HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Nylon 66 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/207964-nylon-66-a.html)

Brod_Man 09-20-2007 06:22 PM

Nylon 66

does anyone have one? i have one, and the back sight is broke, and it has scope mounts but no scope dad has a scope in the cabinet but hasnt mounted it yet. just wonderin if anyone likes the gun. i like the way it feels cause its so lite. just wonderin.

stalkingbear 09-21-2007 02:24 PM

RE: Nylon 66

I have had a couple nylon 66s and liked em really well. The only thing to beware of is stripping for cleaning as they are complicated. They have a 3/8 groove in top of reciever so I assume you mean it has rings.

Buffinator 09-24-2007 07:17 PM

we have one. black and stainless. sweet looking gun.

TUK101 09-24-2007 11:09 PM

I used to have one and it shot great.

RugerMike 09-25-2007 12:30 PM

The back sights are prone to breakage infact I have on in the shop now with a broken one that someone decided to over tighten. They are grooved for 22 rings to mount a scope easily. The one that said he had a stainless/ black version, is actually nickel finish? And take heed on the advice about taking them apart, they are a Pain in the A** to put back together if you don't know what you are doing. And MORE IMPORTANTLY "NEVER USE ANY SOLVENT" on these rifles inside or out. It will flat eat up all the plastic parts. So be very careful when cleaning these rifles.

USNRETHunter 10-02-2007 03:05 PM

I have one that I bought at gun show about 30 years ago for $25 bucks. It still shoots like a champ. The great thing about Nylon 66's is, if you run out of ammo you can use it to club racoons to death, throw it in the back of your pickup, drive home, get more ammo, and go back and keep shooting. Oh, and someone cleans a 66? (just kidding....sorta)

barrabas74 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

I have a brown and blued one that my father gave me as a kid. Still shoots great and really reliable. They are fun to shoot and great for getting new shooters involved with.

stevea 10-22-2007 05:20 PM

I've had mine for over 30 years. Bought it new and had a 3X9 Variable scope mounted. I can't recall how many rounds I have put through it without ever having a jam or misfire. I have now passed the torch (Nylon 66) to my son. It was a very ambivalent time for me. I love the gun and was happy to pass it on to my son, but at the same time, I love my gun and I was giving it away!!

I currently own a Ruger 10/22 SS which I am eager to customize. I must say that I enjoy loading "regular" magazines than pulling out the loading tube from the Nylon 66 and dropping the cartridges into the loading hole in the butt of the stock. Long ago, my friends would have loaded their 10/22's and been on to the next reloading before I would have finished loading my 66. Still is a great rimfire rifle!

jsb57 10-24-2007 01:09 AM

My cousin has one and he loves it very light to carry and very reliable, plus from what i have seen at some gun shows they are getting very pricy. Seen them in the upper $200 range as of late