Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

243 vs 270

Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 vs 270

ORIGINAL: Rammer

The 243 will be a dandy backup gun for the 223 and 30-06. I wouldn't hesitate taking big game (bigger than deer) with my 243. I use my 243 as a backup to my 7mm Rem mag. I actually use my 243s for all my varmint shooting. I have +/- 3500 rounds thru the tube in my Tikka and its still shooting good. These are all hot handloads too I might add.

I'm a Leupold/Nikon guy myself. I have a few Leupold VX-IIs, a few Vari-Xs, a Mark 4 tactical, and a few others. For Nikons the Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 is one of the best buys in optics in my opinion. It is just as bright in low light as the Leupold VXIIs, and its better than my Zeiss Conquest in low light. The one thing I don't care for with the Nikon is the adjustments, they aren't 1/4" as stated. Then again I have one of the first ones to come out, and I have officially beat that thing to hell an back, but it keeps going.

I have a buddy that bought the Ballistic Plex Burris you speak of, only I have no experience with it yet, and he hasn't even fired the AR15 he has it mounted on. As for illuminated reticles, I also have no experience. I see them as one more thing to fail in the field, so I avoid them.
Thats what Iwas thinking about the illuminated reticles too, the battery would end up dying right when a big buck steps out at dusk.

I have looked through the Ballistic reticle scopes, and for me, there is just too much going on with them. I would rather have a duplex or dot and then just get target turrets calibrated for my load. Just my opinion though

Rammer, thats awesome you have that many rounds through yours. I didn't think they would last that long.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 PM

Rammer,
Thank you for your time and advise, you are very kind to share your knowledge and experience.
Plus, anyone who uses the word "dandy" must be a honest john and not impressed with himself.
The first scope innovation that caught myeye was the leupold VX-L, as I am small in stature my feeling is this would enable me to maintain a good/low cheek well.
Are you familar with this model?
Second, is the Ball Plex/boone&crocket type reticles - simplicity for holding at 100, 200, 300 +...
Lastly, these illuminated reticles are touted as the BEST innovation too come along in many years, keep in mind if the batteries die youstill see the cross hairs in black.
Back to the question of barrel life of the 243; you say 3500 rounds of HOT loads with no noticable effect, so normal factory loads should not even be a issue(CORRECT?)?
By the way, my bino's are Nikon Monarch 12X42.
It' the guys at Bolsa gunsmith who don't like Leupold, they recommend Swarovski (or Burris for the money).

..."do the papers say anything good"....................E.J.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am familiar with the Leupold VX-L. One of my buddies has one, and he beats the crud out of his guns like me, and he has had 0 glitches. So I am impressed. His is the 56mm objective one. I also like the ballistic plex/BC reticles. I don't currently own one of them, but am very familiar with the mil-dot scopes, which serve the same purpose. I am going to send my Mark 4 Tactical off to leupold as soon as I get the time this winter to do some chrony work on my 7mm. I am having them match a custom reticle to my load of choice.

Normal loads out of the 243 should have no affect on it compared to my reloads. In fact in those 3500rds I've only cleaned the barrel good twice. I'm a firm believer in not messing with something that ain't broken.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Rammer/jeepkid,
Happy Thanksgiving - I hope you spent it with ALL of your families.
Only one question left.... Remington 700 SPS DM or Savage 16 FCSS?
I know you would say it depends on want I "like/want", but please offer pros and cons on both models.
Keep in mind, I am 5'6'' 165 Lbs using this for stalking BOTH varmint(55gr.) and "smaller" big game(100gr.).
First the Remington; 7.5 Lbs, 24" blued carbon steel barrel with 9 1/8 rate of twist
Second the Savage; 6.5 Lbs, 22" stainless steel barrel with 9 1/4 rate of twist.
Both are synthetic and both have detachable magazines.
Also recommend a scope; manufacture, model, power, size(most importantly why?).
Thanks again to the both of you for taking the time to "share" you expertise with me!!!!

..."hardly a hero, just somebody's mother might know"......................E.J.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

For an "in betweener", I would definitely go for a 243. I have killed several deer with the caliber and have had great success. My favorite bullet weights is 100 gr.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brown Dirt Cowboy

Rammer/jeepkid,
Happy Thanksgiving - I hope you spent it with ALL of your families.
Only one question left.... Remington 700 SPS DM or Savage 16 FCSS?
I know you would say it depends on want I "like/want", but please offer pros and cons on both models.
Keep in mind, I am 5'6'' 165 Lbs using this for stalking BOTH varmint(55gr.) and "smaller" big game(100gr.).
First the Remington; 7.5 Lbs, 24" blued carbon steel barrel with 9 1/8 rate of twist
Second the Savage; 6.5 Lbs, 22" stainless steel barrel with 9 1/4 rate of twist.
Both are synthetic and both have detachable magazines.
Also recommend a scope; manufacture, model, power, size(most importantly why?).
Thanks again to the both of you for taking the time to "share" you expertise with me!!!!

..."hardly a hero, just somebody's mother might know"......................E.J.

I am a Remington guy myself. The fit and finish is nicer, the longer barrel is better (especially with the bigger bullets). Almost all full custom rifles are made from the 700 action, there are tons of aftermarket parts for them also. Some people say Savage, but I personally prefer Remingtons.

Depending on how much you want to spend on a scope. Zeiss is most likely the best "deal" for high quality optics. The Burris you were wanting would do just fine also. If you are on a tight budget, I would look at the Cabelas Tactical line. They are $150 for a 3-12x40 and come with target knobs already calibrated. I have the 6-18x40 on my .223 and it works great for a cheap scope. The Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 is most likely want I will put on my .243 AI, either that or the Zeiss, or maybe the Monarch... I just need to check them all out in person on the rifle.

Hope that helps
Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Remington SPS DM isn't available in Stainless, or I would have one. The regular SPS line rusts very easily. Its like a painted on finish, that isn't very durable. They do shoot very well though.
The Savage 16s are very good rifles as well. They come with Accu-Triggers, and are fully adjustable by you. The one downfall is the cheap "tupperware" stocks on them. I have a limited run model 16, with a medium heavy stainless/fluted barrel in 243, and it shoots very well. Mine has the hinged floorplate for a magazine system.

Scopes........On my Tikka 243 I have a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with the fine crosshairs, and I absolutely love it for varmint shooting. I have all my 243s shooting 60gr Sierra HPs for varmints/coyotes. I sight in 2" high at 100 yards, and at 300 yards I can hold on the lid of a 20 ounce pop bottle full of water and hit it dead center about half way down. Its a great, flat shooting go getting coyote load. With 95gr Combined Technology BTs (the best deer load I have found for the 243) I use the same zero and can blow up 20 ounce pop bottles no problem at 300 yards.

My Savage wears a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 which is one of the best buys in rifle scopes in my opinion. You can pick them up for 260-280, and they are a tough scope, and just as good as Leupolds/Zeiss in low light. I know, because I own them all and have looked thru them all side-by-side on the same power settings.

I would probably stay away from a 3-9 power scope, and get at least a 4-12 or a 4.5-14. I had a 6-18 Nikon and it was a dog in low light, couldn't get the power low enough to gather light.

Hope this helps you out some.

Here is my savage:

My Tikka:

That coyote was a Texas Heart Shot, and no exit.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

243 is a great caliber. Ive shot a lot of deer with my Ruger m77. The Leupold vx-L is the cats meow. I just got the 3.5-10x50mm on my 7mm wsm; its awsome.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

You already have a .30-06, you don't need a .270.....And you want a short action above .223? Go with 7mm-08..
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

You already have a .30-06, you don't need a .270.....And you want a short action above .223? Go with 7mm-08..
Yeah, but, he wants to shoot small varmint bullets (55gr.) and also deer bullets (100gr.)...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.