Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Encore Barrel or new rifle? >

Encore Barrel or new rifle?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Encore Barrel or new rifle?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Encore Barrel or new rifle?

I want to get a .243 barrel for my Encore, I will have around $200. into the barrel and another $50. for the forend. not bad but I could get a Savage mod 10-16 in .243 for about $100. more. ( I can get them at dealer cost) What to do? I keep hearing of the barrel pin in the Encores slopping out and causing an inaccurate gun. Mine is tight and shoots well right now, with the ML barrel. I would just hate to buy the TC barrel and have a problem down the road with this so called pin problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Encore Barrel or new rifle?

I am in the same situation right now. I am trying to decide whether I should buy another barrel for my Encore-or the Tikka Light rifle. I am wanting another 223 Remington(truck gun-actually Kawasaki Mule gun) with a suppressor for Ground Hog hunting. I am leaning toward the Encore barrel.

I have owned and have been shooting Contender's and Encore's for 30 years. No "pin wear" yet. IMO this pin wear thing is a bit overblown. BigCountry has a great solution for that one if it is a problem. I did try the Bellm size#2 pin in my current Encore. I did this to tighten it up just a bit. I think being a little tighter might give a slight accuracy improvement. But I do not know that for sure.

I would not let the so called "pin problem" cause you any concern. IMO this problem is overblown. Tom.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

How do you like that laminated thumb hole stock? I'm looking to up grade my bolt action rifle to that.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Get the Encore barrel, you won't be disappointed. I have three Encores and a slew of barrels and I have no issues at all.

Pivot pin issues are no concern; any issues most likely result from mis-handling.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: glockman55

How do you like that laminated thumb hole stock? I'm looking to up grade my bolt action rifle to that.
I really like the Thumbhole stock. It reduces recoil by part of the recoil being taken up by your hand. I can shoot that rifle off handed better than any other rifle I have. I had a hard time finding one left handed. When I did I bought two of them. Tom.