Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 vs 270

Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Default RE: 243 vs 270

Retrieverman - The question is; is the 243 the best "utility" gun/ "betweener" as I have a 223 and a 30-06 already?
jeepkid - I was told that a 24" barrel is the ONLY way to go in 243; Savage, Remington or otherwise.
I agree the Remington looks like better quality; fit and finish, etc.
I understand that Ziess and Swarovski are the "top of the line", and that everyone recommends Leupold.
I'm considering Burris Illuminated Ball/Plex 4-16X 44MM; as I hear you get the BIGGEST bang for your buck in terms of clarity and brigtness (the glass).
I use Cabela's for everything I can; and have NEVER been dissappointed as long as you do your home work.
Johnny Bravoo77 - I am looking at that new Ruger M77 Hawkeye; What is the drop at comb?
Rebel Hog -I have a 223anda 30-06; What I need is a "utility" gun / "back-up" for both varmint and deer. 243 0r 270?

..."raised and regimented"......................E.J.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have a Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse etc... anywhere close to you? If you do, go there and check out all the scopes in person. A scope that is really nice to me, might be blurry to the next guy. I don't have any first hand experience with new Burris optics, so I can't recommend them, but from what I read/hear they are pretty nice. The one I forgot to mention was Pentax, they have an awesome warranty. If it breaks (for whatever reason) just bring it back to the store you bought it from, and they will give you a brand new one right there. I have used them, with the ballistic plex type reticle, and it was very nice. I actually think they might own Burris....not to sure though...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 PM

Rammer,
I appreciate everything; it helps alot.
I won't follow everything you say to the "T", but it's great insight!!!
I was born and raised in central NJ and grew-up hunting everything with shotguns.
The only rifle I owned at that time was a marlin 336C level action in 35 Remington with iron sights.
I still own it and will never "scope-it" in case I find myselfhunting big game in dense cover again.
I haven't hunted in thirty years until a buddy of mine took me out to the skeet fieldstwo years ago and rekindled the "fire" all over again.
I've shot straight on a number of occassions so I moved to "lowgun" andstarted shootingstraight doing that, so I movedto 20 gauge "low gun" and starting shooting straight with that.
I now shoot five stand "low gun", very humbling.....
I have all the shotguns I need and now want to build the "right" battery of rifles.
So now that you know my life history;
Here is my first question -223 small varmints, 243 or 270 both-varmint&deer/utility/"tweener", 270 or30-06 big game, 308 or 300 or 338 or______ dangerous game?
Is 243 and 270 a must?
I'm looking for a quality scope with; first - illuminated reticle, second - Ball Plex/BC type reticle, third - smaller MM (less than 50 mm for low mount/good cheek weld) Remember, I'm smaller.
I am thinking to put the same scope on all my rifles for the sake of familarity/ease/comfortfor those quick decision opportunities.
Now....Thanks for the pictures......Great looking "rig"!!!
243, Savage 16, medium heavy (bull barrel?), stainless&fluted.
Is that a Harris Bi-pod?
With a sling and "all", how much does the whole "set-up" weight?
I don't "sit" real well....I'm a still hunter.
Which "flip-up" lense covers do you use?
Do they make them in 44 MM?
I'm also tuff on my stuff.
Nice coyote.....Are you a pelt hunter?
I use to trap muskrats as a kid.
Is there a bounty in SD?
Someone told me they pay a bounty onevery pair of ears.......is that true?
I live in California now......screwed up hunting seasons!!!

..."sweet chocolate biscuits and red rosy apples in summer"......................E.J.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM

jeepkid,
Pentax, good recommendation.
I have to check them out.
My big points (a MUST) are; Illuminated reticle, Ball Plex / B&C reticle, +/- 40 MM (NOT 50 MM).
Oh yea......excellent glass, good in extream low light conditions (dawn and dusk)!!!!

...."fantastic the feedback".....................E.J.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brown Dirt Cowboy

jeepkid,
Pentax, good recommendation.
I have to check them out.
My big points (a MUST) are; Illuminated reticle, Ball Plex / B&C reticle, +/- 40 MM (NOT 50 MM).
Oh yea......excellent glass, good in extream low light conditions (dawn and dusk)!!!!

...."fantastic the feedback".....................E.J.
Where do you live in Cali? I live here too.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM

jeepkid,
I'm living in San Diego and belong to a hunting club called "My Country Club", up by Lake Henshaw.
What about you?

..."from the end of the worldinto your town".............E.J.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm up here by Yosemite, but I have a few friends down in SD. I am going to be going down there this winter to visit them hopefully.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM

jeepkid,
Do you have alot of good public hunting up there?
Are youcoming down to San Diego this winter to see friends and get out of the weather.
Let me know then you come to town, meet for a drink, bull**** about hunting........
If you shoot shotguns, bring one with you and will go shoot some five stand.

....."with a desperate desire for change"....................E.J.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brown Dirt Cowboy

jeepkid,
Do you have alot of good public hunting up there?
Are youcoming down to San Diego this winter to see friends and get out of the weather.
Let me know then you come to town, meet for a drink, bull**** about hunting........
If you shoot shotguns, bring one with you and will go shoot some five stand.

....."with a desperate desire for change"....................E.J.

We have LOTS of public ground, I live about 1 mile from the Stanislaus National Forest, plus I have some private land I can hunt.
Just to visit them, ones in the Navy (was in Guam) and it been a while since I've saw him. I shoot sporting clays, but never 5-stand, sounds like fun though. I'll let you know when I make it down.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM

jeepkid,
I'm green with eny for all the GOOD hunting you have in your back yard, but I must tell you I don't know if I could LIVE in the COLD anymore.
I am very much looking forward to shooting some sporting claysonce thehunting season is over.
Let me know when youcome to San Diego and bring a shotgun asI am a member at San Diego Shotgun Sports; pretty nice facility.

..."we've thrown in the towel too many times"...........................E.J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.