26 PM

I'm shooting 3 and now 5groups ofHornady's 75 grain V max loads from a cold barrel andthen running a bore snake with Butch's gun oil through the barrel 3 to 5 times.
After each group the barrel is hot and the groups at 100 yards are 2" apart and thegroups at 200 yards are 3" apart.
I am newto rifle shooting as I previouslydid all my hunting with shotguns.
Does this seemnormal and I just suck (and need more practice) or what??

Concerned; Rammer/Jeepkid Help

jeepkid 02-11-2008 08:44 PM

Make sure you have a VERY solid rest if you want really tight groups. Thats not too bad for a new shooter, I would expect better out of the rifle. Let someone else shoot it and see how it does. Also, maybe try shooting 10 or 20 before cleaning, some rifles shoot best a little dirty.

Rammer 02-11-2008 08:50 PM

My Remington 700 243 shot the 75gr VMaxs fairly well, yours might not like them. Its actually been a few years since I've shot my 700. I might hafta load 10 of the Vmaxs up an go do some bangin now.

For now, I'd work on your breathing an trigger control. The rest will come with practice.

I also never let a rifle barrel get overly warm. I shoot 3 shot groups mainly, I'll shoot the group. Walk down range to my target, while leaving the action open on the rifle to cool. Then I take my time getting back, and if I am shooting more than 1 rifle, I'll shoot that rifle next and give the other plenty of time to cool off. When I find my load, I then cold bore sight in my rifle. I shoot one shot, and let the gun cool for a good 10 minutes, then shoot my 2nd shot, and so on.

salukipv1 02-11-2008 09:26 PM

I saw on a hunting show that stated a barrel will be broken in after about 200 rounds, so from 0-200 groupls should get better, then after somepoint maybe 2000 rounds itll get worse. But I'm not sure, I think jarret rifles say they'll shoot the best from day 1. All I can suggest is spacing shots, letting the barrel cool, or at least not overheat, don't just blast 5 rounds in 30 seconds. I read somewhere that after 3 quick shots of a .257 wby, water will boil off the barrel. heat is what will really increase wear/ ruin a barrel. keep it clean, but I don't think you need to go overboard, just after each day of shooting?

SwampCollie 02-11-2008 10:09 PM

I'm shooting 3 and now 5 groups of Hornady's 75 grain V max loads from a cold barrel and then running a bore snake with Butch's gun oil through the barrel 3 to 5 times.
After each group the barrel is hot and the groups at 100 yards are 2" apart and the groups at 200 yards are 3" apart.
I am new to rifle shooting as I previously did all my hunting with shotguns.
Does this seem normal and I just suck (and need more practice) or what??

Concerned; Rammer/Jeepkid Help

A three shot group should take you an hour if its cold outside and you are letting the barrel cool properly. In the summer it can take three hours.

Honestly, all you are doing is decreasing the life of your barrel. As bronko said... it is your investment. And even he, who is a barrel break in believer, said that breaking it in has no immediate effect on accuracy. If you shoot your rifle normally, and clean it regularly, it will be "broken in" just the same.

It sounds to me like you are not letting the barrel cool enough. Your gun should be capable of better than 2" groups at 100 yards... I'll put it this way, if its not under 1.5" then its going back to the factory. Simple fact is that not all guns are going to shoot under 1", especially with factory ammo. You can spend a lot of time and money and blood pressure points trying to find a load for an innaccurate rifle to make it accurate. 2" ain't bad... you just need to find a load it likes. And let the barrel cool. I'm not worried about a 3 shot group that will hide under a quarter... I'm worried about firing a shot at 5 pm... then coming out at 5pm again the next day and cutting the same hole as yesterday.

The more you shoot that gun with a hot barrel, the shorter your barrel life will be. I've never worn out a gun... and honestly I don't think I know a person who has a hunting rifle that has worn one out.

oldelkhunter 02-12-2008 07:14 AM

Since you already had the barrel lapped, there is really no reason to do a "break-in", they do the same thing. Just shoot it, make sure it doesn't get hot and then clean it every time after you shoot it. ;)

Just about every custom barrel maker out there recommends some sort of breakin.

Sheridan 02-12-2008 11:43 AM

As always you are very kind to be so forthright with your knowledge and experience.
I like the idea of sliding in a spent round every once in a while to seeI am flinching.
As a rule I go by myself, but doesn't mean I can't get someone to go with me one daytoload therounds for me and watch my trigger squeeze.
Boy, you know what they say about opinions.....I also post onNorth American Hunting Cluband same thing there.......yes, no, definately, definately not, maybe, sometimes????
I'm going again this Saturday and will report back; hopefully this time with tighter groups (steady rest, control breathing, 3-5second max aimingtime with a steadysqueeze).
Thanks again

Pawildman 02-12-2008 11:53 AM

Never used to "break in" barrels. Just cleaned them, went out and shot. Since reading about it, the last two rifles I've bought I used a break-in procedure. Both of those guns are two of the best shooting out-of-the-box rifles I've ever owned. Could be just happenstance, but I'm now pretty convinced it does work.

SwampCollie 02-12-2008 01:08 PM

As always you are very kind to be so forthright with your knowledge and experience.
I like the idea of sliding in a spent round every once in a while to see I am flinching.
As a rule I go by myself, but doesn't mean I can't get someone to go with me one day to load the rounds for me and watch my trigger squeeze.
Boy, you know what they say about opinions.....I also post on North American Hunting Club and same thing there.......yes, no, definately, definately not, maybe, sometimes????
I'm going again this Saturday and will report back; hopefully this time with tighter groups (steady rest, control breathing, 3-5 second max aiming time with a steady squeeze).
Thanks again

No matter what side of the issue you sit on... if you follow the subscription you have listed above, it will definately improve your shooting! Good luck.

One quick thing though to ponder... I notice you listed 3-5 second max aiming time.... I tend to take as long as I need to be good and comfortable. One way that I help archers cure target panic is with a kitchen timer. I make them come to full draw and hover their pin over the target... aiming the whole time. Some shooters I swear thing that they get charged a dollar a second to have the safety off, or to be at full draw. Place your finger on the trigger and just hold it on the target... you'll catch yourself everyone once in a while start to jump. Just keep your cool... taking your time will build your confidence.... give it a try. :D

Sheridan 02-12-2008 05:38 PM

Swampcollie,
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
By aiming time(I think "they" mean),notthe time it takes to "settle in",control your breathing and ready yourself, but the actual time that you concentratewith the crosshairson the bull(3 to 5 seconds on the exact point of aim) as youSQUEEZE.
Ialsolearned that I can see the crosshairs on the target with BOTH eyes open.
Every little bit helps, so thanks again.......

gunnermhr 02-12-2008 06:04 PM

What Bronko 22000 said!! Go to Dan Lilja'a web site. He is both a gunsmith and now better know for being a barrel maker. If you look through his site you'll see the break in process he recomends. It's time consuming but he doesn't make any money on reloading components so it must be the gospal. Most all barrel Manufactures recommend a "Break-in" Procedure. You'll probably find in most factory barrels it isn't worth the time. There pretty rough. In custom barrel I would follow their recommendation. Of course until you have a custom barrel chambered you'll have as much in the barrel as you have in most of the shelf hunting rifles.

SwampCollie 02-12-2008 08:10 PM

Swampcollie,
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
By aiming time(I think "they" mean),notthe time it takes to "settle in",control your breathing and ready yourself, but the actual time that you concentratewith the crosshairson the bull(3 to 5 seconds on the exact point of aim) as youSQUEEZE.
Ialsolearned that I can see the crosshairs on the target with BOTH eyes open.
Every little bit helps, so thanks again.......
I'm with you there.

Another thing that I found too was I tend to shoot better, and in retrospect get better groups, using a lower power setting on my scope. I typically hunt with my rifle left on about 5x... so thats what I dial it in with also. Been doing it that way for a few years now. Maybe my discipline has improved, who knows, but no doubt that it has helped a lot... perhpas I concentrate a bit harder. Go get em!

kdvollmer 02-13-2008 04:47 AM

The Army Sniper school teaches break in, several other police sniper schools teach break in, and many manufacturers suggest breaking in the barrels. THESE ARE THE EXPERTS. same as the custom barrel guys...etc. Might just be food for thought.

skeeter 7MM 02-13-2008 08:28 PM

The only rules that I think should adhere to a new bore are clean it thoroughly before intial firing(make sure to remove any excess oil prior to firing) and watch your heat (shot groups of 3 or less if the ambient temperature is high).

The procedure or routines that insue with break ins vary greatly,so find one that works and go with it.

Personally I don't follow any setbreak in. I clean my bore at the end of each session, watch my heatby not firing staked groups (its not a race), my follow up groups come after the barrel returns to ambient (could be 10 mins could be longer just depends on theoutside temps)and never had a problem with accuracy or barrel life.

FA 02-14-2008 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

The only rules that I think should adhere to a new bore are clean it thoroughly before intial firing(make sure to remove any excess oil prior to firing) and watch your heat (shot groups of 3 or less if the ambient temperature is high).

The procedure or routines that insue with break ins vary greatly,so find one that works and go with it.

Personally I don't follow any setbreak in. I clean my bore at the end of each session, watch my heatby not firing staked groups (its not a race), my follow up groups come after the barrel returns to ambient (could be 10 mins could be longer just depends on theoutside temps)and never had a problem with accuracy or barrel life.
I agree, the initial cleaning is the key for removing any debris in the barrel.

Sheridan 02-19-2008 04:56 PM

Well, either I am getting better and/or this 3 to 5 shots and then clean routine is starting to pay off.
I'm now putting one inch groups at 100 yards, two inch groups at 200 yards and three inch groups at 300 yards.
I think both a clean cool barrel (long break-in) and practice (and more practice)has made the difference.
I hope to startshooting incommon hunting position soon.
I would like to thank all of you for being so informative and supportive.
"Rookie Guy"

stalkingbear 02-29-2008 06:34 AM

Everybody that has ever read many of my posts knows I'm an accuracy freak. I also happen to be ex competition shooter and gunsmith for 26+ years. I can only tell you what I do to break in a new barrel. Most think it's extreme but has proven its worth over the years. After hand lapping the bore and cleaning pryor to first shot,I clean after every shot for first 10 shots,after that,I clean after every 2-3 shots for about 20-30 rounds, depending on caliber/cartridge/etc.That consists of my own personal routine. Stay away from tubbs firelapping as I've replaced barrels where it had been used (abused?) and it ruint barrel. Always lap by hand and you won't go wrong.