Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 driving tacks?shooting lights out? >

driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Good shooting for a 22.But where are the lights or tacks?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice group, but I'd say that a dimes' width away from the bull isn't too bad. After all, we're talking about a rifle that was made in 1948, with open sights at an outdoor range at 50 yards. No offense, buta 6.5 x .284 at 100 yards isn't even stretching its legs good. That's a 1,000 yard competition round and should be expected to do this time after time. Again, no offense, but I think I'd rather have a .22 that could shoot my groups at 50 yardsthan a wildcat that could shoot those groupsat 100. Back off a little bit and see what it'll do.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

Group shooting and score shooting are 2 different things. Personally, when doing the former, I prefer to preserve my aiming point with a scope zeroed slightly off. Just my $.02
Exactly.I try to see how inherently accurate my rifles are. Many times I'm shooting at a spot and not really worrying about where the bullets are hitting. Shooting a 5 shot group that can be covered with a large bug is more satisfying to me, personally, than shooting a perfect 100 with 5 of those shots being X's andthe rest of them being wide10's. There's just something about an insanely tight group that gets my blood flowing. Especially if it's being done with "outdated" equipment.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the same way, I like my groups to be off my aiming point.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: doubleA

When it comes to shooting tacks, your gun has to have the ability to shoot "spot on", most targets with groups that I have seen posted do have nice groups but are usually not even close to the center of the bull. No offense to the group above but the X is still showing.
Below is a picture, the 100yd group was shot with a Cooper 6.5x284.I will admit I can not do this consistantly, because frankly it's very very hard to do with a hunting rifle. The inside white of the bull measures .375" (3/8") or about the size of a tack head.

IF you have a rifle that shoots like that, with a quality scope on it, you can move the group to any spot you want. I always zero my hunting rifles to hit high at 100 yards (except for BP guns). How high depends on the maximum range at which I am willing to take a shot with that rifle. But never so high as to cause midrange misses!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:25 PM

This really doesn't have anything to do with the match story, but growing up on a Nebraska farm we used to save our empty shotgun shells up and when spring rolled around have massive "hunt the shell" safari's...we'd all take 30 or 40 and go hide them in the junk pile in the pasture tree rows, bale pilesetc, then go walking side by side picking them off with our little single shot .22s...fun fun fun...they'd arch up and away, the idea was to shoot them until you cound;t see them...just keep bouncing them along....
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Persoally, when shooting groups, like others here have said, I don't want to hit the aiming point. I want the group to appear some distance off so I can still clearly see the aiming point. As was said before... If you can get a load that shoots to your satisfaction consistantly, then you can change the POI on the target to where you want.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my .220 swift target I used for load verifcation.I was going for consistincy (sp) not the X. Then I sighted my rifle in to match my round. There are 12 shots in those 4 targets.And I cant do that everyday either. But most of the time that old yote is not real happy.We practice with 20oz bottles filled with water out to 600 yards,man that is fun stuff.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Small groups are all well and good provided that you'll be shooting from a bench rest when hunting

Quick Reply: driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.