Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 How important is Locktime? >

How important is Locktime?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

How important is Locktime?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How important is Locktime?

There is probably a big difference in lock time between a, say Ruger Blackhawkand a Glock or between a T/C Encore and a Rem. 700 but too fast for the average shooter to determine.
Off a good rest or with a good hold you or I would more than likelynever notice a difference in lock time.
Muzzle end of your rifle is making an arc whether your conscious of it or not..barrel dips down,left and right and up your aim is to pull the trigger when the muzzle is where it is supposed to be when your brain says it is time . How can a fast locktime not be better in that situation ?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 AM

I wouldn't lose any sleep about the locktime on a deer rifle, but it does make a difference in a benchrest rifle. When you need or worry about thousandths of an inch, the locktime does matter.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

RH, certainly a flintlock is an extreme example. Fortunately few of us are troubled by this. The message of your quote would seem that all of us should be using Remington actions on rifles with 18" barrels to cut our lock and barrel time to minimum. But as I say in the real world we are talking absolute negligable impact. And when compared to other factors involved in making the shot...things like trajectory and terminal velocity...lock time and barrel time of modern firearms fade to near insignificanse.

This is only an issue for benchrest shooters to lie awake at night worrying about. The rest of us can roll over and get a good night's rest.
To be honest with you, if I can place all my shots in a 6" pie plate @ 300yds, I'm satisfied!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Getting a rifle to shoot is like making a large pot of Vegetable Soup. It takes alot of ingredients to make soup, and also to shoot good groups. Some ingredients are more important than other's, yet all the ingredients are necessary. I would compare lock time to the Lima Beans(man I hate Lima Beans). Tom.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Well said, guys! I think we have managed to put this subject to bed.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

wouldn't lose any sleep about the locktime on a deer rifle, but it does make a difference in a benchrest rifle. When you need or worry about thousandths of an inch, the locktime does matter.
I certainly did not mention deer rifle... I meant as a building block to an accurate rifle...3 lugs fast lock time stiff action etc etc etc. I find that guns with fast locktime are great for offhand shooting which I practice at ranges where one might have only an offhand shot Best rifles in this regard have been Sakos ..ultra fast lock time and great stock design and Remingtons there must be a reason
Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

wouldn't lose any sleep about the locktime on a deer rifle, but it does make a difference in a benchrest rifle. When you need or worry about thousandths of an inch, the locktime does matter.
I certainly did not mention deer rifle... I meant as a building block to an accurate rifle...3 lugs fast lock time stiff action etc etc etc. I find that guns with fast locktime are great for offhand shooting which I practice at ranges where one might have only an offhand shot Best rifles in this regard have been Sakos ..ultra fast lock time and great stock design and Remingtons there must be a reason
The deer rifle comment wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, I just wanted to beat someone to the punch before they posted "I killed over 1,000 critters with my Remchester XYZ, and it aint got no fast locktime" And you did post " In the general scheme of things how important is lock time.?", so it could have applied to anything from benchrestmatch rifles to truck guns.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The deer rifle comment was directed at you or anyone in particular, I just wanted to beat someone to the punch before they posted "I killed over 1,000 critters with my Remchester XYZ, and it aint got no fast locktime"

Ok
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

No old elkhunter - you said "in the general scheme of things". You didn't mention anything about building a super accurate bench rest rifle in your original post. Don't go changing your question in mid-stream.
Yeah, if I was to build a BR rifle - I would want the fastest lock time I could get, the best barrel, trigger, etc. But for my production run riflesI use for hunting I don't worry about lock time.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Spike

A good crisp trigger is more important than lock time.

Quick Reply: How important is Locktime?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.