HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   opinions/experiences with Ruger M77 MkII 7mmMag???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/229274-opinions-experiences-ruger-m77-mkii-7mmmag.html)

fullcircle 01-27-2008 06:02 AM

opinions/experiences with Ruger M77 MkII 7mmMag????

the one i'm getting is an 7mmMag.does anyone have any reviews/opinions on what to expect of this rifle.It's equiped with a Bushnell Elite 4-12x42 scope with the yardage adjuster.
i'd also like a fair market value on this setup in near new condition,if anyone knows.
**now that I know what cal. it actually is,give me some reviews.thanks***

Pavomesa 01-27-2008 07:48 AM

RE: opinions/experiences with Ruger M77 MkII 8mm????

Forgive my ignorance but I never knew Ruger ever chambered a rifle for the 8mm? I assume you are talking 8X57mm?

I've owned several of them as German military rifles and Ican tell you the 8mm is a fine cartridge...especially if you reload. Unfortunately it's never been a popular cartridge in America which may hurt the value. Not a lot of people jumping up and down to buy an 8X57.

fullcircle 01-27-2008 07:58 AM

I haven't got it yet.The guy said 8mm so that's what i'm going with.I'm very UN knowledgable to these big modern rifles though.
I'll know more in a couple weeks when i have it .I looked on www.ruger.com and found no 8mm listed in their caliber history section either..he says he shoots 8mm Mauser shells 196gr. around 3850 ft/sec.i'm afraid I'll have to get more information before I close the deal.I talk to the guy on the phone.he's a former USMC and seemed very personable about the whole deal.
now i'm alittle confused.[:o]

RugerMike 01-27-2008 08:26 AM

I'm not saying Ruger didn't have a rifle in 8mm but there is no record of it, that I can find. I'd say theyhave a custom version? They did make some 7x57mm, but those were pretty rare. But, the 8mm is an awesome deer and red stag, elk cartridge and certainaly capable of taking game out to 300yards maybe more It wouldn't be my first choice at any 500-700 yard range gun though. As Pavomesa stated if you reload they are a nice cartridge, if you don't shells are very limited in the US. In england and Europe and even Africa, they are a chosen favorite for a mid size cartridge. If you do infact buy this rifle I would love to see pictures of it. Please send them to [email protected]
Thanks Mike

fullcircle 01-27-2008 10:20 AM

Mike,thanks for your info.i cleared the confusion up.Seems the guy had a slight [fairly longterm]brain cramp.]his dealer called him and advised that it's the 7mm Mag. model.Go figure? right.Still going through with the deal.It might work better for me up here as a 7mm anyways.thanks to all for the info.

johnnybravoo77 01-27-2008 02:22 PM

You wont be dissappointed with this gun. My father has shot this gun for a long time and had dialed in out to 500 yds. I got the 7mm wsm this last year and its great, love them Rugers!

fullcircle 01-27-2008 03:32 PM

thanks johnny.This is the first modern rifle i've ever owned.Quite a jump from a .50 flintlock.At the very least it should be fun to familiarize myself with.i've got a brother inlaw that's big into ballistics and reloading.we should have some fun Saturdays playing around.Who knows what might happen next season.

skeeter 7MM 01-27-2008 03:59 PM

I have owned 2 MK's in my lifetime one was a shooter the other was not, both had poor triggers which were cleaned up to be much better by my gunsmith. Both harvested game and functioned fine. My shooter was a 7mm rem mag, it also kicked like a rented mule no real recoil pad and the cut out synthetic stock it wore major contributors to felt recoil.

As far as 7mm rem mag IMHOG2G for anything in NA with the exception of the BIG BEAR's (grizzly and browns). It is my primary choice for CF, harvesting everything fromyote's(little big for dogs,though when huntingbig game and an opportunity arises I rarily shy away from sending lead;))to moose at distances from30 to 500 yards. Lots of bullet selection, being your going to reload tailoring it for the usage should be fairly easy. I have owned4-7 mm rem mags and yet to have one I couldn't get shooting. My current one is a custom build on a 700 action. It's my go to/happy place....it just shoots:D!!

BTW Bushnell Elites are a good scope, should be pleased with its performance.

Enjoy and good luck.

johnnybravoo77 01-28-2008 05:05 PM

Skeeter's right, I would suggest a trigger job. Dosent cost a lot neither.

cjwink 01-29-2008 09:01 AM

3rd vote for a trigger job.. Other than that.. Your good. .