Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Harrington&Richards

Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Harrington&Richards

I'm looking for a cheap coyote rifle in .223. H&R has a single shot rifle that sells for $270.00 including scope base, rings, and sling.

I would appreciate any reviews you folks might be able to provide. I only coyote hunt a couple of times per year so I don't want to spend a lot a money. I know this gun isn't pretty but is it functional?

Thanks in advance:
Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Harrington&Richards

I have one in 444 Marlin and it is a fine little gun. I can put 3 rounds touching at 100 yards with a 265 grain bullet..
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 PM

Extremely functional. I have a .223 in the Survivor series....thumbhole stock, and a standard rifle in .308. Both are tack drivers. Triggers can be iffy and a bit draggy at first, but they loosen up with time. I shoot both out to 300 yards regularly and both will shoot in the range of 1MOA, with the .308 being slightly more accurate....but the .223 is being fed very inexpensive ammo, so the accuracy I'm getting out of it is good considering. I do have to keep the .223 clean for the shells to extract properly....but I go a few hundred rounds between cleanings some days, so that's not horrible.

I'd definitely get it. The Survivor goes for about 40 more than the standard rifle, and has a thumbhole stock and a bull barrel.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Forgot to add....if this is strictly a coyote gun, you might consider the .22-250....accurate as well, I have a target here at the house that was shot by a friend with a H&R in the caliber...it's 1.35 inches, 3 shots, at 330 yards. Fluke, possibly,but still quite good.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks guys; I appreciate the good reviews and quick response.Looks like I'll be getting one pretty soon. I was looking at the synthetic stock model vs. the wood. $8.00 more but I think I will look at the survivor series.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Mine is going to get one of thesein a laminte before next hunting season

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/nef%20Stinger%20descrip.htm
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 PM

I used to be impressed by the Handi rifles for the price. However now you can get a decent bolt action for not much more. You can get a Stevens 200 or a Mossberg for under 300 bucks most places. The stevens is basically a Savage 110. And the Mossbergs seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Not that there is anything wrong with the H&R rifles, just that for darn near the same price you could get a multi shot bolt action instead.

Paul
Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I used to be impressed by the Handi rifles for the price. However now you can get a decent bolt action for not much more. You can get a Stevens 200 or a Mossberg for under 300 bucks most places. The stevens is basically a Savage 110. And the Mossbergs seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Not that there is anything wrong with the H&R rifles, just that for darn near the same price you could get a multi shot bolt action instead.

Paul
You are correct.. I bought a Stevens Model 200 243 for my nephew this year for 299.00. It is a pretty good little gun. The stock leaves something to be desired but nothing wrong with the gun. But as for me I like the short Handi, plus it complies with the Primative Weapon rules here in MS..
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have one in .223 and it will surprise you how accurate it is. I've shot a crow with it at 200 yards. We mainly have it just for a gun to play with but it is small enough to throw on a four wheeler or tractor and is cheap to shoot.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have an Ultra Slug 20 gauge that is a sniper rifle. My brother has a Handi Rifle in a 204 Ruger that is unbelievably accurate. My dad has one in 17HMR and at 50 yards he can shoot nickle size groups. For the money you can't beat them.

Quick Reply: Harrington&Richards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.