Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Deer Rifle

Old 11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Deer Rifle

I'm not a big fan of the 30-06 to tell the honest truth. I think they kick way more than they should, and I've never found one thats overly accurate. I have a Ruger M77MKII in 30-06 that collects dust, as well as a Remington 700 30-06 (still never been fired, I won it).

The Remington is more than likely going to be used for a donor action someday for a future project. The Ruger was my first deer rifle so it isn't going anywhere.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Those thoughts by Mr. Wakeman are very true. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM

VT Outdoorsman,
Folically Challenged has offered some insight I think you will find indispensible.
I foundit worthwhile also.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm

Enjoy!!!!

...."Captain Fantastic"..........................E.J.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM

Chuck Hawks has some great articles. I think i am leaning towards a M77 Hawkeye chambered in .270 Win for the rifle i am getting. I have been thinking about a lever action too, seeing as i am going to be hunting primarily in the woods in Vermont. But i think i like the idea of a bolt action better. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I used Ruger .270 for years. In 1995 I switched to Ruger 6.5mmSwede. If it were today, I would go with CZ 6.5mmSwede......
Old 11-28-2007, 02:09 PM
c j
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dixie Rebel

I love Ruger rifles!!!!

I suggest you get a new Ruger M-77 Hawkeye with a stainless action/synthetic stock.

As for cartridges, I suggest them in this order:

2.280 Rem
5.7mm-08
Ditto. Although I personally like 25-06 for a chambering, I've been dying to get into a .280 and that would likely suit you better if you want to get into elk or bear. Heard many many good things about 7mm-08. Same with 6.5x55.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 PM

I have also heard many good things about the 7mm-08. My buddy just got one and he loves it. He uses it in pretty much the same hunting situations which i plan on being in with this new gun.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM

VT Outdoorsman,
"They" say, that the 7mm shoots as flat as the 270 with the knock down power of the 30-06; not a bad combination.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 AM
c j
Typical Buck

As for which Ruger *model* to go with, I don't think you can go wrong with the 77. They're tough to beat, IMO. You might need to get some trigger work done, but that's not a given as some might have you believe. The 77 target/varmint triggers are excellent. Of the last two 77 Mk II's I ordered new (25-06 and 7 wsm), one had an outstanding trigger and the other was fair to good.The25-06felt like it had either work done already or a custom trigger in it and the7wsmhad a decent trigger for hunting. The 7wsm's could be better, but it wasn't bad, by any means.

I don't know anything about Ruger's lever actions (96) except that I think they're ugly. The new Mini-14 Target is quite a rifle though, from what I understand, although I'm not a fan of using a .223 for deer. Looks like it would be an excellent choice for prairie dogs/coyotes/etc or just the fun of shooting.

The Ruger model I'm in love with, though, is the #1. Unless a single shot is absolutely not your cup of tea, that would be the way to go, IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 AM

I jsut got a new rifle a few weeks ago and was debating between a Ruger M77 Hawkeye and a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite. Im not gonna say what i picked but they were both great feeling rifles and i know i would have been extremely happy with either of them. I couldnt decide between the rifles because i loved them both so i used the cartridge they were chamberd in decide for me. I ended up with a 300WSM. Now im kicking myself for not getting both of them so i know what Santa is bringing me for Christmas!

Quick Reply: Ruger Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.