HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Remington 700 CDL vs BDL (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/210113-remington-700-cdl-vs-bdl.html)

adamsdad 10-03-2007 09:21 AM

Remington 700 CDL vs BDL

Any one own a Reminfton 700 CDL? It is my 40th coming up and my wife is letting me get a new rifle. $800 limit and I have always had good luck with Remington. I own a BDL and am pleased with it, I recently saw a CDL and thought it was a very nice looking rifle I can get it for $759. Any thoughts or advice out there? :eek:

Folically Challenged 10-03-2007 11:37 AM

RE: Remington 700 CDL vs BDL

I couldn't be more thrilled with my CDL. It fits me like a glove, & I think it's the sexiest rifle out there by far. The R3 (Limbsaver) padmakes a HUGE difference in felt recoil. I've found some factory ammo that it likes well enough to print inside 1" in the vast majority of range sessions, and I drew blood with it for the first time 2 weeks ago on a nice bull elk in BC.

If you like the looks of it, then go for it. I went with the CDL over the BDL because I liked the feel of the stock better (slimmer fore end & grip), and the lower luster of the finish. I see where they've come out with a couple o' variants recently, with fluted barrels, stainless barrels, & laminate stocks, & whatnot. I'm sure they're all about the same, but feel free to go with whatever floats your boat. The 700 action has proven itself for generations, and it's rare that you come across one that's not a shooter.

There are M70 guys out there, & A-bolt guys, and M77 guys, and 700 guys... It's kind of like Ford/Chevy/Dodge: They'll all get the job done, so it comes down to which one makes you feel the best when you're holding it in the field. Every time I pick up that rifle, I just smile.

BTW... is the $800 budget just for the rifle, or does your significant other expect you to include the scope in that sum, too? I'd suggest sweet-talking her for another $400, and getting a Zeiss Conquest to top-off that beauty! Oh, and you'll need $50+ for rings & mounts, and $30+ for a sling...

SEND US PICTURES!

FC

Hunting the North 10-03-2007 01:22 PM

I bought a Rem 700 XCR in .30-06 last fall on clearance for $675. I am very happy with it. Extemely accurate.

adamsdad 10-03-2007 01:47 PM

Thanks for the posts. Folically challenged, the $800 is just for the rifle. I have a Leupold VX-III that I got for Fathers day just waiting for the new gun. I have a Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 that can shoot better than any other gun I own. That is the main reason I am looking at Remington. I really think the CDL is a nice looking gun too. Good Hunting and congratulations on the elk. I have hunted in BC tons when I was younger growing up in Washington state. You cannot beat the scenery or the wildlife.

zrexpilot 10-03-2007 03:00 PM

25 years ago I thought the BDL was the sexiest gun around, now I just cant stand shiny glossy stocks, the CDL to me is sswwwweeeet looking.
That or a laminated stocks. No gloss or synthetic for me. But thats just me.

jd3006 10-03-2007 03:39 PM

I'm crazy about my CDL/ Zeiss Conquest 3006. It's not a tackdriver but that could very well be the trigger puller. It was plenty accurate enough last hunting seaon to drop 2 bucks with 2 shots (one at a lasered 275 yards). What more do I need? I want one of the new stainless CDL's now.

Borty77 10-03-2007 05:58 PM

I just got the CDL Stainless Fluted 7mm08 and it is now my favorite rifle. I spotted this gun in the new catalog last year and couldn't wait to get one. It shoots tight groups with winchester ballistic silvertips. I can't wait to try it out on the deer.

Folically Challenged 10-03-2007 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: adamsdad

...I have a Remington 700 BDL in 25-06 that can shoot better than any other gun I own. ...

So what cartridge are you lookin' at for the CDL? From a .25-'06, are you steppin' up to a 300 WM, or maybe the Whelen? But for the dearth o' factory ammo choices, I'd be awfully sweet on the latter!

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_CDL_specs.asp

What's your inclination?

FC

Pawildman 10-03-2007 09:37 PM

I certainly like the old wood-stocked BDL's just fine, but when the CDL came out, I started to foam at the mouth and made little wimpering sounds until I got mine. I went for the 7-08 and haven't looked back. Sweet looking gun, satin finish, and shoots excellent. I couldn't be happier.

adamsdad 10-04-2007 07:29 AM

I don't handload so I am staying with a caliber that has lots of different offerings. The 270 is what i am looking at, I already have a 7mm-08, 30-06, 308. Thanks for all of the posts. The CDl is looking better and better.