Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 driving tacks?shooting lights out? >

driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Not the most descriptive language, but it does convey the point well enough for most people.
Not well enough for me since many people that I have heard using those terms, used them to describe a rifle that fluked off a single sub 1" group,but their average group with the gun was no better than 1-1/2" or 2" for a three shot group at 100 yards.I have also heard those terms used by people that fluked off a single very difficult shot,that they have never been able to duplicate since.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like driftrider said, it's just a figure of speech. Don't get all worked up about it.

Man, that car hauls butt... Compare that 10 second camaro to a top fuel car and it is slower than a snale.

Man, she's smokin hot... Compare the hot girl next door to a centerfold and she is meerly "OK".

Man, that bucks a wall hanger for sure... Compare a South Florida"wall hanger"to a an Iowa "wall hanger" and those Iowa boys wouldn't even bat an eye.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:22 PM

hey you callin our florida deer small????yep now that is a fact our deer are small unless you go up to north florida and i mean north, like were you shoot your gun and the bullets ends up across the border close.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

hey you callin our florida deer small????yep now that is a fact our deer are small unless you go up to north florida and i mean north, like were you shoot your gun and the bullets ends up across the border close.
Can't be any smaller than the coastal North Carolina deer. First time I say one (several actually) I was driving onto Camp Lejeune for the first time at night and saw about a dozen of them in the ditch. In the darkness I thought that they were a pack of feral dogs until I got within 50 yards of them. But then again, I'm a Iowa boy, and so my perception of what a big deer ought to look like is a bit skewed. They might have been large deer in NC.

Mike

Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't worry, I live just East of Pensacola and hunt Blackwater forest, Escambia WMA, and maybe Eglin AFB.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Going to college in Montana now, and I'm missing my cornfed Iowa whitetails.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

We like trying to light matches...have yet to do it
My grandmother could do it.
She used a .22 single shot I don't recall the brand.
She was like the women that went out west in the covered wagens.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Myself and shooting buddie shoot at least one day aweek most of the year.At 100 yds we shoot mostly one inch dots or squares,if someone leaves a tack on the target butt we stick it in the center of the dot or square,if we accidently hit it we automaticely deem it a TACK DRIVER. rifle.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm not sure if this counts or not, but this little Winchester 52B will do this if I do my part at 50 yards. Bench rested of course. Wolf Match ammo. Front globe and rear peep Vaver target sights. Sorry about the picture being so big. Not sure how to reduce it.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

When it comes to shooting tacks, your gun has to have the ability to shoot "spot on", most targets with groups that I have seen posted do have nice groups but are usually not even close to the center of the bull. No offense to the group above but the X is still showing.
Below is a picture, the 100yd group was shot with a Cooper 6.5x284.I will admit I can not do this consistantly, because frankly it's very very hard to do with a hunting rifle. The inside white of the bull measures .375" (3/8") or about the size of a tack head.

Quick Reply: driving tacks?shooting lights out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.