Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless >

Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless

Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless

After missing a nice 8-point yesterday I decided that it is time to upgrade to a new gun. I currently shoot a 30-30 that was my grandfathers, bought back in 1946. This gun has iron sights and has killed several deer. The problem is that I want to start using a scope, and I do not want to destroy my current rifle by putting a scope on it.

I want a stainless rifle in 30-06 that has a detach box magazine. The two that I have found are the Browning A-bolt stainless stalker and the Tikka T3 hunter stainless.

I would like some feedback from those of you that own these guns. I want to buy one gun that will last me for a very long time. I hear nothing but good things about the browning, and I do not know much about the tikka. All i could find out is that the tikka is the econoline of Sako...this worries me. I hear econoline and I think cheap. Let me know if any of you have any advice. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless

I will not say anything negative about the Tikka, as I have heard many positive comments about them. I have the Browning stainless in .30-06 and I really like the gun. It is accurate, light, and durable with the stainless finish. You can use the magazine as a conventional top loaing magazine, then drop the floorplate and make the rifle safe without having to completely unload the gun. I think you will like it.
Will
Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned an a-bolt and have fired a few t-3 rifles.Without a doubt,I prefer the t-3 as it has a better trigger,and I much prefer the magazine to the over designed a-bolt magazine system.The t-3 also comes with a MOA accuracy guarantee while the a-bolt comes with none.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM

the T3 hunter is a timber stocked rifle, too. if the elements are a factor (and i assume you're looking at the composite browning for that reason),and you want to compare the two companies "equivalents", you'd be looking at a T3 Lite.

For what it's worth, i have a Tikka T3 and my mate has a Browning stalker. Both are excellent. i would give "feel" to the browning, but this particular Tikka shoots better (just). Tikka's are not really economy Sako's - they are a design all of their own, that benefit from Sako's attention to tolerances and barrels.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:29 PM

I have never shot a Tikka, but own a stainless A-bolt in .338. The gun feels right to me and shoots excellent. I can vouch for the gun holding up. The 6 years I guided in the Selway, my A-bolt was put through more abuse than you could abuse onein a life time and still looks great.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

While there's nothing wrong with the tikka,I highly prefer browning a-bolt and I am a gunsmith with 26+ years of experience.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Heard the tikka has a pulled barrel while the browning has forged...any truth?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both are great rifle, but I'd give the nod to the Browning.

One thing I'd also consider is a Savage. If you want a synthetic stock, stainless steel with a VERY good trigger (Accu-Trigger) and a very well done detachable magazine, consider the Savage Model 116FCSS ( http://www.savagearms.com/116fcss.htm ) which is offered in .30-06 among others. Also, chances are pretty good that it'll outshoot both the A-Bolt and T3 right out of the box. I have a Model 111GCNS (blued, wood, detachable box) .30-06 that shoots sub-MOA with $15/box Winchester Super-X 150gr Power Points.

Might be worth considering from a performance/value perspective.

Mike

Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Group on the top measures right at 1" center-to-center, and the one on the bottom left is just slightly over 1/2" c-to-c and can be completely covered by the shown nickle. Not bad for a out-of-the-box $450 sporter-weight rifle with factory ammo (and the cheap stuff no less). If I were to handload for it (my stuff is packed away due to limited space[:@]), I'm sure I could get it down to sub-3/4" consistantly.

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Love my Tikka T3 300 Win Mag. Had it camoed at bell and carlson. Reliable, sweet shooter.

Quick Reply: Browning A-Bolt stainles stalker or the Tikka T3 hunter stainless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.