Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 vs 270

Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 243 vs 270

ORIGINAL: Brown Dirt Cowboy

Rammer,
I appreciate everything; it helps alot.
I won't follow everything you say to the "T", but it's great insight!!!
I was born and raised in central NJ and grew-up hunting everything with shotguns.
The only rifle I owned at that time was a marlin 336C level action in 35 Remington with iron sights.
I still own it and will never "scope-it" in case I find myselfhunting big game in dense cover again.
I haven't hunted in thirty years until a buddy of mine took me out to the skeet fieldstwo years ago and rekindled the "fire" all over again.
I've shot straight on a number of occassions so I moved to "lowgun" andstarted shootingstraight doing that, so I movedto 20 gauge "low gun" and starting shooting straight with that.
I now shoot five stand "low gun", very humbling.....
I have all the shotguns I need and now want to build the "right" battery of rifles.
So now that you know my life history;
Here is my first question -223 small varmints, 243 or 270 both-varmint&deer/utility/"tweener", 270 or30-06 big game, 308 or 300 or 338 or______ dangerous game?
Is 243 and 270 a must?
I'm looking for a quality scope with; first - illuminated reticle, second - Ball Plex/BC type reticle, third - smaller MM (less than 50 mm for low mount/good cheek weld) Remember, I'm smaller.
I am thinking to put the same scope on all my rifles for the sake of familarity/ease/comfortfor those quick decision opportunities.
Now....Thanks for the pictures......Great looking "rig"!!!
243, Savage 16, medium heavy (bull barrel?), stainless&fluted.
Is that a Harris Bi-pod?
With a sling and "all", how much does the whole "set-up" weight?
I don't "sit" real well....I'm a still hunter.
Which "flip-up" lense covers do you use?
Do they make them in 44 MM?
I'm also tuff on my stuff.
Nice coyote.....Are you a pelt hunter?
I use to trap muskrats as a kid.
Is there a bounty in SD?
Someone told me they pay a bounty onevery pair of ears.......is that true?
I live in California now......screwed up hunting seasons!!!

..."sweet chocolate biscuits and red rosy apples in summer"......................E.J.

Brown - The savage is a limited run gun, its not even listed in their catalogs. I got it from my local dealer who picked up a few at the SHOT show in Reno. It is a Harris bipod in the picture, the flip-open caps are Butler Creek caps, and they make 'em for every scope that I know of. Just a guess, I'd say the gun is around the 10lb mark all dressed up, give or take a half pound. With a quality padded sling, its no problem toting it around. I am a pelt hunter. I cover a few states every winter hunting coyotes. Come mid December I will start wackin' an stackin' the dogs. There isn't a bounty here, I sell the coyotes "on the carcus" I don't skin them out myself.

When you start talking dangerous game, the minimum I'd reccomend would be a 338 (depends on what dangerous game I guess). Lets say the Big Bears, I wouldn't go after them unless I had a 338 or 375 in my hands, or a 45/70 or 444 or 450 marlin, something along those lines. I'd skip right over the 30 cals.

Since you have a 223, and a 30-06, the 243 would definately be a good in between/utility gun.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

bought one of the speciall runs in 243 like the one posted,put a new nikon 6x24 on it and zeroed.Below is how it shot without doing anything to it.
Have an older model rem classic and it will shoot also.
Savage:

Rem classic:

Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is my first question -223 small varmints, 243 or 270 both-varmint&deer/utility/"tweener", 270 or30-06 big game, 308 or 300 or 338 or______ dangerous game?
Is 243 and 270 a must?
Just wanted to make a couple quick observations here. First, if you have a .30-06, there's really no need to add a .270 to the mix. It's a bit redundant.

You should have the .308 in the same category as the .270 and .30-06, not with the .300+ Magnums.

For a cartridge between .223 and .30-06, that uses bullets between 55 and 100 gr., you're pretty much stuck with .243. That's about the only one I know of that fits your description. And, you're not really "stuck". The .243 is a great round. I've used mine on game ranging from jackrabbits, to wild boar, to whitetails, and it's performed perfectly on all of them...
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Herman - I see you have a 6X24 Nikon that you like.
The burris I'm considering is a 4-16X, would you say that is good out to 300 yards for a rookie guy.
It seems you like the 234 cartridge as aback-upgun for 223 and 30-06 also?

icscshooter - So the 270 for you is not a MUST?
I know 308 is lite, but I hear that is excellent for autoloaders.
You also like the 243 as a"tweener" for 223 and 30-06?

..."stepping in the ring"......................E.J.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Rammer,
For you the 270 is not a MUST?
So after the 30-06, "skip over the 30 cals", all together?
You like the 338for big bears, because that isthe top end for me?
Everything in bolt action?
What about autoloaders?

Thanks as always,

..."for we are spinning out our lines walking on the wire"...............................E.J.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

icscshooter - So the 270 for you is not a MUST?
I know 308 is lite, but I hear that is excellent for autoloaders.
You also like the 243 as a"tweener" for 223 and 30-06?
If you've already got a .30-06, the .270 is not a must. Keep in mind, I'm not saying anything bad about the .270 here. It's a truly great cartridge. But, anything that you can do with the .270, you can already do with the .30-06. They're just too close that there's not a significant difference (except that the 06 is more versatile due to the ability to shoot bullets greater than 150 gr., so it'll work well on larger game where the .270 might be a bit marginal).

The .308 is also a virtual clone of the .30-06. But, if you consider the .308 to be a "dangerous game" cartridge, then you should consider the .30-06 to be in that category as well. The .308 is about 100 or so fps slower. It'll do just about anything the '06 will, and is available in a shorter action, which weighs in its favor if you hunt from a blind. All of the calibers we're talking about are available in semi-auto rifles. My first deer rifle was a Remington 742 in .30-06.

The .243 is an outstanding "tweener" cartridge between the .223 and the '06, particularly given the bullet sizes in your initial post.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

The burris is a good scope,I just set up a rem 260 for a fellow a couple weeks ago and that is what he had on the 260(4x16)
I have several burris scopes and they are fine scopes.
I like the new nikon also got it to go on a 22/250 but got the new savage in 243 so decided to put it on it to try it out will put it on the 22/250 later.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rammer,
For you the 270 is not a MUST?
So after the 30-06, "skip over the 30 cals", all together?
You like the 338for big bears, because that isthe top end for me?
Everything in bolt action?
What about autoloaders?

Thanks as always,

..."for we are spinning out our lines walking on the wire"...............................E.J.
I personally like the 270s, I reload for them for my buddies, I don't and have never owned one. I am actually considering buying one in a lightweight bolt gun for my west walking gun. My 7mm Rem Mag gets heavy after a few days of toting it around.

I should say I have never hunted big bears, but from everyone I know that has, most outfitters won't allow their clients to shoot 30 calibers, no matter if it is a 300 Rem Ultra Mag or a 30-06, etc.

I do own some semi-auto rifles. I have a few AR15s, and an old Winchester 100 in 308. If I was buying an autoloader rifle, I'd go with the Browning BAR in 338, my dad carried one on his last elk hunt and he was impressed with it. I would be hesitant to carry a semi auto on dangerous game. I'd want a Controlled Feed bolt gun.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Rammer/jeepkid/ipscshooter/herman/retrieverman,
The time has come; Does this battery got any "HOLES" in it; is there a must have not listed here in your opinion?
223, 243, 30-06, 338
Name ANY scope which meets all criteria 1. Illuminated reticle 2. Ball plex/B&C reticle 3. Excellent low light glass 4. Less then 50 MM

Thanks to ALL of you for your imput and sharing your passion with me.

..."from here on sonny sonny sonny, it's a long and lonely climb"..........................Elton John
Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rammer/jeepkid/ipscshooter/herman/retrieverman,
The time has come; Does this battery got any "HOLES" in it; is there a must have not listed here in your opinion?
223 rem, 243 win, 30-06 sprng, 338 Win Mag
Name ANY scope which meets all criteria 1. Illuminated reticle 2. Ball plex/B&C reticle 3. Excellent low light glass 4. Less then 50 MM

Thanks to ALL of you for your imput and sharing your passion with me.

..."from here on sonny sonny sonny, it's a long and lonely climb"..........................Elton John
PERFECT!! You will be ready for anything in North America and most stuff in Africa.

You also might try the "Optics" forum, there are some more guys that would be able to help with the scope. 2,3,4 are pretty easy, but I don't know of many with an Illuminated reticle, I know Leopold does, but I have never used one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.